• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Explanation of "scroll" process and Timeline of events until receipt of COMDOCs

X

xxxCharliexxx

Continued from prior post:

I’m trying to understand how people are drilling before receiving their comdocs. Are people raising their hand and taking the oath to serve and then having a commissioning ceremony when all their paperwork and comdocs are in and done? Is comdocs short for commissioning documents? Do people drill as cadets before they are commissioned? If people are drilling as cadets, do they receive officer drilling pay or what is the drill pay for a cadet? When exactly is a DCO person commissioned? Is it after the comdocs? Doesn’t your packet and all your medical have to be approved before you’re commissioned? If so, how are people drilling before their packet and medical are done? I understand being a DCO and becoming an officer before DCO school, but when exactly does this direct commissioning happen? It’s right after the comdocs, right? How can somebody drill if their medical files are lost and they don’t have a PQ, and therefore comdocs (as I understand a prior post?)

Ok, I'll take a stab at this. Someone correct me if i'm off on anything...

They are drilling because they are already in the military - commissioning as an officer is a separate thing.

Commissioning documents = comdocs

DCO person is directly commissioned after scroll process is completed, they have completed MEPS and have Physically Qualified (PQ) letter, final select letter, and comdocs.

-Charlie

X

xxxCharliexxx

Gonna try....

Hello everyone,

I would like to thank all those who responded to my post a few weeks ago, Charlie and a few others come to mind, thanks. I do have a few new questions. How does somebody drill before they get their comdocs? Do you drill as an officer? Do comdocs come after you have been scrolled? Isn’t scrolling what congress does to make you a commissioned officer – and then you are sent your comdocs? Aren’t you sworn in after you get your comdocs? Don’t you have to wait to be sworn in until you get your comdocs? Also, isn’t it correct that you can not attend DCO until you get your comdocs, right? Like I said, I only have a few questions, LOL. Thanks for the help…………

As stated before, they are drilling because they are in the military already prior to commissioning as an officer.

Comdocs come after scroll process.

Comdocs = commissioning documents

Scrolling process is the process of our names going before Congress for approval to be directly commissioned as an officer.

Comdocs are after scroll process.

You are sworn in after your comdocs are received.

You cannot receive a quota for DCOIC (Direct Commissioned Officer Indoctrination Course) until you have comdocs and have sworn in.

-Charlie

priorAF

OK, I get it.............

Thanks for helping and explaining this. I thought I had a pretty good handle on the pre and post selection, but I hadn’t realized a prior post was dealing with people already serving until I had already posted. I have to admit it took me a while to figure this out because I was fixated on “how can this be” and “what am I missing,” not realizing they are already serving. Anyway, thanks for confirming what I thought the pre and post processes are. Also, it seems from a few posts here that the process after selection moves at a fairly steady pace up to scrolling. As I understand it, there is the Professionally Recommended selection letter, then the physical, PQ letter, Final Selection letter, and then it’s off to scrolling and comdocs.

USAF.Boom

Oh, no! There has been nothing of a steady pace in this process, except the hurry up AND WAIT. I think this has been the most painful process so far, and I have been selected before (and severed) in some very "select" communities and this process has been worse than that.

Intel_warrior

Has anyone received word as to where in the process September 1635 board selects are(Letters and ComDocs)? My recruiter said that it will be January.

Devil Duck

Has anyone received word as to where in the process September 1635 board selects are(Letters and ComDocs)? My recruiter said that it will be January.

I've been told that as well. From what I've read in others' posts January may be a bit optimistic, but I'm still hopeful.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Comdocs come after scroll process.

Comdocs = commissioning documents

Scrolling process is the process of our names going before Congress for approval to be directly commissioned as an officer.

Comdocs are after scroll process.

You are sworn in after your comdocs are received.

What is this "scrolling process" you write of? I was a reserve officer recruiter for 5+ years, but left that job in 2002. Back then, there was no congressional action required at all in the DCO application/commissioning process. I think that by law, congressional approval for reserve officer appointments is only required at the O-5 and above level. The highest initial DCO rank I have personally seen is O-4, and one reason for that was to avoid the necessity of congressional action. Reserve DCO packages were enough of a pain to put together and move through the process; I can't believe that involving congress in it would make it any easier or more efficient.

Maybe a current reserve officer recruiter could shed some light.

cargodog

What is this "scrolling process" you write of? I was a reserve officer recruiter for 5+ years, but left that job on 2002. Back then, there was no congressional action required at all in the DCO application/commissioning process. I think that by law, congressional approval for reserve officer appointments is only required at the O-5 and above level. The highest initial DCO rank I have personally seen is O-4, and one reason for that was to avoid the necessity of congressional action. Reserve DCO packages were enough of a pain to put together and move through the process; I can't believe that involving congress in it would make it any easier or more efficient.

Maybe a current reserve officer recruiter could shed some light.

As I understand it: The scrolls list for newly commissioned officers is basically just a list of selectee's that have all their required paperwork in (medical and security). That list gets sent to SECNAV, and once its signed off on, then COMDOCS and final select letters are released. As far as I know, congress doesn't get involved here. (I hope they don't or else I may never commission!!!)

Intel Warrior: I was selected on a July board and haven't received anything yet! I've been on the scrolls list since mid-October. If you got your stuff in early, you might have made the October scrolls list, but I wouldn't count on it.

