• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eye protection?

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Memories! So true! Hard to believe it's been 30+ years for me, but that memory is clear as a bell. All it takes is once close call with a sapling branch at cheek level.

I still duck or recoil when moving around in my deciduous forest yard at night in poor lighting conditions.

A friend of mine back in highschool no shit had an eye removed from his skull by a branch while riding a 4-wheeler.

I never ride anywhere without eyepro, hell, when I changed the fuel pump in my truck I wore eyepro just cuz I was underneath it looking up at all sorts of dirt and rust.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The "air contract getting a stick in the eye" story has been around forever. Has anyone ever actually seen this happen? My company staff mercilessly mocked any air contract wearing eye protection.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Deciduous being the operative word. Growing up in the Northwest and walking around the evergreen forests I always thought the idea of wearing goggles in the woods was a little paranoid.

I've spent the last two weeks looking at how f'ing dense and mean looking the forest on Camp Barett looks, at least all along the PFT course.

I will probably rock an MCU-2P just to be safe...

Lawman

None
Per the Post Commanders orders you cannot be in the Woods at Ft Rucker without Eye Pro on. And believe me after E&E'ing through this Alabama Vine and Thorn mess we call woods, you bet your ass I had mine on all the time even when it was light outside.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The "air contract getting a stick in the eye" story has been around forever. Has anyone ever actually seen this happen? My company staff mercilessly mocked any air contract wearing eye protection.

Times change now every member of a squad kicking in an door have ballistic eye wear on so I cant see too much SPC mockery. We had an air contract lose an eye to an admin bivouac fire, squad made a fire and an old blank was on the deck and it went off throwing a piece of the casing into his eye. He ended up losing the eye and I think becoming an aviation supply guy though not sure.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Times change now every member of a squad kicking in an door have ballistic eye wear on so I cant see too much SPC mockery. We had an air contract lose an eye to an admin bivouac fire, squad made a fire and an old blank was on the deck and it went off throwing a piece of the casing into his eye. He ended up losing the eye and I think becoming an aviation supply guy though not sure.

Yeah, now it is ALL HANDS wearing eye pro. Students, AIs, SPCs- it doesn't matter. And losing an eye because an old blank cooks off, and a piece of metal gets in your eyeball...That's like having a submarine surface under your fishing boat; It was just your day.

And Huey, the woods to the right of the PFT route on the way out to LZ Cockatoo IS the final night course. But you're pretty smart so you probably already figured that out. Hell, you know what an MCU-2P is...nerd.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've spent the last two weeks looking at how f'ing dense and mean looking the forest on Camp Barett looks, at least all along the PFT course.

Mean? It's not necessarily mean. Just fleet average for East Coast. In fact, the Ticks are down right friendly, they'll be wanting to come back to your room to party for sure. If you've never had to deal with 'em, stand by....

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
Eye pro is for pansies. "The fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!"
-- Captain Lance Murdoch

MettGT

pilot
Mean? It's not necessarily mean. Just fleet average for East Coast. In fact, the Ticks are down right friend;y, they'll be wanting to come back to your room to party for sure. If you've never had to deal with 'em, stand by....

Nothing like being in the prone for a security halt and watching 20 ticks make a bee-line straight for you. I highly recommend using OFF Outdoorsman insect repellant (the one with something like 98% DEET). Sure it might give you cancer a few years down the road, but hey, you might only come back with 1 or 2 ticks on you instead of 4 or 5.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
Nothing like being in the prone for a security halt and watching 20 ticks make a bee-line straight for you. I highly recommend using OFF Outdoorsman insect repellant (the one with something like 98% DEET). Sure it might give you cancer a few years down the road, but hey, you might only come back with 1 or 2 ticks on you instead of 4 or 5.

I've got 6 bottles of "bug juice" ordered from REI right now. 98.1% Deet. The platoon will be tick free if I have my way.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
And Huey, the woods to the right of the PFT route on the way out to LZ Cockatoo IS the final night course. But you're pretty smart so you probably already figured that out. Hell, you know what an MCU-2P is...nerd.

It's almost as if I wore one every other day for 2 years straight because every react drill had to end in a gas attack of some kind or another for some reason...

The big white boxes are a dead give away.

MasterBates

Tick nest. Surpassed only by the leech infested swamp with a side helping of chiggers on my "things I hate about the woods" list.

(Yeah, not a YutYut, never been to Quantico, but have spent a goodly amount of time out in the hinterlands in my youth)

Lawman

None
Tick nest. Surpassed only by the leech infested swamp with a side helping of chiggers on my "things I hate about the woods" list.

(Yeah, not a YutYut, never been to Quantico, but have spent a goodly amount of time out in the hinterlands in my youth)

I was a boyscout and all that. Camped in pretty much every part of the country at one point or another and some parts of Canada. I have never in my life seen bugs the way they were in the woods of Quantico.

Side note to that, you havent tried to walk through the woods in the dark till you've E&E'd through the Black Briars and swamps of Southern Alabama.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Deciduous being the operative word. Growing up in the Northwest and walking around the evergreen forests I always thought the idea of wearing goggles in the woods was a little paranoid.

I will probably rock an MCU-2P just to be safe...

Have you run the E-course yet? Not only do you get to worry about losing your eyes, but also you get to worry about breaking your ankle in 8 places. :eek:

Oh, and myself and a couple other guys are planning on bathing in deet before we go out in the field. You can come back to aviation after being cancer free for a few years, Lime disease is forever!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Have you run the E-course yet? Not only do you get to worry about losing your eyes, but also you get to worry about breaking your ankle in 8 places. :eek:

Oh, and myself and a couple other guys are planning on bathing in deet before we go out in the field. You can come back to aviation after being cancer free for a few years, Lime disease is forever!

Lime disease I can handle....
squeezelimes.png

It's Lyme disease that I worry about...

deer-tick.jpg