• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FALANT colorvision test for pilots

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Two questions: Is there a possibility that someone cannot see MOST of the numbers on a PIP test but be able to pass the FALANT? Last time I took the PIP test, over a year ago, I remember not doing well at all...

I'm one of those types. Well, I think I missed 6 or 7 out of 20 or so last time I took the test. My very first military phsyical for my NROTC scholarship. Since then, it has been FALANT and no issues, not one in 14 years of active duty as a Navy pilot.

millerjd

Stayin' alive
Does anyone know where to find a FALANT, other than at a MEPS? Is there some sort of search website I could go to? These things seem as rare as extinct animals.

A local flight school will have a list of FAA Designated Medical Examiners and start going down the list and ask if they have a FALANT. Use your college degree, you can find someone.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
I found a list of Aviation Medical Examiners from the FAA website...of course...I should have just checked. Hopefully they will have a FALANT.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
I just got back from MEPS today. My recruiter got me in before applying, to test my color vision. I failed the FALANT, so I won't be flying for the Navy :-(. But oh well, I was born with the condition, and there's nothing to be done about it. So I'm glad I found out, and now I can move on and apply for Intel/AMDO/something else.

millerjd

Stayin' alive
I just got back from MEPS today. My recruiter got me in before applying, to test my color vision. I failed the FALANT, so I won't be flying for the Navy :-(. But oh well, I was born with the condition, and there's nothing to be done about it. So I'm glad I found out, and now I can move on and apply for Intel/AMDO/something else.

Sorry to hear that... :( It's something I worry about as well... I have passed the Farnsworth D15 test, and the FAA alternate, but neither have guarantees on passing FALANT.

I was just reviewing the latest medical regulations put out in March which included the Optec 900 as a valid device similar to the Farnsworth Lantern. As far as I can tell, it isn't designed to be easier or harder, just to replace the aging Lantern fleet of tests. Nor is the Optec FAA approved (odd!)

Glad to hear you are staying Navy despite the disappointing news...

millerjd

Stayin' alive
Of course the ad-generator displays the availability to purchase Ishihara PIP test.... Screw You!

/end late night post-local-watering-hole post.

millerjd

Stayin' alive
If anyone is in the Arizona Valley, this might be of interest to you. This morning I went to a FAA approved AME that had a FALANT. I already have my PPL w/no restrictions, but the light gun test does not apply to Navy.

So whilst I wait to hear back from my application (on 3rd month), this has been in the back of my head bothering me if I could pass the FALANT or not. And I can. I missed 1 on the first round of 9, got 100% on the second round.

Comments:

As said before, there is no yellow, it is white and it's hue is to throw you off. If you look at intensity of light / hue, you will fail, you must look for the color.

My proctor showed them quickly, and this is a good thing. Go with first thought, don't think about it, just guess it. If you second guess yourself, you will think too much about what you saw.

Questions: (This is more out of curiosity than anything)

I hear people saying that the Navy FALANT you pick the center color out of three in vertical position. This one was two vertical colors, and I had to pick both. I thought a FALANT was a FALANT.

The second round was the same as the first. Is that the same if you miss 1 in the first 9 for the Navy?

If he/she flashes it too quick, can you ask to have it turned on again?

Normally done in the light or dark? Mine was light.

I was told the bottom one will always be brighter. Does this apply to the Navy FALANT as well?

I read the latest medical revisions from the web for the Navy, which includes the Optec 900 as a valid testing device, anyone use this?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
If anyone is in the Arizona Valley, this might be of interest to you. This morning I went to a FAA approved AME that had a FALANT. I already have my PPL w/no restrictions, but the light gun test does not apply to Navy.

So whilst I wait to hear back from my application (on 3rd month), this has been in the back of my head bothering me if I could pass the FALANT or not. And I can. I missed 1 on the first round of 9, got 100% on the second round.

Comments:

As said before, there is no yellow, it is white and it's hue is to throw you off. If you look at intensity of light / hue, you will fail, you must look for the color.

My proctor showed them quickly, and this is a good thing. Go with first thought, don't think about it, just guess it. If you second guess yourself, you will think too much about what you saw.

Questions: (This is more out of curiosity than anything)

I hear people saying that the Navy FALANT you pick the center color out of three in vertical position. This one was two vertical colors, and I had to pick both. I thought a FALANT was a FALANT.

The second round was the same as the first. Is that the same if you miss 1 in the first 9 for the Navy?

If he/she flashes it too quick, can you ask to have it turned on again?

Normally done in the light or dark? Mine was light.

I was told the bottom one will always be brighter. Does this apply to the Navy FALANT as well?

I read the latest medical revisions from the web for the Navy, which includes the Optec 900 as a valid testing device, anyone use this?

:eek::eek::eek:
You probably need to relax, it's just a test with two lights, one on top of the other. The lights are either red, green or white. It's probably stress or you simply weren't meant to do this due to color vision issues. However, being you can pass the test, why worry? If you passed it once, you can pass it again.

millerjd

Stayin' alive
:eek::eek::eek:
You probably need to relax, it's just a test with two lights, one on top of the other. The lights are either red, green or white. It's probably stress or you simply weren't meant to do this due to color vision issues. However, being you can pass the test, why worry? If you passed it once, you can pass it again.

