• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Female ASTB test takers

ODSCandidate

OCSCandidate
P3 FO

"I was more curious what females thought about the test vs. males are better test takers than females." That seems pretty clear to me. I never said anything should be better or different and didn't mention anything about females having it worse. Not sure where that is coming from. You might be reading a little too much into the thread.

" ... solicit input from one sex vice the other except to try to build some sort of argument or theory suggesting females have it worse for whatever stupid reason." I simply asked the female community to step up to the plate and offer input on the test. I'm just seeking feedback, which they seem completely absent with. There's only one person who is trying to build an argument or solicit a sexual argument here, and it's not me.

Here's the very simple logic: I wanted female input on their test taking experiences. I was purely interested in measuring their experiences because there is a ton from the male community on it. Thanks for the feedback,

ODS

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Guess they're too busy doing their nailz.

Gee, what a lucky woman your girlfriend is. :eyeroll

And, simply by asking what the female perspective vice the male perspective is, you are implying that there are different perspectives and that females will experience the test differently than males.

If you don't think one group experiences the test differently, why would you ask for feedback from one group, or want to Measure that groups experience?

red_ryder

None
Wow, it may just be one of those days, but I'm still confused. What were you hoping to learn from this information?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
ASTB wasn't that bad, but I'm just a Poli Sci guy....aren't females much more smarter than males anyways?

I think on average there is no difference. However, I believe I once heard that you find more males at the edges of the bell curve, with more women in the middle. ?

Women do better in school, and more are enrolled in college.

c_s

Gender has no bearing on how you do on tests. Maybe for fifth graders taking a math or english test, because some scientist at some university says girls are better at whatever or boys are better at whatever. But when we get to this level, and you start thinking gender affects test results... negative. No. Intelligence, now that is a factor. Gender, no.

When I took the ASTB it was in a quiet testing room/closet with the door propped open and someone typing and occasionally talking on the phone. My guess is that as an NFO there will be slightly more distraction than that when participating in "critical thinking exercises" in the field. Just a guess, jets and helos are kind of loud.

Keisi

For all you out there who think that this is being sexist... it's not. There have been studies showing that the way tests are worded actually affects the performances. Men and women have different ways of thinking about a problem and the wording does matter.
But I'm with your girlfriend: My situation wasn't ideal but you have to be able to deal with it because in the real word the ideal situation never comes around. I had a fairly average score but it was a little on the high side. I'm a mathematical person too and the ASTB wasn't the easiest thing for me either. The wording is not the way that we girls think and it does make a difference. I retook the test and did about the same, even after studying. I don't know how much that will help. Good luck to her though.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
There have been studies showing that the way tests are worded actually affects the performances. Men and women have different ways of thinking about a problem and the wording does matter.

I want proof of that claim, until then I'm calling BS. And even if you do find proof, I'm still not sure I'm going to put too much stock in it because the Navy has a special way of wording all their test that make them difficult to understand (API anyone?). They are designed that way to test your complete understanding of the subject matter. It takes a few attempts at these tests before you're able to understand what answer the test is looking for without reading over the question repeatedly.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
OK no. It's been more than a few years since I took the ASTB, but USNA-style we (men and women) were told about a day before and we all sat in a big quiet room together and took the test. I dunno, I think there were maybe 5 women in the room. FWIW, I remember only 1 of my female friends had to retake the test to get the required scores and a bunch of guys did.

It was easier for engineering majors.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
The wording is not the way that we girls think and it does make a difference..

I'm ringing the BS bell on this one too. The wording isn't how you think? When someone asks a question, you answer it. How does the wording of asking someone which gear is going to move faster affect gender?

Educate me if I'm out of line here.

P3 F0

None
I don't know who's more of an idiot here--ODS with her crazy logic ("I simply asked the female community to step up to the plate and offer input on the test. I'm just seeking feedback, .... interested in measuring their experiences because there is a ton from the male community on it ... I never said anything should be better or different and didn't mention anything about females having it worse")

Or Keisi, who runs right past all of the minefield signs. Here's a hint for you ladies: Never, ever, even so much as imply that there's anything unequal about being a woman. You have your different standards where it matters most (and even that is a debatable division). You will make friends and go far if you consider yourself to be a Naval Officer/Naval Officer Wannabe on a completely level playing field where there's no room or reason to bitch about being a female. Never pull the "Men and women have different [whatever]" card. You'll label yourself for your entire career and piss off your peers and your front office.

As far as I'm concerned, the only legitimate bitch I've ever heard on the subject is that there's no easy way for a female to take a piss on my aircraft. You know who made that bitch? Me, 'cause I got tired of seeing the females walk in there with a cup, knowing what they were about to do. Never once heard one of the females bitch about it. Now that's an admirable attitude.

My $.02.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
So, my girlfriend in D.C. just took the ASTB and said it was more like an engineering exam. She said there were loudspeakers going off, people talking on speaker phones, and loud noise outside the test room door, and she had to re-read questions 3 or 4 times simply because of the noise factor. She didn't do well (40) and she's in a Masters Math program (student).

She also said Math questions were difficult to read on the computer. Just wondering what other females have experienced. If you care to share, whether you took the ASTB once or twice, and minus the noisy environments, what were your feelings about the test? Did you take the paper/pencil version or computer version? Level of engineering vs. mechanical? Did any of your male counterparts you know do better on the test?

Females only need respond, thanks guys~

Yes, I'm an enquiring mind.

As a female, it is important that your girlfriend know this: NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER USE YOUR GENDER AS AN EXCUSE FOR ANYTHING!!

Yes, we're in a male-dominated profession, but that does not mean that they are out to get us because we are women. IMHO, it sounds like your girlfriend just went to a shitty test-taking venue. If a guy had walked in instead of a girl, he would have dealt with the same noise/distractions. It's up to an individual to be able to focus on something and it has nothing to do with gender.

I took the ASTB in the same room as a bunch of dudes in my ROTC unit. I smoked them on the test. Who knows why, but they didn't pull the gender card, that's for sure.

I'm glad your woman wants to join the few females already in the military, but for every girl who pulls the gender card, it makes it that much harder for the rest of us to prove our competence in a fleet of mostly men.

I hope she does better next time if she chooses to try again. Best of luck.

~Red

phrogpilot73

For all you out there who think that this is being sexist... it's not. There have been studies showing that the way tests are worded actually affects the performances. Men and women have different ways of thinking about a problem and the wording does matter.
I think it is being sexist. NOMI is well aware that there are differences, and that's why there are stash jobs where all ensigns do is take the ASTB a couple of times a week. By the time a version of the ASTB hits an Officer Recruiter, it's been taken NUMEROUS times by both men and women (and they've tweaked the wording), until it achieves the bell curve that they want.

kc0jhs

Inappropriate

Are u guys future Navy???? because your responses are whole sale messed up.... think about it. if the shoe fits....