• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35 article

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I can't speak on the F-35. Only on what the Navy replaced TIMS with; a hot mess with T-SHARP. It was supposed to be introduced 2-3 years ago. Not sure how it's supposed to be an improvement; I can't think of a single one. So many issues. Nothing is easier to do (looking at their old gradebook takes 3x as long) The old system was working better. There are students that will have to be put on hold because you can't submit a gradesheet. Yet I bet someone will make admiral for this fuckery.
T-SHARP isn't that bad. Internet connectivity is an issue however.

The SHARP people gave CNATRA exactly what it asked for, even against their own protests.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I've heard the logistics of the gunpods on the B and C are a nightmare - especially on the boat - and the pods are such a pain to mount. Also heard the whole aircraft/ship interface is still not really ready. Is it true the flight deck folks require all new cranial/comms to accommodate JSF ?

BigRed389

None
If we had needed it then folks could have made decisions to use it. Frankly, we wait for our systems to perfectly meet the JCIDS requirements before we field them because we can. At any point the right people can take the safeties off the system and run faster and with more risk if they wanted to.

As much as I agree with you, I think people are really talking about moving faster without having to take the safeties off.

That implies not skipping something you should be doing - but if it’s actually OK to do so, did you have to do it at all?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As much as I agree with you, I think people are really talking about moving faster without having to take the safeties off.

That implies not skipping something you should be doing - but if it’s actually OK to do so, did you have to do it at all?
They're already rushing a lot of things through OT, and the cutbacks in the OT VX squadrons isn't going to help. The result is a product that's not really ready at IOC.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Let’s not even get into interoperability and how poorly the F-35 play with others.
It's fine, it doesn't hurt our feelings. Every time an F-35 receiver cancels, I do the scenic flight down the coast. I mean, somebody has to protect our 60 year old strategic assets from overweight landings when there's untransferred gas onboard...and until Delta offers up some checklist gouge on how to hit TOT on a school, I guess I'll just have sacrifice for the greater good of the country. ?

Pags

N/A
pilot
They're already rushing a lot of things through OT, and the cutbacks in the OT VX squadrons isn't going to help. The result is a product that's not really ready at IOC.
Therein lies the rub. The Fleet wants it fast and good, N98 wants it within budget, and the iron triangle dictates that you can't have it fast, good, and cheap.

I could write a ton on DT, OT, and how to make it better but there's bourbon to be drunk tonight.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
T-SHARP isn't that bad. Internet connectivity is an issue however.

The SHARP people gave CNATRA exactly what it asked for, even against their own protests.
I completely believe that. It's still a hot mess.... At least right now, in VT-10, compared to what TIMS did. The squadron still can't even post their flight schedule online on the CNATRA web schedules. It has to be posted on the "Front Page". I get booted after "15 minutes of inactivity" even if I'm actually quite actively writing a gradesheet, but didn't do anything on the "other" internet explorer tab. Happens to the guys that teach academics too. My name is randomly repopulated by an active duty instructor sometimes. It's a mess right now; hopefully it'll eventually evolve.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Oh, yeah. There's growing pains. They work themselves out after a couple of weeks.

The front page thing will never change. That's just the way it is. TSHARP doesn't talk to Wingstats. As a technique I recommend writing the event and the student name in the remarks section of the NAVFLIR.

jackjack

I would think the marinized block 4 is what the Navy is looking to. I know aussies are looking to it, for the south china sea.

BigRed389

None
Therein lies the rub. The Fleet wants it fast and good, N98 wants it within budget, and the iron triangle dictates that you can't have it fast, good, and cheap.

I could write a ton on DT, OT, and how to make it better but there's bourbon to be drunk tonight.

I don’t even think the T&E process is the real problem in speeding things up. For the issues I’ve seen in T&E usually fall on either a shortage of test assets (units, range time, etc) that you basically need almost everything to go right, or simple test failures - which from a test perspective is doing what it’s supposed to do in discovering failures before IOC.

Most of the more informed criticism seems to fall on our budget process and how slow it is to respond to anything...and then you get to throw how randomly shitty Congress might be with passing budgets on time to make it a crap shoot of carefully laid multi year schedules will actually be given a chance or not.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I don’t even think the T&E process is the real problem in speeding things up. For the issues I’ve seen in T&E usually fall on either a shortage of test assets (units, range time, etc) that you basically need almost everything to go right, or simple test failures - which from a test perspective is doing what it’s supposed to do in discovering failures before IOC.

Most of the more informed criticism seems to fall on our budget process and how slow it is to respond to anything...and then you get to throw how randomly shitty Congress might be with passing budgets on time to make it a crap shoot of carefully laid multi year schedules will actually be given a chance or not.
The T&E process garners a lot of attention because at that point in the process you have real hardware and people start asking, "it seems to fly/float; why isn't it out in the real world yet?" Also by the time real hardware shows up the program is behind because the upfront (sources sought/selection, contracts, design, prototype manufacturing issues) work took longer than expected and the program is behind schedule by the time testers get their hands on real hardware.

There's no one easy fix to a program or the acquisition process. There's never enough time, money, people, or resources to do it "right." All the supporting processes take a long time for valid reasons and there's lots.of oversight people and rules due to prior bad actors.

No one involved in the process sets out to give the fleet crap. And there are lots of good people doing the best they can with what they have to get the job done.

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
No one involved in the process sets out to give the fleet crap. And there are lots of good people doing the best they can with what they have to get the job done
This. You don’t really see this as a average joe fleet bubba, but there are hundreds+ of really bright people per platform that work their asses off behind the scenes to keep these planes in the air and to deliver new shit. It’s easy and understandable to be a cynic, but I see daily examples of people doing really amazing work with nothing more than the fleet dudes holding the line in mind.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

You mean these fleet "early release" programs that rip things out of DT and put them straight in the fleet aren't such a great idea? I'm still wondering how skipping OT is legal...

I heard recently they're cutting USNTPS funding by 1/3. No link to support, but it's from an inside source. I'm sure that will help our acquisition issues.

:rolleyes: