• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Female ASTB test takers

magnetfreezer

Are u guys future Navy???? because your responses are whole sale messed up.... think about it. if the shoe fits....

Why don't you enlighten us on what is "messed up"? Many of the people on this thread are Navy officers (notice the wings under some of the names, people who have several years as an officer and have completed flight training usually wear some form of those). That means they have a lot more experience with the ASTB than you do - especially since you came here seeking info from them, it would behoove you to listen.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Are u guys future Navy???? because your responses are whole sale messed up.... think about it. if the shoe fits....

Care to elaborate on who you guys is referring?

I agree that the test taking facility should have met the standards set forth, but if she had a problem with it she should have said something. People who chose to suffer in silence and bitch after the fact suck.

There will be days in the plane when ATC, your talkative IP:icon_rage, and some asshole on airforce common(guard) just won't shut the fuck up. Its on you to block that noise out and get the job done.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Men and women have different ways of thinking about a problem...
Boy, (or perhaps I should say girl) you got that right! :eek:

Now I will just blow through this fur-ball without ever engaging. ;) Discretion and valor, not to mention experience, and all that, you know. :)

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Females only need respond, thanks guys~

Yes, I'm an enquiring mind.

I haven't seen this thread for some reason and I'm glad I didn't get in on the initial dog pile here since your question is a sexist load of crock, but for the record, I believe you mean "inquiring."

E

ebolamonkey

So, my girlfriend in D.C. just took the ASTB and said it was more like an engineering exam. She said there were loudspeakers going off, people talking on speaker phones, and loud noise outside the test room door, and she had to re-read questions 3 or 4 times simply because of the noise factor. She didn't do well (40) and she's in a Masters Math program (student).

She also said Math questions were difficult to read on the computer. Just wondering what other females have experienced. If you care to share, whether you took the ASTB once or twice, and minus the noisy environments, what were your feelings about the test? Did you take the paper/pencil version or computer version? Level of engineering vs. mechanical? Did any of your male counterparts you know do better on the test?

I took my test (once) and it was rather noisy but then I went back to focusing on the test and didn't have anymore 'noise' problems.

Took the computer test and was scared when the damn thing seemingly froze up a couple of times.

The test is more about English and Mechanical comprehension than Math but if her score for the Math portion was lacking I question her abilities as an Applied Mathematician. The difficulty of this exam is no more than the AP Exams offered in Physics or Calculus to Highschool students and as compared to the SAT or GRE's Math portions (she probably had to take the Math subject GRE as well) it is a walk in the park.

Get some :sleep_125 and take the exam again fresh to score a easy 70. The night before I slept about 4-5 hours, ate a shitty breakfast that gave me stomach aches and felt like shit during the exam but even low gpa CEC reject retards like me gets lucky once in a while (OAR:63).

gtg941f

pilot
if her score for the Math portion was lacking I question her abilities as an Applied Mathematician. The difficulty of this exam is no more than the AP Exams offered in Physics or Calculus to Highschool students and as compared to the SAT or GRE's Math portions (she probably had to take the Math subject GRE as well) it is a walk in the park.

It's not a great feat to be in grad school, but many people assume that because they're getting a Master's they're all of sudden entitled to be smarter than everybody else. Sounds like the situation here. Reality check - at my school we took graduate aerospace classes while undergrads because that's where you'd get the good grades.

E

ebolamonkey

It's not a great feat to be in grad school, but many people assume that because they're getting a Master's they're all of sudden entitled to be smarter than everybody else. Sounds like the situation here. Reality check - at my school we took graduate aerospace classes while undergrads because that's where you'd get the good grades.

gtg187w here. :) You must of been 2004 or prior because they switched to gth and then they simply stopped giving out gt's and went with aliases.

That is true as the Grad school grades heavily inflated to make the graduates look oh-so-good. I didn't want to flat out insult her abilities in Math as I assumed she had some skill left in theoretical mathematics that remain unchallenged by the likes of the ASTB.

sfrankie08

pilot
If you still want the opinion of a female...

I'm still not sure why this question was posted or atleast why you only want the opinion of females. It was a standardized test. Everyone in that room was subject to the noise/distractions not just a female. When I took the ASTB 3 years ago..yes some guys did better than me. But I also did better than some guys. I would argue it depends on what hemisphere of your brain is dominant and that it is NOT a gender thing. Tell your g/f it makes her feel any better it was really cold during my astb.
Oh and using the logic that women/men read questions differently. If it were that big of an issue I think they would have a different version of other standardized tests (AP/SAT/ACT). One for men one for females.. Sorry I'm just not buying it.