• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Favorite Commercial Aircraft?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whoops, my bad. I guess I'm just lazy :) Glad someone got to it before me, it would have been a shame to let that beauty go without mention!

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
What ever happened to the DC-8? I have not seen one in years, where many other jets of that era are around..

My mom was a flight attendant on a DC-8 for Eastern Airlines. She told me about a ferry flight to JFK when they lost their hydraulics. Rolled (slowly) off the end of the runway.

She was also scheduled to fly Eastern 401 (the one that crashed in the Everglades) but she switched to Flight 400 at the last minute, and didn't tell my dad. He saw the news about 401 and freaked. Talk about luck, right?

I'd have to say the 737.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
My mom was a flight attendant on a DC-8 for Eastern Airlines. She told me about a ferry flight to JFK when they lost their hydraulics. Rolled (slowly) off the end of the runway.

She was also scheduled to fly Eastern 401 (the one that crashed in the Everglades) but she switched to Flight 400 at the last minute, and didn't tell my dad. He saw the news about 401 and freaked. Talk about luck, right?

I'd have to say the 737.

There is a guy at work who flew -8's for ATI, and then later on (more recently) for some British owned, Ghana registered DoD contracter (if that isn't convoluted). They had a similar event, with the ABS system going off-line on roll out @ Bagdad Airport.....they were at gross weight, hot high DA day, you do the math. They rolled off the end of the runway and destroyed the aircraft, all because the operator wouldn't cough up $5k for the repair that was needed (apparently this had happened previously w/o incident).

He also said they routinely got fined upwards of $10k USD operating out of EU airports because at t/o weight they wouldn't be climbing fast enough to clear the noise monitors at the departure end of the runway....apparently even the turbofan upgrade didn't quiet things enough (very loud). Cool jet though, IMHO....I wouldn't mind flying one some day.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
737-200 series. That way you can look out your window and see this number slowing you down. Good ole JT8D-9s.
IMG_3199.jpg