• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FFG(X): Constellation-class

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
7,400 tons, VLS, towed array sonar, SPY radar, helicopter plus robocopter, that's a CLG. I like it. I like so far.

I might have missed it in the wiki write-up but does it have two screws or one?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What happened to the LCS reclasification to frigate?

Notanaviator

Contributor
It's certainly better than naming a capital warship after a segregationist Senator whose contribution to the Naval Service was signing NDAA’s as Chairman of SASC.

FIFY. I’ll take a cook any day if it happens to be a cook who was awarded the Navy Cross and died in service to our country. That’s not meant to come off snippy, and on the topic I appreciate respect for the legacy of other names borne by the class. Constellation is a great example, and there are a ton of CV names out there that would be great to bring back.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
LCS to frigate was certainly a stretch, but it did give them a chance to repurpose into something useful. I don't think there will be a place for a corvette in the US Navy. But we could unload them in FMSs calling them corvettes. They have to lose their LCS stink and lots of counties operate corvette size vessels.

BigRed389

None
7,400 tons, VLS, towed array sonar, SPY radar, helicopter plus robocopter, that's a CLG. I like it. I like so far.

I might have missed it in the wiki write-up but does it have two screws or one?

Look at the FREMM wiki, the platform data there should mostly be unchanged. Two shafts. It’s mainly the topside/weapons/sensors stuff we’re going to fiddle with in the design.

Radar is going to be a EASR - scaled down version of new DDG SPY radar. Similar if not identical to what will go on new CVNs as well.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Look at the FREMM wiki, the platform data there should mostly be unchanged. Two shafts. It’s mainly the topside/weapons/sensors stuff we’re going to fiddle with in the design.

Radar is going to be a EASR - scaled down version of new DDG SPY radar. Similar if not identical to what will go on new CVNs as well.

So it will be similar to SPY-6? If so, that's a cool piece of kit. I got to see the anechoic chamber that they were testing an array in at Raytheon and it was fascinating.

BigRed389

None
So it will be similar to SPY-6? If so, that's a cool piece of kit. I got to see the anechoic chamber that they were testing an array in at Raytheon and it was fascinating.

Yeah that whole AESA thing is pretty cool.

Technically SPY-6 is now a "family of radars", and it's adaptable to a lot of different configurations.
The FFG version is (v)3, which is the CVN version (rotating) turned into fixed faces in a 360 coverage arrangement.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Does raytheon have their own anechoic chamber? If so, where and how big?