• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-14 and F/A-18E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There were no F-16 kills during the Gulf War (a few after the war), sounds like a fishy story to me. As for the F-14's not getting the Mirage F-1's, the Iraqi's flew under an F-14 CAP in the Northern Gulf, the AWACS knew they were there but weren't able to tell the 14's because of comms problems (that never happens, does it... ;) ). Before that they had avoided another CAP, all of this was more due to a series of breakdowns on the allied side instead of Iraqi skill, though they did make it pretty far. The last layer before they got to the the Saudi north coast, the port of Dhahran and the oil fields was a Saudi F-15 pilot who bagged them both, lucky guy.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Piperpilot2004 said:
I found a similiar story that Flash said about the Iraqi pilots and what they thought of the US.
here is an article of a formal Iraqi pilot sitting in a US aircraft talking about his run in with an F-16. Pretty interesting article..

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_news_article1268.html

"'They had tricked me,' he said. 'I saw only one, but the other one came around, and they had me. One of the pilots told me, 'Eject or you will be dead.'' He said he took the smart route and ejected safely."

BS, that guy is talking out his ass, what he heard was Allah telling him to eject ... ain't no fighter pilot, especially an American fighter pilot, gonna come over Guard and say some sh!t like that, especially if they have a chance at becoming a "Mig Killer". that dude is making sh!t up to cover his ass & make himself feel better about being a puss

besides, my understanding is if you make a dude crash or eject in aerial combat, you are credited with a kill, but like Flash said, no F-16 was credited with a kill during GW1 ...

S/F

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jarhead said:
BS, that guy is talking out his ass, what he heard was Allah telling him to eject ... ain't no fighter pilot, especially an American fighter pilot, gonna come over Guard and say some sh!t like that, especially if they have a chance at becoming a "Mig Killer". that dude is making sh!t up to cover his ass & make himself feel better about being a puss

S/F
You'd be surprised. There's lots of stuff that obviously can't be discussed here that leads me to buy the technique, if not the story. Sometimes there's more at stake than if some AF D-bag gets a "kill" or not.

Keeping it real,

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
u.s.av8r said:
I know if I was an F-16 driver there's no way in hell I'd talk to a r@ghead in English rather than pickle off an AIM-9 or two. Hell, why waste the missle, I'd try to get some rare actual gun practice.
As I eluded to in my last post, that decision may not necessarily be the pilot's to make. Sometimes higher authority just takes all the fun out of things. I dunno about the rest of you but I think the better O Club story would be the one where you so owned the guy that you made him get out of a perfectly good jet vice a guns kill.

Good times,

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I dunno about the rest of you but I think the better O Club story would be the one where you so owned the guy that you made him get out of a perfectly good jet vice a guns kill.

Good times,

Brett

That would be pretty money.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
usav8r, you really have no clue what you're talking about do you?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
u.s.av8r said:
Too true, but the fine line in those O-Club stories is telling something everybody would believe...oh wait, we're all pilots.
I just figure after watching cop videos gone bad (beatings) that happened only because of good ole adrenalin, that keeping a finger off the switch that would finally provide tangible culmination of your 3+ yrs of training (or whatever chairforce guys get) would be extremely challenging.
I totally agree about the higher power stuff though Brett. Besides, haven't we almost never been cleared weapons hot since Vietnam? I'm totally grasping here, but I think almost every air conflict at least since DS has needed clearance for a pilot to engage.

And to the peanut gallery above, positive input buddy, positive input....
Judging from your post and your profile, I'm going to have to echo what squeeze is suggesting. You seem to be waxing prophetic about things with which you have zero experience and little clue. Let's rein the BS in a bit, lest a more severe (although infinitely more humorous) admonishment be required :)

Keeping it real,

Brett

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Brett327 said:
You'd be surprised. There's lots of stuff that obviously can't be discussed here that leads me to buy the technique, if not the story. Sometimes there's more at stake than if some AF D-bag gets a "kill" or not.
i wouldn't be surprised, i'd be shocked, but anything's possible i suppose ... if it is the case, i would guess it wasn't the F-16s that said it but another platform monitoring the situation.

--------------------------------------------

not trying to be a d!ck but from past experiences uninformed statements or opinions in threads/topics like this one, for example:
u.s.av8r said:
the SH "couldn't take on a Mig-31 in a head to head low speed fight ..."
lead to credibility issues for the poster and cause guys who do have a clue to reply with statements like ...
squeeze said:
usav8r, you really have no clue what you're talking about do you?

Brett327 said:
Judging from your post and your profile, I'm going to have to echo what squeeze is suggesting. You seem to be waxing prophetic about things with which you have zero experience and little clue. Let's rein the BS in a bit, lest a more severe (although infinitely more humorous) admonishment be required :)
and
Jarhead said:
u.s.av8r, do you even have a clue what a MIG-31 is or it's capabilities? it's not even close to being a slow speed fighter, hell a Prowler could out turn that thing.
which tends to anger the uninformed original poster and leads down the road of a flame war and gets the thread closed. in order to keep that from happening,
UInavy said:
From the peanut gallery: Quality input beats positive input every time.

semper fidelis

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
As I eluded to in my last post, that decision may not necessarily be the pilot's to make. Sometimes higher authority just takes all the fun out of things. I dunno about the rest of you but I think the better O Club story would be the one where you so owned the guy that you made him get out of a perfectly good jet vice a guns kill.

Good times,

Brett

I think that we all would have heard that story by now if it was true, it would be too good a story not to tell over a few at the Club. He probably saw a UAV, s@#$ his pants and puched out. Either that or ran out of gas, and that actually happened a few times.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
u.s.av8r said:
Guess what studs, most of you haven't been in the military as long as I was, nor have you EVER seen the fleet. I've probably got more hours in a Hornet than any of you venerable trainees who flout yourselves as salty sneering crusties in the know. I've at least spent time in the cockpits of almost all platforms being discussed, which qualifies me to speculate with at least as much "credibility" as the rest of you.

I'm not really part of this discussion, but could you explain your above quote in reference to this:

Birthday:
February 23, 1980

I'm just curious.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
I'm not really part of this discussion, but could you explain your above quote in reference to this:

I'm just curious.
Excellent. That's the second thing (after his ridiculous posts) that clued me in to his status as "lay person." I can't wait to hear the explanation.

Good times,

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Patmack18 said:
He's apparantly a commercial pilot too... tell me... who do you fly for?

I heard a rumor that he pumps gas at an FBO. I'm sure he just wanted to take it easy for a while after all that combat time.

Brett

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Easy does it fellers!

Maybe he was in the military and his bio is jacked up! Who knows? AV8tr can you expand/update your bio. Maybe it will allow for less confusion in the future.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
EODDave said:
Easy does it fellers!

Maybe he was in the military and his bio is jacked up! Who knows? AV8tr can you expand/update your bio. Maybe it will allow for less confusion in the future.

I wasn't needling him, I was geniunely curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.