• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Facebook

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
It is very disturbing though to see the number of 14 year old angsty bisexual girls looking for a daddy figure on that site.
URL please? :D

Brett

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
yeah, myspace is kinda shady....I can never understand why people post up all kinds of personal info/pics and then add their cell/home phone #'s and adresses. No suprise that there have already been 2 documented abductions/murders related to myspace members. That said, I still like facebook; its not as personal, and its a good way to keep in touch w/ old friends from high school and keep up with your class after college. Still, agreed that you do need to be careful what you put on the internet.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
Lawman said:
Yeah myspace, I actually managed to find my best friend from Kindergarden (I moved to Italy in 1st grade) and put our parents back in contact with eachother. It is very disturbing though to see the number of 14 year old angsty bisexual girls looking for a daddy figure on that site. Ive already come to the conclusion that I can never have a daughter.

Yea, I found friends that I haven't seen in 13-14 years through facebook (keep in mind, I'm 21....). Interesting to hear what people have been up to after that kind of time. While there is a very clear stalker factor, facebook does have its useful sides.

As far as having a daughter, I figure if I'm ever in that position, I have to be the kind of father my neighbor was. He had 4 gorgeous daughters. Every time one of them would bring home a new boyfriend, as the kid walked in, he'd be in the room off to the side cleaning his shotgun. He wouldn't say a word throughout the entire night other than "hi". No smile other than when the shotgun was reassembled. From what I remember, only one kid ever dared to mistreat one of his daughters, and the kid needed medical attention after the fact. I'm pretty sure two of them married state cops.

Lawman

None
AllAmerican75 said:
Dude! They're 14-year-old girls! Sick! You are one disturbed man. :icon_wink

That whole deal with him and renaming the F/A-18G's and your just now figuring that out? Better get a little quicker on the uptake my friend. If theres one thing in life Ive found its that its critical you know which people you know are perverts.... because they know where all the best parties are.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
That whole deal with him and renaming the F/A-18G's and your just now figuring that out? Better get a little quicker on the uptake my friend. If theres one thing in life Ive found its that its critical you know which people you know are perverts.... because they know where all the best parties are.
While I don't think AA's post was directed at me, I'll take full credit, of course. ;) Don't forget, I'm in college too, even though I'm 35. :icon_smil

Brett

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
mkoch said:
As far as having a daughter, I figure if I'm ever in that position, I have to be the kind of father my neighbor was. He had 4 gorgeous daughters. Every time one of them would bring home a new boyfriend, as the kid walked in, he'd be in the room off to the side cleaning his shotgun. He wouldn't say a word throughout the entire night other than "hi". No smile other than when the shotgun was reassembled. From what I remember, only one kid ever dared to mistreat one of his daughters, and the kid needed medical attention after the fact. I'm pretty sure two of them married state cops.

When I first met my highschool girlfriends family, her father was on the porch with his shotgun, a handle of Jack, and sitting in a rocking chair. "So you're here to pick up XXXXXX?" Nicest guy ever, I dated his daughter for almost 2 years.

grnweenie

The one thing with Facebook is that to view that persons profile, you have to attend their school or have them "accept" you as a friend. With Myspace, people don't even have to have an account to look at someone's info. Facebook is safer in that sense.

billiken2002

pilot
Here at Purdue, all of the staff have facebook accounts. So, they are on the look out for any anti-government/NROTC issues or underage drinking and such, but they have fun with it as well. Many of staff have mids listed as their friends and they'll occassionally post things on people's walls. At least they are having fun with it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
billiken2002 said:
Here at Purdue, all of the staff have facebook accounts. So, they are on the look out for any anti-government/NROTC issues or underage drinking and such, but they have fun with it as well. Many of staff have mids listed as their friends and they'll occassionally post things on people's walls. At least they are having fun with it.

yeah, a couple of our LT's just picked up accounts, although I think it was to spy on us for the CO. They didn't know that we knew, and a bunch of us tried to add them as friends before we had the official facebook talk from the Capt. It was also kinda funny, b/c someone actually found some old homepage for one of the LT's (from his old school). The clowning ensued when, after he finished reiterating that it is important to be careful what you put on the internet, someone brought up one of the pictures on his webpage. He's like....."ummm....are you serious? Man, I didn't even remember that.......well $hit.....".....I guess he proved his point:D :D

Crowbar

None
Who needs Facebook when you can just get interviewed by the campus newspaper (complete with picture) at the ripe old age of 19 saying you like to go out and get hammered on weekends?

jagges84

Semper Gumby "Always Flexible"
I had refused to do facebook for a long time. Then I did it. I have talked to so many people I haven't seen in a long time. I used to have stuff all about me, but I decided to take most of that crap off. Makes things to impersonal. I figure if someone wants to be my friend, they can get to know me in person. Call me old fashion.

Also, when I get commissioned I am going to just become an alumni and just have my email on there. There will be plenty of enlisted types and other officer types that have facebook accounts or have access to a friends/siblings. Having a bunch of personal stuff, pictures, anti-this groups, pro-that groups, etc......could cause problems.

Also, this should be COMMON SENSE to anyone, yet I still see grown college students do it. DO NOT post your address, dorm room, cell phone, etc...You might as well give everyone a copy of your house key....its stupid and dangerous. ESPECIALLY on myspace (which i refuse to do).

grnweenie

billiken2002 said:
Facebook has an option where you can block all faculty and staff members from viewing your profile.