• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Explanation of "scroll" process and Timeline of events until receipt of COMDOCs

iroessle

Scrolling

Hey All,

Looks like the Long Blue wait is almost over. I got a call today that I was officially scrolled and the final select letter is being generated for a signature and comm docs to follow soon thereafter.

It's best to stay proactive with your applications. I called my recruiter atleast once a month and the last time I did he said he would ping up the chain to see what was up with my scrolling ( Took almost 5 months from Pro Rec'd date). My application was scrolled two days after he inquired up the chain about it.

My application went in Nov 2008.
ProRec'd Mar 03 2009
Scrolled Jul 29 2009

iroessle

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
It's finally coming to an end...

Well, folks...

I'm a little excited, so I have decided to drop the news. It appears that as of next Tuesday I FINALLY will commission as an intelligence officer in the Navy Reserve! My recruiter told me that my comdocs are on the way and I am meeting him, along with my family, on Tuesday to have my grandpa (former AF major) swear me in. I'm doing it in my summer whites and having my mom and grandma put on my shoulder boards.

Anyway, in customary fashion, here is my timeline (yes, quite long):

04 DEC 07 – First email contact with recruiting station
26 DEC 07 – Recruiter suggested waiting until Fall 2008 to apply
08 JAN 08 – Decided to apply to March 2008 board
30 JAN 08 – Took ASTB
03 FEB 08 – Interview with 3 CAPTs and 1 CDR
10 MAR 08 – Package submitted
24 MAR 08 – Board meets
09 APR 08 – Results arrive – “Tabled” (to be looked at again at a future date)
01 AUG 08 – Approximately when off-cycle board meets (without my previous knowledge)
21 AUG 08 – Results arrive – Selected (but had to commission supposedly by 30 SEP 08 due to fiscal year, but was out of the country until 20 OCT 08)
06 OCT 08 – On-Cycle board meets (considers me again)
20 OCT 08 – Results arrive – Selected
19 DEC 08 – Initial medical appointments completed
23 MAR 09 – Navy requests extra medical information
01 JUN 09 – Extra medical documents submitted
12 JUN 09 – Medical response - medically disqualified
15 JUN 09 – Submitted rebuttal letter/supporting evidence to medical staff
30 JUN 09 – Medically cleared for “Restricted Line Officer” – includes intelligence field
14 JUL 09 – Final select letter written – waiting for signature
21 JUL 09 – Recruiter calls final select letter signatory to inform him the letter was in his cue
27 JUL 09 – Final select letter signed/in system
29 JUL 09 – Final select letter received
06 AUG 09 – Commissioning documents arrive with recruiter
[FONT=&quot]11 AUG 09 - Commission[/FONT]

Please let me know if anyone has any questions on my process/selection (twice)/tabling/medical/processing/etc.

As of Tuesday, I'll join you in the ranks. Hope to see some of you soon.

Bucki

k2fourever

Congrats Bucki!

If you don't mind me asking, was there a particular reason you waited so long to have your medical done? My recuriter wants me to head to MEPS even before my package goes to a board. Wasn't sure if there was a particular reason for doing it either way, or if it is just a difference in recruiters' styles.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Congrats Bucki!

If you don't mind me asking, was there a particular reason you waited so long to have your medical done? My recuriter wants me to head to MEPS even before my package goes to a board. Wasn't sure if there was a particular reason for doing it either way, or if it is just a difference in recruiters' styles.

I kind of knew these questions were going to come, so here is a further explanation of my medical history.

After selection in the Oct 08 board, the first time I could get medical appointments at the Bethesda Naval Hospital was the beginning of December. Well, as you all can imagine, it took me going back there 4 times over 3 weeks to get all of the stuff checked off. After that it's fairly unclear as to what happened.

I had regular exchanges with my recruiter through Jan and Feb who told me that things were progressing. In March, he told me that the "navy is requesting more information about my medical history" (things like my old air force physicals, another check up with a doctor, etc). But he didn't tell me that. He just told me "he was going to find out what they wanted."

Well, at the end of May when I still hadn't heard anything, I got a little tired of the waiting game. So, I took the advice of my friend (another selectee) and went around my recruiter to talk directly with his processor.

When I spoke with her, she told me that the navy needed 4 specific things. Of course, I wondered why this information hadn't been passed along...but I just said whatever and sent her what she needed.

Two weeks later, I received my medical disqualification from the medical staff at CNRC. I put together a rebuttal letter, a note from a doctor, and a few other documents, and low and behold, another two weeks goes by and medical staff approved me. The rest of the process is pretty standard from there.

I always will wonder how long it would have taken if, in January, I had known exactly the extra information that the Navy needed. Unfortunately, they didn't get it until the end of May...but, as I said before, it's finally come along.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
P.S.

I commissioned today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First drill weekend is Sep 12. Hit up the "Commissioned Today" thread by SavvyPR to see my timeline of events.

See you all at DCOIC!

Congrats... Now comes the second series of your "long, blue wait." :D It will take 3 - 4 weeks before you are officially "gained" in the systems at your local NOSC. Once that happens, you can get your CAC Card :icon_tong

Unfortunately, you can't do anything online without your CAC :(

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Congrats... Now comes the second series of your "long, blue wait." :D It will take 3 - 4 weeks before you are officially "gained" in the systems at your local NOSC. Once that happens, you can get your CAC Card :icon_tong

Unfortunately, you can't do anything online without your CAC :(

Thanks...You're right on the timeline...that's what my recruiter said. He noted for me to "call him in a few weeks to see how the paperwork is going." I'm thinking, I just did 20 months of paperwork...I gotta do more? Oh well :icon_tong

smloan2

P.S.

