• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FFG(X): Constellation-class

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
FIFY. I’ll take a cook any day if it happens to be a cook who was awarded the Navy Cross and died in service to our country. That’s not meant to come off snippy, and on the topic I appreciate respect for the legacy of other names borne by the class. Constellation is a great example, and there are a ton of CV names out there that would be great to bring back.
I agree, I would rather see a warship named for a fighting Sailor over one named for a politician any day.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
LCS to frigate was certainly a stretch, but it did give them a chance to repurpose into something useful. I don't think there will be a place for a corvette in the US Navy. But we could unload them in FMSs calling them corvettes. They have to lose their LCS stink and lots of counties operate corvette size vessels.
In the truest sense of the word I think the LCS could be classed as a frigate. Not every navy mission requires you to be chained to a carrier and coastal work will be needed, small boys dealt with, and maybe even small raids. That said, they will have to lose their "LCS stink."

Pags

N/A
pilot
Norwegian NSM (RGM-184A)

also Hellfire (AGM-114L) as ASuW capability but I can see how that wouldn’t count
Not really the same.

The G generally implies an advanced level of integration of ship, missiles, sensors, and associated combat systems, eg AEGIS. Also it seems that the G also tends to align with AW capability.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Not really the same.

The G generally implies an advanced level of integration of ship, missiles, sensors, and associated combat systems, eg AEGIS. Also it seems that the G also tends to align with AW capability.
Alright. Not falling on my sword for this one. Then let's name it an "LC" for "Littoral Corvette" and call it a day.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I got a tour of the Italian version of this last year. Good stuff. Glad we ditched the stupid LCS design. Sell those to whoever will buy them in a decade.

Anyone know what the helo plan is?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Does raytheon have their own anechoic chamber? If so, where and how big?

Yes. It's bigger than a bread box and somewhere within CONUS. :p

If you seriously want to know, I can shoot you an e-mail with details.

In the truest sense of the word I think the LCS could be classed as a frigate. Not every navy mission requires you to be chained to a carrier and coastal work will be needed, small boys dealt with, and maybe even small raids. That said, they will have to lose their "LCS stink."

Depends. Most warships these days are delineated based upon length or tonnage. Being under 400 feet long puts the LCS in the corvette range which isn't a bad thing. We need small ships to handle all of the missions we do that aren't doing ASW or protecting the carrier. A corvette would be perfect for that role. Unfortunately, many of the proposed weapons systems that were supposed to be installed on the LCS either never panned out, got canceled, or are decades away from viability.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
LCG - Littoral Corvette, Guided-missile

Easy day. Next question. :D
Not really the same.

Alright. Not falling on my sword for this one. Then let's name it an "LC" for "Littoral Corvette" and call it a day.

The NATO standard designation for corvettes is FFL. Or call it a Light Frigate, if Chevy is going to get testy about copyrights.

I’m just glad they dropped the idea to name it Agility. Bad enough without naming it after EMBA buzzwords.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yes. It's bigger than a bread box and somewhere within CONUS. :p

If you seriously want to know, I can shoot you an e-mail with details.

Depends. Most warships these days are delineated based upon length or tonnage. Being under 400 feet long puts the LCS in the corvette range which isn't a bad thing. We need small ships to handle all of the missions we do that aren't doing ASW or protecting the carrier. A corvette would be perfect for that role. Unfortunately, many of the proposed weapons systems that were supposed to be installed on the LCS either never panned out, got canceled, or are decades away from viability.
Someone else already said...also the RTN webpage lists it out. Always good to know where there are other high demand, low density assets. I spent a few months scouring the states for time in an anechoic facility and never knew this was out there. Eventually my good looks and winning personality got me time in the Pax chamber.