• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

February 2012 SNA OCS Board

Okie3

OCS NAMI CASUALTY=INTEL..I'll take it.
Mjv- Not sure why you didn't get a response, but just as a fyi, letters from congressmen and the like that do not know you personally are rarely worth more then the paper they are on. In fact, the manual specifically discourages them for OCS apps. It's not like the academy where each senator gets so many spots to give out. LORs from people who know you and your skills will go a lot further. If you are going to make connections get in touch with people in your desginator. They will count for more, and those connections will help you in the long run. :)

Yeah on my LORs I got coaches I've played and worked under. Had an office manager who works at the ranch write me another one up, because she could word things a little bit better than my dad. I actually just sent an email to my senator for the next time around. Might have been a bad idea now though since I saw Lucy's post....who knows though. He's really into aviation and the military so that might help. Last time he was in the news he landed on a taxiway by accident though!!! caused a ruckus...

T

Triangles

Thank you for your valuable insight. I will look into a Criminology degree and see if it enhances my chances.

But wait... you said they're not looking for Jet pilots. Are they looking for helo pilots? Or, does this mean they're looking for prop-only pilots?
They are looking for Naval Officers that specialize in being pilots. You'll realize soon on if your selected... That your whole career isn't being a pilot... Its mostly serving as a Naval Officer. If you haven't had time in the Navy, you might not understand this... Its not which type of pilot the Navy is looking for (i.e. what platform you fly), but the person as a whole. You'll see if you end up getting selected ;-)

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Mjv- Not sure why you didn't get a response, but just as a fyi, letters from congressmen and the like that do not know you personally are rarely worth more then the paper they are on. In fact, the manual specifically discourages them for OCS apps. It's not like the academy where each senator gets so many spots to give out. LORs from people who know you and your skills will go a lot further. If you are going to make connections get in touch with people in your desginator. They will count for more, and those connections will help you in the long run. :)

I wouldn't put congressmen LOR's that low on the totem pole. I actually got one from mine and it was an addition to my package from a non select last time. I doubt it was the magic bullet but I got an alternate select this time. It takes effort contacting your congressman, and impressing them enough to grant you an interview, and then write you a LOR. I mean they are not just going to pencil whip anyone through either. Every little bit helps, I wouldn't discourage one bit for a congressman letter.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Hey peep's. Don't know why you think there is going to be a board in Feb 12'. Last time I checked there is no board scheduled.

I see that you guys post comments on here about flying jets... That's cool and all, but the fact is... The Navy isn't looking for the next top gun. They aren't looking for jet pilots. Take a few minutes to think about what I just said, and if this confuses you... maybe you should message me for the answer. Maybe there is a reason you haven't been selected if you have already tried. Also, if you have a degree in Criminology.. Last time I checked.. The Navy is looking for someone to operate a multimillion dollar aircraft with a degree in criminology. I personally don't know anyone with that degree serving as a pilot.. Maybe a SWO, or Supply Officer.. What math or physics skills does a person in Criminology or physical education have?? Not here to be negative ladies and gentleman, just being honest with you so that you can be honest with yourselves.

I am prior enlisted, I have been selected SNA, and I don't have jet posters hanging up in my room... I fly a Pitts S-2 out at the airfield.

You know as well as I know it doesn't take an engineering degree to fly a plane.. Although a technical degree helps, it doesn't matter what your degree is unfortunately. Does it hold more weight if someone has a 3.0 in Aerospace Engineering vs 3.0 in Psychology degree? They say it doesn't but it probably does.. It's an unwritten depends on the characters of the board members sort of thing. But if someone has a degree in basketweaving, they still have gen-eds like everyone else, and heck if they have shit hot scores on the ASTB that says a lot about their skills to becoming an officer or a pilot.

I'm prior enlisted Crew Chief on F-16's, and I had a jet poster on my wall ;)

Lucy

Eagle- Not saying it won't count, but rather that the manual discourages it because all it normally does is reiterate your resume. Go for it if you want, just that there are other things that might be more helpful.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
I know plenty of Naval Aviators that have graduated with high NSS (Flight School Scores) out of both Primary and Advanced with non technical degrees. The degree has no bearing on how well anyone will do. Keep that information in the bag. I have also seen Engineers failing out of API and even later in Flight School.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Eagle- Not saying it won't count, but rather that the manual discourages it because all it normally does is reiterate your resume. Go for it if you want, just that there are other things that might be more helpful.

