• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

February 2012 SNA OCS Board

Okie3

OCS NAMI CASUALTY=INTEL..I'll take it.
My OR says they don't want to get my resubmit together yet until they know more about a coming board date because of time sensitive material in the package. Is waiting the move for now, or should I push them for a resubmit sooner than later?

I'm in the same boat as you. Except I haven't gotten to talk to my recruiter, because he's been on leave. Saw the list that I was a non-select on here actually. Didn't hear it from my OR. I'm wondering when exactly I need to get my stuff together again, or add on to my package if at all possible. I'm going to try and call tomorow, but I'm betting I get the same answer as you.

boostadikt

VFA-106
you guys might want to wait it out a bit, from my situation I tried to apply for the Jan board last year, started getting everything ready in November held off on signing and whatnot, but the story is every month the "possible" board was cancelled and after every month of trying to update things the August board finally happened. It doesn't actually take long to get everything ready, I'm sure you know this. So my point is don't get too anxious or it will just get more and more frustrating, you have plenty of time before the deadline for January.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
I'm in the same boat as you. Except I haven't gotten to talk to my recruiter, because he's been on leave. Saw the list that I was a non-select on here actually. Didn't hear it from my OR. I'm wondering when exactly I need to get my stuff together again, or add on to my package if at all possible. I'm going to try and call tomorow, but I'm betting I get the same answer as you.
Never too early to start getting officer interviews lined up..

Okie3

Never too early to start getting officer interviews lined up..

Yeah see on my first package I submitted I ask my OR if I could or was supposed to interview with anybody. He kind of pretty much said don't worry about it. I'm wanting to interview this time though it definately couldn't hurt. First time I ever talked to my recruiter in person I went in there like it was an interview anyway. Had my resume, college paperwork, reasons why memorized the whole deal. Are the "official interviews with an officer" any different?

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Yeah see on my first package I submitted I ask my OR if I could or was supposed to interview with anybody. He kind of pretty much said don't worry about it. I'm wanting to interview this time though it definately couldn't hurt. First time I ever talked to my recruiter in person I went in there like it was an interview anyway. Had my resume, college paperwork, reasons why memorized the whole deal. Are the "official interviews with an officer" any different?

Well there is more on the line.. It depends on the officer. I had an interview with the Commander of Great Lakes, he did most of the talking, I chimed in here and there with opinions and responses. He asked a few simple questions and gave me a great review. I mean we pretty much chatted, but I'm prior service so we had a few good convos, so he didn't just pencil whip my interview by any means. Now on the other hand, I had an interview with a retired officer who sat on Academy selection Boards, and was a flight instructor and commander himself.. He had a scroll of questions for me. I was in the interview for over 2hrs. I had a lot of fun answering his questions and we got a long great. He gave me one of the best write ups for the interview my recruiter has ever seen. It was a lot of work but worth it.

I think you will feel a little more stressed because you know how important the interview is and sometimes you don't get to see the write up.

Either way, go in prepared and well groomed and you will do just fine if you really want to be an officer and have an idea of what you're getting yourself into.

Sonog

pilot
How does one go about getting officer interviews? Is it something the OR has to set up?

Okie3

Well there is more on the line.. It depends on the officer. I had an interview with the Commander of Great Lakes, he did most of the talking, I chimed in here and there with opinions and responses. He asked a few simple questions and gave me a great review. I mean we pretty much chatted, but I'm prior service so we had a few good convos, so he didn't just pencil whip my interview by any means. Now on the other hand, I had an interview with a retired officer who sat on Academy selection Boards, and was a flight instructor and commander himself.. He had a scroll of questions for me. I was in the interview for over 2hrs. I had a lot of fun answering his questions and we got a long great. He gave me one of the best write ups for the interview my recruiter has ever seen. It was a lot of work but worth it.

I think you will feel a little more stressed because you know how important the interview is and sometimes you don't get to see the write up.

Either way, go in prepared and well groomed and you will do just fine if you really want to be an officer and have an idea of what you're getting yourself into.

Yeah even when I just went in to meet my recruiter I made for sure I had my hair buzzed down and clean cut, which it usually is anyway. He joked saying some guys come in there with dreadlocks and everything. I actually contacted my senator for a letter of rec and figured on having to interview there. One of his people I think just typed me something up, but I got his letter of rec. in my hands like 2-3 days later with his signature. Don't know how much it will help, but he gives his support.

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
How does one go about getting officer interviews? Is it something the OR has to set up?

