• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Favorite Military Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Avatar = Slater from "Dazed and Confused". Tell me you've seen it, or just lie to me so I don't feel old.

Ahhhh ok. Yes I"ve seen it, just been a long time.

gringo

zab1001 said:
Avatar = Slater from "Dazed and Confused". Tell me you've seen it, or just lie to me so I don't feel old.

I'll also use this opportunity to slam "Officer and a Gentleman". SUCKED.

"I GOT NO PLACE LEFT TO GO!" Everytime I see that scene I pray Louis Gosset JR will cold-cock gerbil boy Gere.

Did you see waynes world 2 when chris farley makes fun of that line as a rodey?

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Favorite Military Movies

A few others that might be included:

Battle of the Bulge (Henry Fonda and Telly Savalas)
Odd Angry Shot (Aussie Vietnam Movie)
Where Eagles Dare
Ice Station Zebra
633 Squadron (love the Mosquitos)
Grey Lady Down
To Hell and Back
The Big Red One
Cockleshell Heros
Attack Force Z
Run Silent Run Deep
PT109
Victory
Dirty Dozen
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Heartbreak Ridge
Operation Dumbo Drop (don't laugh it is based on a true story)

Pretty much all I could come-up with off the top of my head.

As far as "The Final Countdown" goes, to hell with the F-14 footage, I love all of the Sea King shots. Especially the one of it blowing up.

(Can I get a part in that JAG movie???)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
JIMC5499 said:
Heartbreak Ridge

Amusing... yeah.... piss poor acting, terrible story, and terrible "realism"? Yeah that's a crap movie. But, I can't totally write it off, I mean... it's Clint Eastwood.

I personally think it was trying to be Stripes (hilarious movie) and it failed miserably. It's the Iron Eagle of Stripes.

dufault.2

Fly Navy said:
But, I can't totally write it off, I mean... it's Clint Eastwood.

That is one of the most convincing arguments I've heard on this site regarding any topic. Couldn't have said it better myself.

High fives all around for that one.

OrdiesFourty

Any movie with John Wayne in it is worth watching. I don't have a specific favorite, I mostly watch war movies to catch a glimps as to what it was like in the field back in the day, and to get a little insight on history in itself.( I know that hollywood will never acually get the full aspect of war on the big screen, but it is fun to see all the old war stuff.) So in a sense it's more of a history thing for me.

Chubby

Midway, In Harm's Way, Mr. Roberts, Operation Petticoat (That's right, I said it).
Gotta love a good WWII flick.

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
There is a documentary on AMC tonight at 10 EST called Hollywood Vietnam. It sounds interesting, and I thought some of you might want to see it.

"Hollywood Vietnam" takes us on a mythical journey to the Vietnam War and back, as it was imagined by Hollywood. With an emphasis on how Vietnam War films both succeed and fail to depict the reality of Vietnam, the documentary sets out to examine how history is communicated through storytelling, and ultimately, what these stories tell us about our age-old love-hate relationship with warfare. This special draws on over 20 films and includes interviews with prominent Vietnam veterans and people involved in the making of these films: Senator Max Cleland (Vietnam Veteran), Senator Chuck Hagel (Vietnam Veteran), Jerome Hellman (ex-Marine, producer "Coming Home"), actor Matthew Modine ("Full Metal Jacket"), John Milius (Writer, "Apocalypse Now"), Bobby Muller (Founder: Vietnam Veterans of America), Ron Kovik (Vietnam Veteran and writer, "Born on the Fourth of July") and R. Lee Ermey (Vietnam Veteran - actor and military technical advisor, "Full Metal Jacket", "Boys of Company C", "Apocalypse Now").

Mon., May 30 at 10:00 PM EST
Tue., May 31 at 1:00 AM EST

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I'm in with A4s on the movie picks:

Bridges of Toko-Ri
The Sand Pebbles

and after that definetly Band of Brothers - "Crossroads" is my favorite episode :)

Super18Ordie

F/A-18 Ordnanceman
zab1001 said:
. And try to tell me the guy who played the Intel Weenie WASN'T on some kind of amphetamine...he must have scored it from whoever cast him in the role.

I always thought he looked kinda stoned. "Its not for you, its restricted!"
"Some body count eh buddy"

shortncurly

Did anyone watch "Faith of My Fathers" last night? I thought it was excellent. Definitely one of the better "made for TV/Cable" movies out there.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Would have been nice to watch it, except the freaking south texas A&E channel was out due to a hailstorm and CMAs inability to fix it. Funny how a storm can knock out a single channel....

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Here are some really good ones not mentioned...
Best Phantom scenes//...................//Only B-47 and B-36 movie ever filmed
the original Top Gun movie
202570.jpg

12 o'clock high with a love story twist//...//This B-52 movie is just AWESOME...BUY IT!!
207430.jpg

Best F-86 mvovie made
B0001NBMHQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Not quite Saving Private Ryan but it's very good
11m.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.