• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FALANT colorvision test for pilots

Michaelf

Hi, I am 19 years old and extremely passionate about becoming a military pilot and I have a few questions about my chances of becoming a pilot in the military. I have trouble with the isihara test that checks for colorblindness, but I can see colors fine. I have no problems with stoplights or anything else, except numbers in dots that are surrounded by other dots. I know that I could pass the FALANT test and still qualify for civilian flying, but would I be able to take the FALANT test instead of the Isihara test in the military and still be qaulified to be a pilot?

Currently I have:

3rd class medical
Private pilot license
Instrument Rating
About 200 flight hours
Enrolled in Embry Riddle and going to start this summer, and working for other ratings
Going to join ROTC at Embry Riddle

I would greatly appreciate if someone could tell me if I have a chance of becoming a military pilot, Thank you.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Last I checked the Navy still uses the FALANT. As I recall the Air Farce uses the dots. Back in the day, we got a few guys to come over to the Navy that didn't pass the color test for AF could pass the FALANT for the Navy.

millerjd

Stayin' alive
I am about to go through MEPS, but I've been doing research on this ever since I got into it because I'm in the same boat. I took the FAA alternate test and passed, I can do the FALANT, but I become dumb when someone sticks those dots in my face. The Airforce use to allow the FALANT as a secondary test, but is no longer accepted. It is the definitive color test for the Navy.

The thing that irks me is that the FALANT test, whether it be the light or the D-15 test, is more accurate than the ishahara. I can't remember the study I found but it went into what the ishahara plates did to different kinds of eye types that where not related to color and can make it hard for a normal color vision person to even read let alone exacerbate someone like you or I with minimal color issues.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3912/is_200112/ai_n9009350

This article is a good read in understanding what goes on during the tests and what to not do when taking the FALANT test in regards to determining color.

GatorP

I took both tests yesterday. I failed the plates but passed the Lantern test perfectly twice. The doctor passed me.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Those stupid ishihara (or whatever) plates always get me. I always miss one or two. Luckilly my wife was a nurse and hooked me up with the book of plates. I studied them and after a while i could make out the numbers that used to give me problems. When I went through MEPS I barely passed the ishihara test (AF Base), then I went up to Whidbey Island for my flight physical and they busted out the FALANT. It was a piece of cake. Of course this was about 6 years ago, but thank goodness the Navy still uses the falant.

Moral of the story...get ahold of the book and try to study it. And it always helps to be extra nice to the female corpsmen giving you your test.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I've never been good with those dot test either but never had a problem with the FALANT test, even the old fading ones. I've been flying since 94.

millerjd

Stayin' alive
I've never been good with those dot test either but never had a problem with the FALANT test, even the old fading ones. I've been flying since 94.

In some of the studies of proctoring the FALANT, some cases noted that the test taker complained about the light being dimmer on one side. They use a combination of neutral density filters and varying brightness to see if you are determining the color by intensity and not by hue.

I know an F-16 pilot in the AF who said he knew people who couldn't pass the dots but still flew, but he left active duty about 10 yrs ago.

Hearing Navy/Marine testimonial is always really nice about not being able to do the dots, but still doing the FALANT and passing since this is my next step and I'm, of course, worried. :eek:

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
All I know is the ishihara plates are retarded. Mr./Dr. Ishihara needs a kick to the nuts. I know plenty of people who cdan't do the plates and they all can't be colorblind...as for the FALANT...the hues can be a bit misleading. As I stated in another thread, when you have never seen the "white" before it looks awfully green. A very light, bright green but still a hue of green. After seeing both the green and white, it was clear which was which, but it definitely was not a clean white like you would expect. Regardless, if you can't pass the FALANT, then you are REALLY colorblind.

millerjd

Stayin' alive
As I stated in another thread, when you have never seen the "white" before it looks awfully green. A very light, bright green but still a hue of green. After seeing both the green and white, it was clear which was which, but it definitely was not a clean white like you would expect.

That's kind of funny, that's what sorta happened to me on my FAA alternate test (where they just blasted the ATC backup traffic light at me with different colors and the local FDO examiner had a sheet she check marked. The entire way there on my motorcycle I was thinking "that's red, and that's green" as I passed every traffic light. When I went to take the test, when I didn't see red, I just assumed it was green, I was cold, nervous and anxious to get it over and thought there were only two lights involved. After doing the first set, we walked away to another position on the ramp and I was thinking through my head "wait a second....that last one was white," then told her and she gave me the benefit of the doubt and I passed :D

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
In some of the studies of proctoring the FALANT, some cases noted that the test taker complained about the light being dimmer on one side. They use a combination of neutral density filters and varying brightness to see if you are determining the color by intensity and not by hue.

I know an F-16 pilot in the AF who said he knew people who couldn't pass the dots but still flew, but he left active duty about 10 yrs ago.

Hearing Navy/Marine testimonial is always really nice about not being able to do the dots, but still doing the FALANT and passing since this is my next step and I'm, of course, worried. :eek:

All I know is that I've taken that test at least 15 times over the last 14 years active duty and some are dull and faded while other machines have been very crisp and easy to read. Even if you miss one or two, the corpsman will usually go back. It's not hard and nothing to worry about, if you are truly not colorblind or at least severly color deficient. If it weren't for this test, I probably wouldn't be a pilot in the Navy/military.

Michaelf

I am really greatful to everyone that replied to my question. I was sweating bullets that I might not be able to fly for the military because I have trouble reading stupid dots. Thanks to everyone again for giving me this info. :D

millerjd

Stayin' alive
All I know is that I've taken that test at least 15 times over the last 14 years active duty and some are dull and faded while other machines have been very crisp and easy to read. Even if you miss one or two, the corpsman will usually go back. It's not hard and nothing to worry about, if you are truly not colorblind or at least severly color deficient. If it weren't for this test, I probably wouldn't be a pilot in the Navy/military.

You would know better than me :) I just know what I have read.

I think the best advice is what has been repeated on other medical-related threads... Relax and have a drink, if you stress out too much, they'll probably disqualify you for being too stressed, medical stuff is out of your control and just go through the motions as needed.

GatorP

Hey Michaelf....Good luck buddy!

Anyone see Little Miss Sunshine? The part where the kid learns hes colorblind is really sad. I realized it right away, and screamed, "He wont be able to fly!" very emotional movie.

millerjd

Stayin' alive
Hey Michaelf....Good luck buddy!

Anyone see Little Miss Sunshine? The part where the kid learns hes colorblind is really sad. I realized it right away, and screamed, "He wont be able to fly!" very emotional movie.

Did anyone else who can't do the dots get asked if you can read the dots in the movie as soon as that came out? Everyone I know, knows I can't do it, and asked me but I can actually read what the kid says he can't, so either the camera filtered out what I usually have trouble with, or they're not real tests.