• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FFG(X): Constellation-class

BigRed389

None
If only for its distinguished action during the Red October incident in 1986, Reuben James should make a comeback.

Made all the sense in the world in hindsight hearing the USN supported production of Hunt For Red October after seeing the success of Top Gun. Sounds like number of OCS/NA guys wanting Jets right after that other movie skyrocketed, and would have really messed with the 42% select rate.

The Reuben James had a pretty big sendoff:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Since the price tag of the FFGx will be $0.8-1.2B per hull, I wonder what the hull price of DDGx will be. So much for not wrapping billion-dollar hulls around lethality.

Last edited:

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
I wonder what the hull price of DDGx will be

Destroyer skipper Gilday seemingly goes in a wake of Stavridis (though not CNO but quite powerful Shoe mind), a destroyer skipper too, who evidently followed another destroyer skipper, Zumwalt himself: moderate hull with moderate price but with luxury of weapon choice. Since there wasn't a single aviator in CNO chair for two decades, no wonder that Shoes in there eventually had the time to elaborate reasonable approach to surface mainstream.

Birdbrain

pilot
Think it's gonna be another foreign design? I'm not saying anything about whether that's good or bad, but I find it curious that the United States Navy is using an Italian and French ship design to build an entire new class of USN Frigates.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Think it's gonna be another foreign design? I'm not saying anything about whether that's good or bad, but I find it curious that the United States Navy is using an Italian and French ship design to build an entire new class of USN Frigates.

Were you aware that both LCS classes are built by foreign firms? Marinette is a subsidiary of Fincantierri (they'll also build the Constellation-class there) and Austal USA is a subsidiary of Austal, an Australian firm.

Just kind of the name of the game in these days of corporate acquisitions and mergers.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

I doubt this is going to go into production by 2025. It takes far too long to get through the requirements generation and approval process just to start design talks. Unless we use a proven design, and there are very few DDG designs in the world, then it will take a far longer time to get to the point where we can start building hulls.

Since the price tag of the FFGx will be $0.8-1.2B per hull, I wonder what the hull price of DDGx will be. So much for not wrapping billion-dollar hulls around lethality.

Probably far more expensive since it's not going to be an "off the shelf" design. It's the classic SWO problem where the Surface guys want a ship that can do everything without any compromises. I'm sure it will see the same amount of requirements creep that we have had with other programs which will balloon the price as well.

The point of the buying a foreign design was to use a proven hull so that we could reduce the amount of engineering and time it takes put the ship into production. The European FFGs are surprisingly capable and rival our DDGs as far as mission capabilities are concerned. I'm actually really pleased they didn't try and shoehorn the LCS hulls into the FFG role since that would have been a disaster.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
It's the classic SWO problem where the Surface guys want a ship that can do everything without any compromises

Then again, warning: this would be another Kirov-class CGN in size and cost. There was just the same with this "battlecruiser" - concur, a stigma on average surface design of missile era - do namely everything and by any means. Merging the submarine hunter and carrier killer down in one hull, put AAW batteries here and there, nuke boilers and common boilers, a flight of helos in hull hangar, blackjack and hookers etc. with the result in a kind of a nuke surface combattant which no one can call "small", though not a carrier.