Point taken. I felt the examiner was a little on the lenient side and understanding what I'm up against puts me at ease about what I can and can't control, what to expect, etc. Probably similar to the people who worry about NSS on here, except more basic.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Current vision requirements

Heres the instruction for the navy if your going into the airforce i dont know what theres is. Your gonna have to dig and find out about your particular problem but its in there.
http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/index.htm

12.2 COLOR VISION ABNORMALITIES
AEROMEDICAL CONCERNS: Normal color vision is required to accurately identify warning lights and color visual displays in the cockpit, external visual cues including airfield lighting, the Fresnel lens, aircraft formation lights. Interactions with other optical devices, such as laser protective visors, may compound a given problem.
WAIVER: Applicants are CD, no waiver. Waivers have been granted for flight surgeons, aerospace physiologists and other selected Class 2 aircrew on a case-by-case basis. Waivers for a change in color vision in designated personnel are usually granted if not due to ocular pathology.
INFORMATION REQUIRED:
1. Following a conference with the Air Force on vision standards and procedures, the Pseudo-Isochromatic Plates (PIP) are the preferred primary test.
a. For the Navy, 12 of 14 correctly identified plates constitute a passing score. The preferred lighting is the MacBeth lamp. If one is not available, a daylight fluorescent bulb may be used. Do not use incandescent lighting as this may allow persons with mild deuteranomalous (green weak) deficiencies to pass. Passing criteria is 12 or more plates correctly read, i.e., no more than 2 errors. Record the findings as the number of plates correctly read out of 14. For example: PIPs 13/14 correct "PASS" or PIPs 9/14 correct "FAIL".
2. If member cannot pass the PIP, the FALANT may be administered as an alternative, if available.
a. Passing criteria for FALANT remain 9/9 or 16/18 correct responses.
3. If a designated crewmember fails both, evaluation is required to screen for acquired pathology, as well as a test of demonstrated ability, usually performed with the flight surgeon and safety officer as observers.
TREATMENT: N/A.
DISCUSSION: Defective color vision is usually congenital. In Caucasians, approximately 8% of males have inherited color defective vision and approximately 2% are dichromats with severe deficiency. The largest group is actually trichromatic, actually color weak rather than color deficient. Dichromatics are protanopes if they have a red-green deficiency related to red-sensitive cone loss, deuteranopes if they are red-green deficient related to green-sensitive cone loss and tritanopes if they have blue-yellow deficiency related to blue-sensitive cone loss. Deuteranopes and protanopes have difficulty interpreting VASI lights' red-white color relationship. Protanopes have difficulty interpreting red high speed taxiway exit and runway end marker lights. At night, dichromats may be further reduced to monochromaticity when the physiological phenomenon of small field tritanopia is added; this is of relevance in distinguishing navigation and anti-collision lights. Color vision can be affected after optic neuritis or in macular degeneration, central serous retinopathy, and multiple sclerosis or as a sequela to heavy metal poisoning. Some color vision deficiencies are acceptable, the most problematical being red/green abnormalities.
U.

millerjd

Stayin' alive
I just had an exhausting 12hr day with MEPS. Towards the end of the day, vision test came. Did 20/30 on the eyes, but failed the FALANT. :eek: Wait... What?! I've passed this before, and more than once! I missed 3, which incidentally, all three were the white ones. My qualm is the proctor put the device in one corner of the room and I was in the exact opposite side of the room at a 45 degree angle to the FALANT. I could barely see the dots at the angle and told me "this is how it's done."

Luckily I brought with me my civilian original of passing the latest FALANT test (under a month ago). The final doctor signed it a "evidence to be considered" and tried to get my hopes up that it's going to work. I put a photocopy in my records, took the original and back to the officer recruiter I go.

Explain said situation to processor/recruiter and told me that there three possible situations:

1) They will take my civilian doctor independent review and bless it and I am good to go

2) They will have me take another independent test again from a civilian doctor

3) They will retest me at MEPS

I asked him "What about being told 'No good, see you later, byebye'" and he shook his head "I didn't list that as an option, they will always review a situation a 2nd time over"

I don't know if anyone has run into this, or any of the members who use to deal with medicals would have any insight onto the truth and/or likely hood of actually getting a second chance. I am now strongly considering NFO, but will hold off on giving up until this fight is well over.

:banghead_

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....I could barely see the dots at the angle and (he) told me "this is how it's done." ...
He's full of Bullshit.

farn3-75x59.jpg

FALANT is the easiest thing goin' and it's viewed "straight on" ... two lights, i.e., if you can't pass FALANT, you really DO have a problem. The bubble book, however ... :) ... that's another breed of cat altogether .... let's hope you have a kind and understanding AME/Flight Surgeon if you use the "bubble book".

snake020

Contributor
He's full of Bullshit.

In my experience, some of the med techs tend to be incompetent. I had an E-6 doing my predeploy exam tell me my ratio of bad to good cholesterol was too low (essentially, I needed more bad cholesterol and less good). Puzzled, I asked for an explanation and she babbled some unintelligible med speak.

I went to my primary care doc the next day that verified she was full of crap.

Point is, keep fighting it to the flight surgeon if you can.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Point is, keep fighting it to the flight surgeon if you can.

Good point. I never understood why they would have junior enlisted personnel administering these tests that could adversely affect a career. Most of these people are E-3 and below, and some weren't even corpsmen! One in particular was a chick that was in my squadron and was shit-canned for being a total whore. :eek:

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Yeah, the lady administering my FALANT was a civvie who forgot to do depth perception on me (I reminded her) and didn't even know what to do when I failed the PIP test, and had to be told to turn the lights on by the Staff Sgt. there. Gaah...