• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FALANT colorvision test for pilots

SlickAg

pilot
Hey Michaelf....Good luck buddy!

Anyone see Little Miss Sunshine? The part where the kid learns hes colorblind is really sad. I realized it right away, and screamed, "He wont be able to fly!" very emotional movie.

Yeah, and my first thought was dude, he can still fly for the Navy since they use the FALANT.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Did anyone else who can't do the dots get asked if you can read the dots in the movie as soon as that came out? Everyone I know, knows I can't do it, and asked me but I can actually read what the kid says he can't, so either the camera filtered out what I usually have trouble with, or they're not real tests.

Uh...I missed 5 of the plates when I tested but the card he couldn't read in the movie was like the basic dark green number in a red background. If you couldn't read that, I don't think you'd pass the FALANT. That was probably the easiest Ishihara plate there is.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Those stupid ishihara (or whatever) plates always get me. I always miss one or two. Luckilly my wife was a nurse and hooked me up with the book of plates. I studied them and after a while i could make out the numbers that used to give me problems. When I went through MEPS I barely passed the ishihara test (AF Base), then I went up to Whidbey Island for my flight physical and they busted out the FALANT. It was a piece of cake. Of course this was about 6 years ago, but thank goodness the Navy still uses the falant.

Moral of the story...get ahold of the book and try to study it. And it always helps to be extra nice to the female corpsmen giving you your test.

Ok. Because I've been accused of integrity issues by a member of this forum (also a member of the Airforce:D ) First I had to laugh, then I thought I would clarify.

The ishihara plates are not classified documents, and can be obtained easily at a public library or on the internet. So....if I were a person that had some challenges with passing the color blind test....I would get a copy and prepare myself for the test.

Sometimes I just have to laugh....

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Ok. Because I've been accused of integrity issues by a member of this forum (also a member of the Airforce:D ) First I had to laugh, then I thought I would clarify.

The ishihara plates are not classified documents, and can be obtained easily at a public library or on the internet. So....if I were a person that had some challenges with passing the color blind test....I would get a copy and prepare myself for the test.

Sometimes I just have to laugh....

No worries. There are a handful on this website who are quite eager to twist your words and assume you have no integrity. Ignore them. If you're colorblind, looking at the plates beforehand won't help. But when a guy is flipping the plates and you are nervous, even a normal sighted person can miss them. The plates are easily accessible by anyone and it is not an integrity issue to look at them beforehand. When they test you they do it under a strange blue light to keep neutral lighting so you can't really replicate the entire test anyway.

Cheers,

Josh

dusopn

Hi guys, I just found this forum, and it seems Im the one not so lucky who see red and green lights without any problems.

Look at this - http://www.caleyecare.org/images/Falantindarkcolors1.jpg

For me its looking like - upper - white / lower - white

My question is primary for bunk22, who had a lots of tests behind him, - is the real FALANT test at least a little different from this image or Im "Realy" red - green blind?

I will appreciate every reply

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Hi guys, I just found this forum, and it seems Im the one not so lucky who see red and green lights without any problems.

Look at this - http://www.caleyecare.org/images/Falantindarkcolors1.jpg

For me its looking like - upper - white / lower - white

My question is primary for bunk22, who had a lots of tests behind him, - is the real FALANT test at least a little different from this image or Im "Realy" red - green blind?

I will appreciate every reply

That's what the machine looks like but thats also just a picture. Don't worry about some pic on the net. If you or anyone else is really worried, try finding an eye doc or even better, an optometry school that has the FALANT and take it. I know theres a big optometry school in Anaheim, CA (or at least used to be). They probably have every type of color vision test out there.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Ya I wouldn't worry about some pic on the net. When you take the test, if you can see color, you will know the diff between the three colors. With different intensities and image quality it is impossible to tell what a color is. If the shutter was open too long a red light could expose too long into a bright "white".

Don't sweat the small stuff.

dusopn

Looks like upper - green / lower - red to me. But it is a pretty crappy picture.

Thanks for reply guys, yep, most people say this, but for me its hard to recognize it from this picture.

Anyway, I hope when I come to real FALANT test after this spring school leaving exams, I will see colors like on my second picture :)

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Two questions: Is there a possibility that someone cannot see MOST of the numbers on a PIP test but be able to pass the FALANT? Last time I took the PIP test, over a year ago, I remember not doing well at all...

Also, what are some common places that would have the FALANT other than MEPS?

millerjd

Stayin' alive
Two questions: Is there a possibility that someone cannot see MOST of the numbers on a PIP test but be able to pass the FALANT? Last time I took the PIP test, over a year ago, I remember not doing well at all...

Also, what are some common places that would have the FALANT other than MEPS?

Many people can not pass the PIP and pass the FALANT, but not all. You can usually google all the medical examiners for civilian student pilot certificates and start calling around and ask if they have a Farnsworth Lantern. There is a place here in Phoenix that makes big bucks off it cause (and I know this from experience) writing to Kansas just to get permission to talk to your local FDO sucks.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Does anyone know where to find a FALANT, other than at a MEPS? Is there some sort of search website I could go to? These things seem as rare as extinct animals.