• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Expert Pistol Shot Medal/Ribbon..

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Gator, thanks for the info... Now... to find the next piece of paper to feel my wrath...

jmiller82

Anyone know of the range's location at NAS P'cola (or is there one at Corry/Saufley/Whiting)? I know once OCS is done, I will be waiting for API and I would much rather be firing at the range (rifle or pistol) or something of the like than just sitting around waiting (provided I don't get watch)..

jmiller82

Oh yeah, by the way, the reason my father (a retire Navy Chaplain) could not qualify, but could still fire at the range, was because of the non-combatent status as mentioned by someone above.. He even went so far as to say that he could have qualified without heck from the Navy & Chaplain Corps, but his denomination would have frowned upon a pistol-qualified Chaplain.. Sounds like the old wild west where the padre carries around his revolver and shoots down anyone who crosses him or the Lord! Thanks for the great info and keep it coming guys!

jmiller82

LMAO!! A4, I'll have to pass that one on to the old man! Actually, he was ordained UCC (which as you've probably seen, is going way too liberal - marrying gays), but has always maintained a Methodist perspective. Either way, both of these denominations tend to frown on a pistol-toting or guns-promoting reverend!! I always remember as a kid the RP's in his office: one was prior SpecWar and the other was grounded (eyes I believe) Army Warrant Officer (interservice xfer).. Both were expert marksmen and I think the SpecWar guy had some decorations or ribbons for the Navy marksman team (not exactly sure what it was called though).

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Usually, MWR runs a pistol/rifle qual thing for 35 bucks or so. I have never attended one of those outings, but I assume it involves use of the weapon, ammo, and maybe some brief instruction, oh yeah, and a rangemaster to fill out the paperwork.

Every time I qualified with the Navy, they more or less handed me the weapon and told me to start shooting. I never knew anything about loop/hasty slings or breathing techniques. While I usually managed to pull off "sharpshooter", there is no replacement for quality instruction.

R/ Paul

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Anyone have any gouge on qualifying out in San Diego? I'll be there for four weeks and it would be sweet to come back with a ribbon or something!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HighDimension said:
Anyone have any gouge on qualifying out in San Diego? I'll be there for four weeks and it would be sweet to come back with a ribbon or something!
Good luck. It's generally going to be hard to get range time (more importantly and NCEA ammo allotment) without being attached to a unit that has a requirement to shoot (I.E. squadron). All in good time - your fleet squadron will provide ample opportunity to shoot.

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gun-toting preachers

j_m74 said:
LMAO!! A4, I'll have to pass that one on to the old man!

Worked for Clint...In Pale Rider, he was a "man of the cloth" and strapped on iron when necessity demanded it.

0790751216.01._PE43_.Pale-Rider._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

jmiller82

Haha! Clint is the man! If only the Navy would condone its Chaplains to carry.. Seems to me that for the USMC, since it uses Navy Chaplains embedded in its units, it would allow its Chaplains to be packing.. Then again, that's why they fall under Navy regs as a NAVY Chaplain!

Brett:

Good luck. It's generally going to be hard to get range time (more importantly and NCEA ammo allotment) without being attached to a unit that has a requirement to shoot (I.E. squadron). All in good time - your fleet squadron will provide ample opportunity to shoot.
Does this mean that during Intermediate/ Primary/ before API, I couldn't give it a try (assuming I stay in P'cola for the remainder of my NFO training)?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
j_m74 said:
Does this mean that during Intermediate/ Primary/ before API, I couldn't give it a try (assuming I stay in P'cola for the remainder of my NFO training)?

You can give it a try, but you'll have to find the bullets. That's where the problems arises. They have to be Navy bullets, and someone has to pay for them (and it's not you).

Old NFO

None
j_m74 said:
Oh yeah, by the way, the reason my father (a retire Navy Chaplain) could not qualify, but could still fire at the range, was because of the non-combatent status as mentioned by someone above.. He even went so far as to say that he could have qualified without heck from the Navy & Chaplain Corps, but his denomination would have frowned upon a pistol-qualified Chaplain.. Sounds like the old wild west where the padre carries around his revolver and shoots down anyone who crosses him or the Lord! Thanks for the great info and keep it coming guys!
Interesting, as I know a current Army Chaplain (Bull Col) that wears the CIB, expert marksman, and combat aircrew wings from his enlisted days, along with a bunch of rows of fruit salad. He said the troops are "much" more forthcoming with him than the other Chaplains in the sandbox. Gee, I wonder why....:D

A4 didn't we have to shoot 3 consecutive times at Expert to get it? I seem to remember something about that, cause I had to go back and refire on the M-1's to get expert rifle after I dropped to sharpshooter one time because of a hangover.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
jm74.... if you get to OCS, you will do pistol qual there. Heck, they might even do rifle up in Newport. NASP Does not have the capability to do rifle qual... so they say. And you can't just bring a check for 35 bucks and qual at NASP... has to be a command sponsored event.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Old NFO said:
A4 didn't we have to shoot 3 consecutive times at Expert to get it? I seem to remember something about that, cause I had to go back and refire on the M-1's to get expert rifle after I dropped to sharpshooter one time because of a hangover.
Nope .... first time through ... 1911A1 .... EXPERT circa 1971. First time through ... M14 .... EXPERT circa 1971. :)

C16.jpg

Old NFO

None
A4sForever said:
Nope .... first time through ... 1911A1 .... EXPERT circa 1971. First time through ... M14 .... EXPERT circa 1971. :)

Roger that- Guess I've killed too many brain cells since then:D