• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18 RAG locations and BRAC rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fred said:
....I have never heard of Lemoore having airspace issues. Oceana, yes.

My information may be somewhat dated by now, but since I don't think "they" have built any "new airspace" as of late and I am still "in the loop" ...

I worked on BRAC @ NAS Whidbey in the '94-'97 time frame and one of our selling points (over the California bases) was our surfeit of training airspace and the lack of it -- including Lemoore -- in Kalifornia (sic). NAS Whidbey actually could still handle "it" all --- air-to-air, air-to-ground, CQ, electonic warfare, lowlevels (do you guys still do that? :) ) and so forth.

Even El Centro and China Lake was getting "boxed in" because of civilian demands on the surrounding "Wild Blue Yonder" ...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Granted I've never flown (other than free rides as a mid) out there, but I have a hard time comprehending "El Centro" and "Boxed In" in the same sentence . . . I guess now even the middle of nowhere is somewhere. :icon_tong

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
My information may be somewhat dated by now, but since I don't think "they" have built any "new airspace" as of late and I am still "in the loop" ...

I worked on BRAC @ NAS Whidbey in the '94-'97 time frame and one of our selling points (over the California bases) was our surfeit of training airspace and the lack of it -- including Lemoore -- in Kalifornia (sic). NAS Whidbey actually could still handle "it" all --- air-to-air, air-to-ground, CQ, electonic warfare, lowlevels (do you guys still do that? :) ) and so forth.

Even El Centro and China Lake was getting "boxed in" because of civilian demands on the surrounding "Wild Blue Yonder" ...
As usual, right on target, and yes, the Prowlers still do low levels - best in the world with a possible exception of Alaska. Up there you can "make your own VR" which is pretty cool. Whidbey does have just about the best airspace complex around. WRT China Lake, not only would operational squadrons be incompatible with the demands of OT&E, but the local economy could never absorb that volume of people. If you've ever been to Ridgecrest, then you know what I mean. Some of you guys have to understand that there's alot more than meets the eye for this kind of stuff.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.