X

xxxCharliexxx

I don't think that's true. You can get your name back from scroll even before you get your medical or security done. So, it's not part of the process from what I understand. All I have ever heard was that to get your medical and security started before your name comes back from scroll so you don't have to wait any longer to get it done - since medical takes some time (not too long though), they would rather get it started as soon as possible before scroll returns so that if you have any gliches with medical, they can already be getting addressed so you lose the least amount of time.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
I don't think that's true.

OK, what don't you think is true?

Do you stand by your previous assertion that "Scrolling process is the process of our names going before Congress for approval to be directly commissioned as an officer"? If so, please provide a source for that information.

das

Contributor
OK, what don't you think is true?

Do you stand by your previous assertion that "Scrolling process is the process of our names going before Congress for approval to be directly commissioned as an officer"? If so, please provide a source for that information.

For what it's worth -- and I don't have a source to cite -- my recruiter at NRD Chicago explained that part of the "scrolling" process was Congressional approval, including for reserve DCO/DIRCOM (which is obviously largely a formality for O-1 commissions).

cargodog

After your scrolls are approved, COMDOCS should follow within ten days. Well, they aren't going to release docs if your medical and security wasn't done, so it would have to be done prior to getting onto scrolls list. I was medically approved and my security docs were in prior to selection. So I should have been on the first round of scrolls after July. But they changed the security questionnaire on me and I didn't find out until late September. I was told I didn't make scrolls because of it. Once I filled out the new paperwork, I made the October scrolls.

For what its worth, here's what wikipedia says about scrolls:

Commissions of officers in the U.S. Armed Forces are issued in the name of the President, although officers at and below the rank of captain (lieutenant in the Navy and Coast Guard) are actually appointed by the Secretary of Defense or, for the Coast Guard, the Secretary of Homeland Security. The commission of a newly commissioned officer would read:
The President of the United States of America To all who shall see these presents, greeting: Know Ye, that reposing special trust and confidence in the patriotism, valor, fidelity and abilities of .................., I do appoint ["him" or "her"] a ["Second Lieutenant" or "Ensign'] in the [name of service] to rank as such from the .... day of ........ ...... This Officer will therefore carefully and diligently discharge the duties of the office to which appointed by doing and performing all manner of things thereunto belonging. And I do strictly charge and require those Officers and other personnel of lesser rank to render such obedience as is due an officer of this grade and position. And this Officer is to observe and follow such orders and directives, from time to time, as may be given by me, or the future President of the United States of America, or other Superior Officers acting in accordance with the laws of the United States of America. This commission is to continue in force during the pleasure of the President of the United States of America for the time being, under the provisions of those Public Laws relating to Officers of the Armed Forces of the United States of America and the component thereof in which this appointment is made. Done at the City of Washington, this .... day of ........ in the year of our Lord ................ and of the Independence of the United States of America the .......... By the President: The certificate is signed by the secretary of the relevant military department (or of Homeland Security for the Coast Guard) and attested by the officer in charge of personnel of the service concerned (e.g., Adjutant General of the Army, Chief of Naval Personnel, etc.)

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
For what it's worth -- and I don't have a source to cite -- my recruiter at NRD Chicago explained that part of the "scrolling" process was Congressional approval, including for reserve DCO/DIRCOM (which is obviously largely a formality for O-1 commissions).

Well, I don't think your recruiter is correct. U.S. Code Title 10, section 531(a)(1) gives to the president alone the power to make initial appointment of regular officers in the grades of O-3 and below. Congress (specifically the Senate, in its role to advise and consent) only gets involved for O-4s and above. For reserve officers, the applicable statute is Title 10, section 12203(a), and the president alone has the authority to appoint reserve officers in the grade of O-5 and below. Obviously, the president delegates this appointment authority to others in the executive branch, specifically to those involved in personnel management in the various services.

If by "scrolls" or "scrolling" any of you are referring to the actual commissioning certificate or its production, Congress has nothing to do with that. It's a nice certificate, on heavyweight paper, suitable for framing, with autopen signatures of the service secretary and the uniformed officer in charge of personnel (for the Navy, the Chief of Naval Personnel, a Vice Admiral). It will be be delivered to the recruiter with the other COMDOCS and given to you after you take the oath of office and sign the Officer Appointment Acceptance and Oath of Office form (NAVCRUIT 1000/20). This is the only thing I can think of that might have anything to do with "scrolls" or "scrolling."

Iceman6291

It seems as if this question has been resolved already, but I thought that I would throw in my two cents just in case there was any lingering doubt.

My recruiter submitted my name for the scrolls process on 15 OCT 2009 (which if I read the previous posts correctly applies to a lot of the 3165 AUG applicants, of which I am one). He told me that SECNAV usually approves the list about every two months. The previous two posts verified that it is SECNAV and not Congress who approves them for officers below the rank of O-3 and below. I was told that we will most likely be receiving our commissions in JAN barring any further complications. But at this point we are at the mercy of the Secretary of the Navy. Apologies if this is redundant, figured that I would just post this for general consumption

das

Contributor
Thanks guys; that is definitive enough for me! I suppose what it comes down to is that there is a higher authority that "approves" the scrolls, and sometimes that process takes time. Hurry up and wait, as always. ;)