• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

February 2012 SNA OCS Board

Sonog

pilot
Christ, I'm sorry. Too much time awake, didn't mean to be snappy.

Interviews can be secured through ANY contacts you might have with the military. Ask your friends and family if they know ANYONE in those positions. Work those contacts. Take them to lunch and ask them questions. Hint at the possibility of an interview. If they say "no," you press on. It sucks when it happens (it happened once), but no worries.

Secondly, check out the NROTC units in your area. If you appear confident and sound like you know what you are talking about, it will be much easier. Just put on that charm.

Also, join the community's forum of the designator you wish to become a part of...crap hanging. When I was putting my resubmission packet together, I went to certain forums and simply asked for help. I received it in the form of two O-6 interviews.

Other avenues could be retirement homes (just thought of it) or VA societies (just thought of it) or else like.

Again, apologies about the snappy comment.

No problem dude, I am bestowed with thick skin. A brief question deserves a brief response. I live 3.5 hours from the Naval Academy and 2.5 from my alma mater which has a sizable NROTC program, so I'll start nosing around. I'm assuming there's official forms that have to be obtained from OR?

staff03

I just asked my OR about which form I need and he said to just bring a DD FORM 370, the standard letter of rec form, to the interview and if things go well the officer will fill it out. I don't know if this is standard, if not someone let me know. I'm interviewing with the XO of the NROTC department at my alma mater and I was just wondering, when one is pursuing an officer interview what rank of officer should one try to get a sit down with? Or does it not really matter?

egd33

pilot
Contributor
I just asked my OR about which form I need and he said to just bring a DD FORM 370, the standard letter of rec form, to the interview and if things go well the officer will fill it out. I don't know if this is standard, if not someone let me know. I'm interviewing with the XO of the NROTC department at my alma mater and I was just wondering, when one is pursuing an officer interview what rank of officer should one try to get a sit down with? Or does it not really matter?

That is definitely not the right form for an interview. The one you need is called the Interviewers Appraisal Sheet NAVCRUIT 1131/5 which can be found here: http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/Documents/NAVCRUIT Interview Appraisal Sheet _1.pdf

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
All forms needed are available online. Your interviewers will fill out the form you give them and return it to you in about 15 minutes after the interview. Make SURE you know what you are doing and why you are doing it. Prepare like you would a job interview. Know the career progression of your designator and what the pros and cons are about it.

As to rank of officer, ideally the higher rank the better. Still, O-4s COULD work. The XO (O-5 or O-6) will be great.

Don't forget PHONE interviews. These work great as well. It's the same deal, just send them the PDF and they'll return it. Be strong and sure of yourself.

Once I receive orders, I plan to write a play-by-play of my application process. The proverbial cards were stacked against me, but perseverance paid off in the end.

staff03

That is definitely not the right form for an interview. The one you need is called the Interviewers Appraisal Sheet NAVCRUIT 1131/5 which can be found here: http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/Documents/NAVCRUIT Interview Appraisal Sheet _1.pdf
Any thoughts on why my recruiter would say this? Just trying to make sure I get this right.

You need to either have the guy in college station fill out a DD 370 letter of recommendation or an actual interview appraisal. The DD FORM 370 will be better since the interview appraisal is not considered part of the normal kit for Pilot applicants.

egd33

pilot
Contributor
Any thoughts on why my recruiter would say this? Just trying to make sure I get this right.

You need to either have the guy in college station fill out a DD 370 letter of recommendation or an actual interview appraisal. The DD FORM 370 will be better since the interview appraisal is not considered part of the normal kit for Pilot applicants.

Hmm, maybe it is OK then, but I do not understand why they have a specific interview appraisal sheet if the DD370 is fine. The DD370 is geared more toward people who actually know you (considering all the places it asks about their relationship to you, how long they have known you, etc). My recruiter specifically told me to use the interview appraisal sheet back when I did it in July.

staff03

I guess I'll just show up with both forms and hopefully the XO will know which one to use. It's next Wed. so I'll post on here to let others know for future reference. Thanks for posting the link to the other one.

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
I guess I'll just show up with both forms and hopefully the XO will know which one to use. It's next Wed. so I'll post on here to let others know for future reference. Thanks for posting the link to the other one.

Don't use the DD370. It's for LORs. You are having an interview, therefore yu need an interview appraisal sheet. Look at both and make your decision.

Okie3

OCS NAMI CASUALTY=INTEL..I'll take it.
Don't use the DD370. It's for LORs. You are having an interview, therefore yu need an interview appraisal sheet. Look at both and make your decision.

Yeah I looked at the interview appraisal sheet too. The LOR forms (DD370) ask questions like how long they have known you, has this person been responsible in the past stuff like that. The senator that wrote me a LOR didn't use the form though, and one of his people sent it to my house. I'll probably have to ask them to do another, and get it sent to the recruiting office on a DD370 form. Hoping I can just show my recruiter the paper the senator sent and call it good. Probably won't be that simple though.

Sonog

pilot
Ideally Navy Officers are best for interviews, but would Marine Aviators be second best?

Okie3

OCS NAMI CASUALTY=INTEL..I'll take it.
Getting married Friday heading down to fort worth for honeymoon (yeah I've heard the wings before rings but its happening been engaged 2 years)...just so happens there's an airshow that weekend, 2 F-18 demos, F-15 demo, and thunderbirds supposed to be there....convinced fiancee to go since we'll be down there anyway (she's great!). Hopefully get to make some contacts and ask some questions. Last airshow I went to in Denton they had all the hornets and vipers sectioned off.

Dedication-convincing future wife to spend day looking at planes and helos on honeymoon haha

Tonkovich.J

Getting married Friday heading down to fort worth for honeymoon (yeah I've heard the wings before rings but its happening been engaged 2 years)...just so happens there's an airshow that weekend, 2 F-18 demos, F-15 demo, and thunderbirds supposed to be there....convinced fiancee to go since we'll be down there anyway (she's great!). Hopefully get to make some contacts and ask some questions. Last airshow I went to in Denton they had all the hornets and vipers sectioned off.

Dedication-convincing future wife to spend day looking at planes and helos on honeymoon haha

It's a trick, she wants to seem understanding of your interests. But remember once you say those two words shes got you for good...... I'm just messing with you. Congrats on getting married, I hope everything works out for you two. But most of all have fun at the airshow