• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Female ASTB test takers

ODSCandidate

OCSCandidate
So, my girlfriend in D.C. just took the ASTB and said it was more like an engineering exam. She said there were loudspeakers going off, people talking on speaker phones, and loud noise outside the test room door, and she had to re-read questions 3 or 4 times simply because of the noise factor. She didn't do well (40) and she's in a Masters Math program (student).

She also said Math questions were difficult to read on the computer. Just wondering what other females have experienced. If you care to share, whether you took the ASTB once or twice, and minus the noisy environments, what were your feelings about the test? Did you take the paper/pencil version or computer version? Level of engineering vs. mechanical? Did any of your male counterparts you know do better on the test?

Females only need respond, thanks guys~

Yes, I'm an enquiring mind.

Pilot123

pilot
Are you saying males have an advantage in a loud test taking environment or when questions are presented on a computer screen?

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
She can't get her head in the game because someone on speaker phone is too distracting and she wants a job where performance is most crucial when there are guns firing, people yelling, sirens, and explosions?

I'm not sure which part of this is specific to females, unless you're implying women suck at engineering tests or something.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
She should contact NOMI to report the testing facility as not in compliance with the proper testing procedures. The ASTB testing guidance is quite clear on noise levels, setup, breaks, etc.

Regardless if she was female, she shouldn't have had to deal with distractions during the testing.

-ea6bflyr ;)

ODSCandidate

OCSCandidate
I took the ASVAB years ago when I first came in and didn't have near the experience "D.C." went through. It was quiet, everyone was doing the same thing. She said it was like being in a grocery store and announcements going off every other minute, phones ringing and people talking on speaker phones at the loudest possible levels.

Not everything in the Navy is great, we move a lot, we change communities, but when it comes to something simple, as taking a test, I think a good testing environment and supportive community can help deliver positive results. At least that's what I'm reading from this site. I appreciate the advice on NOMI. I'll forward that onto her. Thanks EA6Blfyer. Thanks, guys!

And I was more curious what females thought about the test vs. males are better test takers than females. Heavy male community, was looking for the femmes to step up to the plate and offer some feedback. Guess they're too busy doing their nailz.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
I can't wait to hear the logic behind this.

Don't hold your breath. Logic seems a little absent here.

ODSCanidate:

If she had a problem she should of said something. If they didn't listen she should of reported them. If she can't handle a little noise like a supermarket, while taking a test, she might not know what she is getting into. I hope she gets a second chance if the environment really was worse then what your explaining.

However, this has nothing to do with male vs. female. The only part of this that is sexually biased seems to be the way you asked a question. If a guy went through this, the problem is exactly the same.

(When i took the ASTB I was in the middle of the office with phones, people, and meps right outside.)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Don't hold your breath. Logic seems a little absent here.

If she had a problem she should of said something. If they didn't listen she should of reported them. If she can't handle a little noise like a supermarket, while taking a test, she might not know what she is getting into. I hope she gets a second chance if the environment really was worse then what your explaining.

However, this has nothing to do with male vs. female. The only part of this that is sexually biased seems to be the way you asked a question. If a guy went through this, the problem is exactly the same.

(When i took the ASTB I was in the middle of the office with phones, people, and meps right outside.)

What are you talking about? P3 FO didn't start this thread.

P3 F0

None
And I was more curious what females thought about the test vs. males are better test takers than females. Heavy male community, was looking for the femmes to step up to the plate and offer some feedback. Guess they're too busy doing their nailz.
Sorry, still don't see it. At all. What does being a female in a male-dominated career field have to do with test-taking in a bad environment? I don't see what type of female response would be any more relevant than male.

I don't really mean to pick on you, ODS, but it really bugs me when folks start parsing the female/male card. For any reason, much less one as lame as this. It's a test. We all have to take it. Nothing to do with anything that could possibly be construed as what could/should be different standard for females vs. males (like the PRT), if that makes any sense. There is simply no reason to solicit input from one sex vice the other except to try to build some sort of argument or theory suggesting females have it worse for whatever stupid reason.

ETA: HH-60H, I don't think Afterburner was trying to sympathize with me, not attack me, if that makes a difference. We seem to be saying the same thing.