I commissioned today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First drill weekend is Sep 12. Hit up the "Commissioned Today" thread by SavvyPR to see my timeline of events.

See you all at DCOIC!

Congrats!!! You have posted a lot about your experiences leading up to this point--it has finally paid off. Nicely done!

iroessle

Final Select Letter

Woohoo,

I got a final select letter via my recruiter this morning with COMDOCS to arrive in approximately 10 days.

Ian

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Woohoo,

I got a final select letter via my recruiter this morning with COMDOCS to arrive in approximately 10 days.

Ian

Congrats man! My experience was about 10 days...the ONLY time in my process that took as long as the recruiter said it would. :icon_tong

X

xxxCharliexxx

Decisions Decisions

I have just been selected DCO Intel. I know that I am 'scrolled' and this process takes roughly 3-4 months. A coulple questions are... what should i be doing in that timeframe to position myself better with a unit or otherwise? Are there any pitfalls that I could slip into in that timeframe? Any advice someone would give to direct me or any mistakes you have made that you wish someone had told you about in this process?

Also, between the time I submitted my packet to getting informed, I have moved from Texas to Utah. I don't mind travelling to drill if it's in my best 'career' interest. So my question is, is it hard to change where you drill? And what should i be thinking about as far as drilling units? What should i keep in mind when choosing one (if I get to choose lol). Thanks!

-Charlie

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Congrats!

what should i be doing in that timeframe to position myself better with a unit or otherwise?

Given your recent move from Texas to Utah, as well as the fact that you have not commissioned, I would talk to your recruiter. NOW.

Are there any pitfalls that I could slip into in that timeframe? Any advice someone would give to direct me or any mistakes you have made that you wish someone had told you about in this process?

Be very, very, very patient ;)

If you have not already gone to MEPS for your medical, then that will be your next step. After MEPS, you have to wait for your PQ letter, which can take a couple of months. After that, you receive your Final Select letter.

Your COMDOCs and commissioning are about 3 - 4 weeks after your receive your Final Select letter.

Once you are commissioned, you will perform an "INDOC" drill at your local NOSC. You take care of more paperwork and do another round of medical & dental tasks, among other things.

If you have not already done so, print out the security clearance paperwork you completed and update it to the 10-year point. Once you are assigned to a unit you are going to have to update it, so you might as well do it now.

I would also start saving money/budgeting for your uniforms. Plan on spending $1,500 - $2,000. Your uniform allowance is $400 and you will not receive it until you have been commissioned for 89 days.

If you want to read more about how everything works, read the attached. I sent the PDF to FedEx/Kinko's and had it printed and bound. It's a very useful document.

Make copies of every single piece of paper that you come into contact with.

So my question is, is it hard to change where you drill? And what should i be thinking about as far as drilling units? What should i keep in mind when choosing one (if I get to choose lol).

It is possible to change NIRR's/unit's. Given that you have not commissioned, I would take charge of this ASAP. Talk to your recruiter ASAP. Time is of the essence.

Attachments

• Administrative Procedures For Navy Reservists - BUPERSINST 1001.39F.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 101

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Charlie -

Bubblehead basically said everything you need to know (obviously, hence the "contributor" title).

Anyway, coming from someone who just did INDOC this month's DWE, I can tell you this. I drilled here in DC. I won't bore you with more information about my process/time length/etc but I'll tell you this--stay on top of your recruiter to make sure the paperwork gets done. Get your medical done, then make sure you get that physically qualified letter. After that, monitor the status of your final select letter and your comdocs should arrive about 2 weeks after that.

As for prepping for INDOC, just make sure you have your uniforms, I'd recommend at least 2 sets of khakis (get a jacket and maybe a sweater as well...its about to get cold). Two khakis, 1 summer whites, and 1 SDBs cost me a total of about $1,400.

As Bubblehead said, copy every document you get/have, track everything ON YOUR OWN (don't rely on other people to do it).

In my opinion, most importantly, don't try to do too much too quickly. You have plenty of time to get things done, and if something is really important that's not done, someone will come find you.

Hope that helps.

X

xxxCharliexxx

Thank you both!!!

That helps tremendously but I'm not certain what the acronyms stand for ...yet lol. I will be going through ocs (or whatever you just called it) in dead of winter (Feb if my timing is correct) so I don't think I will need summer whites. How do people afford this uniform? lol I'll start saving now I suppose. I already went to meps before the board and received the clearance letter. Does my recruiter need to do anything for me to get 'scrolled' or is that an automatic process? And once scrolled, is there anything my recruiter needs to do so that I get my comdocs and get to that ocs school? What was the PT like? Was the school intense?

Thanks for everything guys, I feel like a newborn but I love it and greatly appreciate your feedback!!

-Charlie

dephyler

Contributor
DCO school is not intense. Don't stress it. We don't do OCS. OCS is the path for active duty officers. They don't commission until they make it through OCS.

INDOC = Indoctrination weekend. It's just admin work at your NOSC. They teach you about retirement and the point system. It sucks but it's required.
NOSC = Naval Operational Support Center. It's the admin center for reservists. They store your medical record, handle mobilizations, and I believe store your service record (but I may be wrong on that).
DWE = drill weekend. your one weekend a month.