Right don't depend on it..I agree there. But i've seen a few folks on here with congressman letters get pro-recs for SNA that is.. So even though the manual may discourage, I don't think it is a negative thing for the package. Idk about other communities.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
I know plenty of Naval Aviators that have graduated with high NSS (Flight School Scores) out of both Primary and Advanced with non technical degrees. The degree has no bearing on how well anyone will do. Keep that information in the bag. I have also seen Engineers failing out of API and even later in Flight School.

I've heard the same. I was told by a flight instructor once that there are guys who get A's in engineering but can't handle a plane.. You gotta have that nack, regardless of who you are or where you come from.. The biggest thing in people is fear. One pilot told me in flight school (USAF side), there was one guy who would do the loops perfect and by the book (top of the class).. but there was another guy who took the risk to do it different but better (idk exactly by doing what). He went fighters.. the other guy went heavies.

Okie3

"It doesn't take an engineering degree to fly a plane" quoting eaglei......This is kind of a stupid comparision, but I come from a background around race horses also.....a lot of race horse owners have doctorate degrees, are rich businessmen, or lawyer types. Guess who the trainers and jockeys are....your regular guys....especially the jockeys...they're the guys crazy (some drugged up) enough to go ride the piss out of a horse. They certaintly don't have an animal science degree that is for sure, but most are still better horsemen than those guys. I actually tried being a jock got down to 129 (still to much weight) but that was starving myself (like food to much). Would have just had to been an exercise rider, trainer, or stuck to rope horses. Getting back to the flying though I just want to get my foot in the door so I can compete with the engineering guys once we get to the actual flying. Kind of like eaglei was saying got to handle the plane too.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
I've heard the same. I was told by a flight instructor once that there are guys who get A's in engineering but can't handle a plane.. You gotta have that nack, regardless of who you are or where you come from.. The biggest thing in people is fear. One pilot told me in flight school (USAF side), there was one guy who would do the loops perfect and by the book (top of the class).. but there was another guy who took the risk to do it different but better (idk exactly by doing what). He went fighters.. the other guy went heavies.

Well, I will be honest, it is all about luck and timing.

Sonog

pilot
"It doesn't take an engineering degree to fly a plane" quoting eaglei......This is kind of a stupid comparision, but I come from a background around race horses also.....a lot of race horse owners have doctorate degrees, are rich businessmen, or lawyer types. Guess who the trainers and jockeys are....your regular guys....especially the jockeys...they're the guys crazy (some drugged up) enough to go ride the piss out of a horse. They certaintly don't have an animal science degree that is for sure, but most are still better horsemen than those guys. I actually tried being a jock got down to 129 (still to much weight) but that was starving myself (like food to much). Would have just had to been an exercise rider, trainer, or stuck to rope horses. Getting back to the flying though I just want to get my foot in the door so I can compete with the engineering guys once we get to the actual flying. Kind of like eaglei was saying got to handle the plane too.

So flying a plane is like riding a horse?

Okie3

So flying a plane is like riding a horse?

No and yes, there is the idea of not letting the plane fly you. Even from my very limited knowledge just flying a cessna 172 and a piper cherokee I've kind of picked that up from my instructor. It kind of helps learning if you can compare it to something you've done before. Stay ahead of the situation I guess is what I'm saying, and still going out and getting something done. I will say this if the plane is ever uncoordinated in a turn or not exactly where I want it it is like starting a colt that doesn't know anything. You have to adjust accordingly with the flight controls/ reins and legs with horses. Adjust to much or at the wrong time then your adjusting back the other way.

AT3Macklin

Commissioned 17 AUG 2012
Well just wanted to say that my package has finally been routed and bottom lined by my Skipper. I'll be scanning it in and emailing it tomorrow morning and with any luck there will be a board for Pilot, NFO, and Supply before the rumored Jan 23rd. Good luck to all of you who will be at the boards with me!

Sonog

pilot
My OR says they don't want to get my resubmit together yet until they know more about a coming board date because of time sensitive material in the package. Is waiting the move for now, or should I push them for a resubmit sooner than later?