• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Faith

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
No, we can theorize on why we have gravity and what might possibly be causing it. These theories aren't just dreamed up, they have some basis...a lot of basis. You can't really compare that to the idea of a superior being. We may not be able to say for certain what is causing gravity but we can quantify it, which is a whole lot more than what I can say for religion.

At the root of it, religion holds to this idea that humans are somehow perfect and I think that leads to the false belief that we are somehow superior.

Religion is actually quite quantifiable, however would require many hours of close study regarding its history. I think that you meant to say "which is a whole lot more than what I can say for God". Those are two distinctly seperate things. Many have alluded to the difference between religion and spirituality with God.

Bogey_spotter ... It sounds like you're a bit of a deist, many of the founding fathers might not disagree, however they might throw something at you anyway.

WannaGo... you're argument is interesting, however a Christian is going to no doubt argue that there is still "evidence" of God's actions, thereby destroying your Galileo argument. Granted thats not something they can prove... just making sure you are "aware" of this counterargument.

It is my personal belief that God can inspire you to do the right thing, and can show you the path. IMO you must be proactive and seek him out, pray, and watch for the signs. I DO NOT believe that he will do anything for you are magically solve your problems. I'm not going to say that its impossible however.

Outside of that, interesting read everyone! Happy New Year!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
WannaGo... you're argument is interesting, however a Christian is going to no doubt argue that there is still "evidence" of God's actions, thereby destroying your Galileo argument. Granted thats not something they can prove... just making sure you are "aware" of this counterargument.

What is this evidence?

Brett

invertedflyer

I think that its different for everyone, and is based solely on personal experience. For me, I would actually see myself as somewhat ignorant if I were to not acknowledge certain things that have happened in my life. Thats really the only way that I can describe it. However, I remain skeptical of those that claim God is performing miracles for them etc. (although I won't say its impossible) I do believe in the power of prayer, but more along the lines of figuring out what YOU are supposed to do, not wait for God to do it for you. Free will is the chief concern when you are talking about answered prayers and miracles. I don't believe God chooses to interfere with it.

I guess, like many other things meated out in this thread, it just depends on faith and your experience with God. I can defintely see your point of view as half of my family is agnostic. Don't think that I discredit that view, the "evidence" argument is an extremely valid one IMO, and I have examined it closely myself.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think that its different for everyone, and is based solely on personal experience. For me, I would actually see myself as somewhat ignorant if I were to not acknowledge certain things that have happened in my life. Thats really the only way that I can describe it. However, I remain skeptical of those that claim God is performing miracles for them etc. (although I won't say its impossible) I do believe in the power of prayer, but more along the lines of figuring out what YOU are supposed to do, not wait for God to do it for you. Free will is the chief concern when you are talking about answered prayers and miracles. I don't believe God chooses to interfere with it.

I guess, like many other things meated out in this thread, it just depends on faith and your experience with God. I can defintely see your point of view as half of my family is agnostic. Don't think that I discredit that view, the "evidence" argument is an extremely valid one IMO, and I have examined it closely myself.

I understand where you're coming from, but I still don't understand what this supposed "evidence" is. I think we can probably agree that God's very nature and the necessity of faith means that there is necessarily no evidence of Him - particularly in the concrete scientific sense.

Brett

The Stoic

Deism believes, as has been stated, that God created everything then just went his way and doesn't give a crap about us or what we do. However there is enough scientific evidence support intelligent design AFTER the universe was created it begs one to consider intervention in our affairs which essentially discredits Deism. Pantheism as well doesn't work well because it holds the belief that God is the universe, but if God is the universe then he can't be outside of it like theism believes can exist. So he wouldn't have created himself. My understanding of Pantheism is kinda what the natives believed, sun gods, moon gods, etc. There can however be an extension to that where you believe God is outside the universe (omnipotent) and within as well which is more along the lines of theism.

invertedflyer

I understand where you're coming from, but I still don't understand what this supposed "evidence" is. I think we can probably agree that God's very nature and the necessity of faith means that there is necessarily no evidence of Him - particularly in the concrete scientific sense.

Brett

We can definitely agree that there is no scientific evidence of God's existance. However, in observing the world around me, seeing every organism adapt... for every harmful plant in the jungle seeing one that can cure it etc. etc. I tend to like the "intricate design" theory of creation, although I don't completely subscribe to it. The argument basically leans towards an observance of the incomprehensible complexity of the universe and that such a thing must have an intelligent designer. I favor this argument over something coming from chaos, or a timeless universe.

One time, through some theory that is now lost on me, we proved the existance of God in one of my Philosophy classes using a specific brand of deductive logic. We also, however, went on to prove that God was evil using that same logic. Most questions returned to the problem of free will.

The evidence in my life is a combination of feelings. It encompasses things I've prayed about, meditated on, and acted on. Given the pattern of events, its hard for me to say that something higher wasn't involved. I also seem to have a very tangible feeling of God whenever I'm out camping, even flying. Thats pretty much what I go on :) I keep an open mind, however. I think that Buddhism and Daoism both have solid points that can help you grow and remain balanced.