• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Expert Pistol Shot Medal/Ribbon..

Av8or72Dan

I called Camp Allen and they said $28 for 9mm and $38 for AR-15. Does that seem a little expensive or is that the norm for the quals?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Av8or72Dan said:
I called Camp Allen and they said $28 for 9mm and $38 for AR-15. Does that seem a little expensive or is that the norm for the quals?

Maybe I'm missing something here. Who are you paying? What are you paying for? If you can get a SAMI certified AO/TM/MA, then he can qual you, but to get a rifle or pistol qual, you really shouldn't have to pay. Technically, you could have the SAMI guy go to a public range and you fire your weapon w/ your bullets, but that's reeeeeally sketchy. And, if god forbid, something goes wrong, could cause some problems. Your money can't go back into the system to pay for the military bullets. If I skipped a post and misundertood, then disregard.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are two types of quals. One is so you are "qualifed" for those watchstanding duties that require being armed. The other is for the ribbon or medal. The qual for the ribbon/medal is more involved, so we always used that one for meeting the requirements for watchstanding. Getting the opportunity to earn your pistol/rifle ribbon/medal is for the most part a function of remaining NCEA (Non Combat Expenditure Allowance) for the fiscal year and the need to be qual'd. If you don't need it, you're already starting an uphill battle. If there is a limited amount of ammo remaining for your unit's NCEA, you're really gonna have a tough time getting the qual. Never should you be paying for your pistol/rifle qual....at least not for either of the Navy quals.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
There are two types of quals. One is so you are "qualifed" for those watchstanding duties that require being armed. The other is for the ribbon or medal. The qual for the ribbon/medal is more involved, so we always used that one for meeting the requirements for watchstanding. Getting the opportunity to earn your pistol/rifle ribbon/medal is for the most part a function of remaining NCEA (Non Combat Expenditure Allowance) for the fiscal year and the need to be qual'd. If you don't need it, you're already starting an uphill battle. If there is a limited amount of ammo remaining for your unit's NCEA, you're really gonna have a tough time getting the qual. Never should you be paying for your pistol/rifle qual....at least not for either of the Navy quals.
Yeah, paying is teh ghey.

Brett

0812GM

FY09 STA-21 NFO Select
Anyone know of the range's location at NAS P'cola (or is there one at Corry/Saufley/Whiting)? I know once OCS is done, I will be waiting for API and I would much rather be firing at the range (rifle or pistol) or something of the like than just sitting around waiting (provided I don't get watch)..

I am one of the instuctors at the P'cola range. We used to qualify you OCS guys when the school was down here. Unless your command has an allocation for ammuntition or if you are going on an IA deployemnt we cannot qualify you unfortunatly due to a shortage in the ammount of ammunition we recieve yearly. However there is a civilian range nearby which you can go to if you have any personal weapons. Upon checking into Pensacola you can register your firearm with security and check it into our armory and check it out as needed.

0812GM

FY09 STA-21 NFO Select
Maybe I'm missing something here. Who are you paying? What are you paying for? If you can get a SAMI certified AO/TM/MA, then he can qual you, but to get a rifle or pistol qual, you really shouldn't have to pay. Technically, you could have the SAMI guy go to a public range and you fire your weapon w/ your bullets, but that's reeeeeally sketchy. And, if god forbid, something goes wrong, could cause some problems. Your money can't go back into the system to pay for the military bullets. If I skipped a post and misundertood, then disregard.

I agree with you, we cannot even do any fundraising events for the command, NMCR or any others because you cannot "sell" gun quals.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Interesting, as I know a current Army Chaplain (Bull Col) that wears the CIB, expert marksman, and combat aircrew wings from his enlisted days, along with a bunch of rows of fruit salad. He said the troops are "much" more forthcoming with him than the other Chaplains in the sandbox. Gee, I wonder why....:D

A4 didn't we have to shoot 3 consecutive times at Expert to get it? I seem to remember something about that, cause I had to go back and refire on the M-1's to get expert rifle after I dropped to sharpshooter one time because of a hangover.

Used to live across the street in Virginia Beach from the chaplain for the SEAL Team at Little Creek. What a cool guy! He did everything the rest of the Team did, including breaking his leg after jumping out of a 130 at low altitude. He was a certified small-arms enthusiast and felt if he was to have meaningful relationships with his Team, he had to do it all.

I seem to remember having to shoot 3 times as Expert to be able to permanently wear the medal, back when us light attack guys had to be courier-qualed to carry nukes.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Used to live across the street in Virginia Beach from the chaplain for the SEAL Team at Little Creek. What a cool guy! He did everything the rest of the Team did, including breaking his leg after jumping out of a 130 at low altitude. He was a certified small-arms enthusiast and felt if he was to have meaningful relationships with his Team, he had to do it all.

I seem to remember having to shoot 3 times as Expert to be able to permanently wear the medal, back when us light attack guys had to be courier-qualed to carry nukes.

I worked with a Chaplain that was with one of the teams and it sounds like him. He played college hockey and often times could do more pullups than the guys in the teams. I wish I could remember his name, he was pretty much "Chaps" from day one.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....I seem to remember having to shoot 3 times as Expert to be able to permanently wear the medal, back when us light attack guys had to be courier-qualed to carry nukes.
You had to re-qual prior to every cruise (every year?) for courier qual ... but the first time through w/ a range certified and monitored weapon/course of fire would get you the ribbon & medal ...

Unless my DD-214 is amiss ... :)

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
roger that. it will go into my notes...right beside 'aerobatics', not 'acrobatics'. this forum is good for so many things :)

Actually, I'll have to side with A4 on this one. "Acro" vs "aerobatics" is a matter of preference. Using the descriptor "clip" is truly queer. The only shooters you hear using that term are chics who hide their compact pistols in their purses. This probably should've been addressed in the "Basic Man Skills" thread a few weeks ago.

That said, if you're at NASNI or Norfolk, try calling one of the NSW units, most likey the west or east coast TRADETs. They run alot of ranges and can probably let you attend one for a hefty amount of good beer. they periodically run qual ranges for their "techs" (support personnel). You would fare well if you're a helo guy as Team guys are always looking for the "inside track" for a training opportunity, whether it be real or imagined. if you're a F/W guy, use the "We'll make sure you get good CAS" angle.

They also don't have ammo/budgeting considerations, so you'll probably blow more rounds in a morning than most pilots see in a career.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
They also don't have ammo/budgeting considerations, so you'll probably blow more rounds in a morning than most pilots see in a career.

Be it from pistols or crew-served. Either way, you're probably still right.

Old NFO

None
Thanks Zip- I didn't think I had totally lost all the marbles... just 'most' of them. A4, you came in as a "O", I was originally Enlisted, so I'm pretty sure we had 'different' requirements. And yes, we did have to shoot the old trench guns to stand watch too! When I got commissioned, we had to 'qualify' for courier duty with those POS Victory .38s. Mine was so damn old I think it would have qualified as a smoothbore:D

Zissou

Banned
I put a guy here in touch with NSWG-1 TRADET Weapons Cell CPO. They have 100% range load, 7 days a week. Ammo isn't an issue but they are running the indoor range 0700-2200 and have no room for anyone right now. Once they get this next group deployed they will have breathing room and will be able to hook some guys up.

Normally this isn't the case but predeployment training is killing them for right now.