• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Female Navy Student Shot in Pensacola

Status
Not open for further replies.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is true. But its dangerous to even have such a policy as a starting point, I argue. If a police officer wants to assert her constitutional right to remain silent and seek legal counsel, so be it. But--and I'm sure not every department has this policy--those departments that have a policy of not even trying to question a fellow officer (who may possibly be willing to talk) until she has met with her union rep is troubling.
It is a big country. Lots of agencies out there. Some small and poorly trained. But I would be shocked if you could name one police department where it is policy to wait until a rep arrives. National standard and required of accreditation is homicide responds to the scene. Cop is relieved of his gun. He is questioned like any other suspect, if he wants to talk. He is taken to the station and is photographed just as he is. If injured, photographed at hospital. All his unused rounds are accounted for. Every bullet shot is accounted for. He is drug tested. Standard investigation. Some where along here a union rep or lawyer shows up. The rep, and sometimes the lawyer,are there to protect the officer from an employment/civil service perspective. Some times the union has a lawyer respond to the scene that will advise the shooting officer. What do you think he will tell the cop?

I don't understand your preferance for a cop to have to give up rights his attacker has. Any other suspect regardless of the crime can dummy up at the scene and not answer a single question until the day he is acquitted or convicted. Why different for a cop? I just think you have a misunderstanding of what really happens and why, at least 99%of the time.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
White guilt? I read the same Wikipedia article you're now reading and probably should have read before you brought the thing up in the first place. 25 is a long way to traverse, dont you agree? Those shell casings over 120' away from the car....at some point it probably wasn't a life or death scenario. Again.....I'm not a cop. Simply my opinion, which I'd like to remind the group, you asked me for.

I thought I clearly stated I didn't think Brown was a race case. Do any of you actually read posts?

You also clearly stated that he was backing away from Wilson which isn’t the case. When he was killed, the evidence shows that not only was he advancing on the officer, the officer was backing away. My problem is that even given the evidence, you refuse to place blame where it belongs, and that is squarely on Michael Brown.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Brown was killed after he was shot in the hand and walked away from the car. Wilson followed him. Yes, the BLM movement certainly disqualified their own arguments through ignorance and hyperbole but the underlying premise still remains true; an incredible amount if bias and disproportionality exists in today's justice system.
I'm sorry, you confused walked away with backed away. He actually turned and ran, at which point he was followed by the officer.

He was not shot in the back and was clearly moving forward, toward the officer, while he was being shot. A great many people have disputed at what range he was being shot, and I don't think anyone knows. I AM NOT A COP but I feel like during the period he was moving away from the car, the situation could have been deescalated. Especially considering he was wounded, they could've got him at the hospital. Purely my opinion, which you asked for.

Not saying the dude was innocent, just saying he didn't have to die. I feel that much is clear even to the most casual observer.

Last edited:

FinkUFreaky

pilot
I'm sorry, you confused walked away with backed away. He actually turned and ran, at which point he was followed by the officer.

He was not shot in the back and was clearly moving forward, toward the officer, while he was being shot. A great many people have disputed at what range he was being shot, and I don't think anyone knows. I AM NOT A COP but I feel like during the period he was moving away from the car, the situation could have been deescalated. Especially considering he was wounded, they could've got him at the hospital. Purely my opinion, which you asked for.

Not saying the dude was innocent, just saying he didn't have to die. I feel that much is clear even to the most casual observer.

I don't think having a policy of not pursuing criminals without backup would work out that well in the long run... I'd imagine that would reduce actual arrest rate by a pretty large margin. Now I personally think it would be great if less people were in jail by some law changes, I don't think the right way to lower the inmate count is by letting known criminals run away unless you had backup. The criminal was not armed, the officer was; I am not a cop either but I wouldn't feel like I needed backup. I'd GUESS that that is kind of standard operating procedures for whether to wait for backup or pursue. I very well might be wrong.

It seems you find more fault in the death of Mr. Brown by the officer pursuing Mr. Brown than in Mr. Brown charging the officer? I'm not trying to be hyperbolic.. Just what I've been interpreting from your posts.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I think both of them were at fault and find neither of their actions commendable.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I think if he had just listened to the Police Officer in the first place he’d still be alive. In fact, I apply that metric to every criminal killed by a police officer.

The man with the badge and the gun told you to stop and put your hands in the air. The minute you stopped listening and started acting a fool, your life expectancy dropped exponentially.

As for the case down in GA, I’ll wait for the investigation to be complete instead of letting Fox/CNN/NPR make up my mind, they all have agendas (to inflame opinion and make money.)

If I learned nothing else from the Catholic kid and the Indian in DC, it was to wait for all the video, evidence, and story to be revealed...

Status
Not open for further replies.