Sure, if you are lazy/lack ingenuity. Ask yourself where to find Naval/Army/Air Force/Marine Corps Officers. Use your God-Given abilities and use that college education to think outside of the box with interviews.

...there is no spoon.

Tonkovich.J

I had an interview with the Commander of Great Lakes as well. Hes was a very nice guy and super easy to talk to. Turns out him and I had a lot in more in common than what I expected. Your advice towards interviews sums up what I would say perfectly. There would be one more thing I would add to people preparing for an officer interview. If you have had your heart and mind set on this your whole life, much like myself, no question should be an issue.

Also I was a non select from the August SNA board. Apparently I'm still too far out from my graduation (May 2012) to apply. Looks like I will be with you guys come the next available board date. Here are my stats if anyone is interested

21/M
Applying for SNA
Senior Mechanical Engineering @ Purdue University
3.7/4.0 GPA
7/8/8 60
4 LOR's from some of my professors and adviser
Student member of American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Interview with O-6 Aviator and former Co of Naval Station Great Lakes

Sonog

pilot
Sure, if you are lazy/lack ingenuity. Ask yourself where to find Naval/Army/Air Force/Marine Corps Officers. Use your God-Given abilities and use that college education to think outside of the box with interviews.

...there is no spoon.

Ok, so it's "go find O5+, ask for officer interview?"

Okie3

The closest officers and place on the navy side I could contact for an interview would probably be at Tinker AFB in Okc with the heavies or down in Texas somewhere.(Anybody know of somebody in this area?) I started looking for names, phone numbers, or emails to contact. Might be harder looking for navy officers on an AFB. If i can't find anything I'll probably have to go the spoon fed route with my OR, and ask again for somebody to do an interview with.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA

...there is no spoon.
You don't have to jump down the guys throat.. How do you find out an answer if you don't ask ;)

I was able to get an interview by two ways. One someone on here helped me get the Commander of Great Lakes interview, which is why you got that interview Tonk from what I remember, since I had your OR for a short time ;). Secondly, believe it or not, I just posted on yahoo questions asking for an O4 or higher and explained the reason and what community and that's how I got the officer from the Academy.
You can ask your recruiter. I bugged my old one and I got sick of waiting for him to set me up with his "high ranking friend," so that's why I took it upon myself and got two officer interviews before he even began the process to get me one.. And I don't even think his guy was an aviator. You can also try some local schools with NROTC, shoot them an email and that is probably your easiest shot. You can do other branches but honestly (my opinion), I don't think that is smart.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Yeah even when I just went in to meet my recruiter I made for sure I had my hair buzzed down and clean cut, which it usually is anyway. He joked saying some guys come in there with dreadlocks and everything. I actually contacted my senator for a letter of rec and figured on having to interview there. One of his people I think just typed me something up, but I got his letter of rec. in my hands like 2-3 days later with his signature. Don't know how much it will help, but he gives his support.

Depends on what it says,, I had an interview with my Congressman, He actually stated in the LOR he sat down and talked with me. He is also a Pilot in the AF, and I got some shit for going Navy heh, but sadly he didn't mention he was a AF pilot in the LOR, which may have helped a little more.. It's good you got your senator's support. Hopefully it doesn't sound like a generic write up though. If it does, try to sit down with your Congressman. They should be easier to get an actual interview with and will most likely be closer in distance to meet with. Don't use the interview evaluation form though, the interview will just be good for a better LOR.

Anyway, good luck man. Just keep staying pro-active and you will get it. I got selected as an alternate this go.. I rpobably would of gotten pro-rec pilot first go, if I didn't leave the AF early. Oh well live and learn.

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
You don't have to jump down the guys throat.. How do you find out an answer if you don't ask ;)

Christ, I'm sorry. Too much time awake, didn't mean to be snappy.

Interviews can be secured through ANY contacts you might have with the military. Ask your friends and family if they know ANYONE in those positions. Work those contacts. Take them to lunch and ask them questions. Hint at the possibility of an interview. If they say "no," you press on. It sucks when it happens (it happened once), but no worries.

Secondly, check out the NROTC units in your area. If you appear confident and sound like you know what you are talking about, it will be much easier. Just put on that charm.

Also, join the community's forum of the designator you wish to become a part of...crap hanging. When I was putting my resubmission packet together, I went to certain forums and simply asked for help. I received it in the form of two O-6 interviews.

Other avenues could be retirement homes (just thought of it) or VA societies (just thought of it) or else like.

Again, apologies about the snappy comment.