• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Expert Pistol Shot Medal/Ribbon..

jmiller82

I was wondering for some of you prior service or active duty guys out there, if anyone is qualified as a marksman, sharpshooter, or if they have received the expert rifle shot or expert pistol shot medals? If so, how exactly do you go about qualifying or testing for this? Is it limited to Special Warfare guys or is it for any designator (i.e. Aviators & NFO's) that wants to take the course or attempt to qualify? I was just curious because I saw it on someone's resume the other day at the office and didn't get a chance to ask about it. I have some experience in both pistol and rifle (hunting/high powered) range practice and was just wondering if that was something available to me in the future (of course, after I finish OCS, API, Primary, Intermediate, FRS, etc!).. Also, one more question: My father is a retired Navy Chaplain (O-5), but swears he took the pistol marksmanship course (just because) and did so so.. However, I was under the impression that the Chaplain was forbidden to engage in such acts involving weapons (even if it is just targets!), per the NAVREG.. Aren't RP's supposed to carry out that sort of stuff? Of course, he can't remember when and where it happened, but swears on it!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
As for the pistol/rifle ribbons:

I wear expert in both. I know all military personnel (save maybe chaplains and doctors) are eligible to shoot their respective service's pistol and rifle qualification courses, and wear the appropriate awards based on performance.

As far as getting to the range to qualify, you need to contact the small arms facility on base. They'll be able to tell you what you need to do in order to get to the range to qualify, or talk to OPS at your unit.

MasterBates

I have shot a pistol twice in 6 years.

Never had the chance to qualify with a rifle. I have tried, but no quotas available....

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
They made me qual on the rifle... Not that I wouldn't have done it voluntarily (is that a word?)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Qualed Expert with the .38 in AOCS then requaled with the .45 and Sig at various times. Qualed Expert with the M-16 by doing a section cross country to Beale AFB and trading the range guys a bunch of zappers, patches and ballcaps for the ammo and qual. Just brought our Navy forms with us. Worked 4.0

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I don't know how it is done now, but in 1984 we could use the range's weapons but we had to buy our own ammo to practice. When you thought that you were good enough you asked to shoot a qualifying round. If it was good enough the rangemaster gave you a form to give to your command and the ribbon came in the mail.

Eyeball

If you're GUNNO or ORDO, or are friends with one, you will have plenty of opportunities for practice and qualifying.

Unless he was submitting it to Blackwater, what kind of jackass puts that on a resume?

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I got my pistol ribbon (sharpshooter) last summer in norfolk. I saw flyers around the base to get qualified and was doing nothing better so I went ahead and did it. I was a MIDN at the time so if I can do it, anyone can. They have you shoot around 50 rounds and it took around 30 minutes. You do standing, kneeling, strong hand, and weak hand shooting. The range of the target also varies from 3 feet to 20 feet (not sure the exact distances). I think they had me shoot 5 round clips with some of the cycles involving clip exchanges. You get so many points at the end and that is what bases the type of ribbon/attachment(?) you get.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
j_m74 said:
I was wondering for some of you prior service or active duty guys out there, if anyone is qualified as a marksman, sharpshooter, or if they have received the expert rifle shot or expert pistol shot medals? If so, how exactly do you go about qualifying or testing for this? .....
It's tougher to do now with $$$, range priorities, and time considerations, but you can do it. In your case --- if it's not part of your prospective training --- chances seem to range from slim to none. The local boys at the shooting range are now qualifying only aircrewmembers as needed, EOD's and the Shore Patrol/Security boys and girls. And the MARTD Marines, of course. :)

The priorities and who gets qual'ed and who doesn't change, like the seasons and the wind.

"WE" used to qualify every Aviator and officer Crewman (NFO) on the .38 and the .45 --- as you might get tasked to be a courier and had to be "qualified". Of course, tactical aircrews were all qualifying as we would be "carrying" in WestPac. At this time, the opportunity to shoot "well" and get a sharpshooter or expert ribbon was available. I shot expert in both ... a little BN/NFO kid from NYC with really, really, really bad eyes ran out to my target when the range went cold and joyfully announced that he'd "qualified" until a GM helped him over to his target. :icon_smil

I took the opportunity that was THEN available to go to the range on my own time and shoot expert with the M14. I don't think the rifle option is open to aircrews these days --- unless you know someone or participate on the Rifle/Pistol team. I would suggest doing that --- the "team" --- most stations have one ... I did it in the Reserves to block out the crushing boredom of my last year in the IRR. It worked ...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
mules83 said:
They have you shoot around 50 rounds and it took around 30 minutes. You do standing, kneeling, strong hand, and weak hand shooting. The range of the target also varies from 3 feet to 20 feet (not sure the exact distances). I think they had me shoot 5 round clips with some of the cycles involving clip exchanges. You get so many points at the end and that is what bases the type of ribbon/attachment(?) you get.

Ok.. looks like the pistol course of fire has changed since I last qualed (summer of 2003)...

Anyone know if I need to re-qual expert on the new course to keep my E, or do I just need to shoot at least marksman to keep proficiency?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
mules83 said:
I got my pistol ribbon (sharpshooter) last summer in norfolk. .....I think they had me shoot 5 round clips with some of the cycles involving clip exchanges. ...
mules ... I love you, kid ... but it's MAGAZINES ... NOT CLIPS. If you want to be a pistolero or sound like one ... it's magazines. :)

Just tryin' to help keep you from losing your mind.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
roger that. it will go into my notes...right beside 'aerobatics', not 'acrobatics'. this forum is good for so many things :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
mules83 said:
roger that. it will go into my notes...right beside 'aerobatics', not 'acrobatics'. this forum is good for so many things :)

This one will go far.

I have yet to get my pistol ribbon, never had a chance.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
mules is right, over in norfolk, if you got the money and the specific time frame (Wed at 1700 for rifle and Fri at 1700 for pistol) you can qual. I just did that over a month ago. Its the pistol and rifle range behind the military housing (there are signs for it but are really small) or you can just ask any Marine and they'll tell you exactly how to get there.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
TheBubba said:
Ok.. looks like the pistol course of fire has changed since I last qualed (summer of 2003)...

Anyone know if I need to re-qual expert on the new course to keep my E, or do I just need to shoot at least marksman to keep proficiency?

There are different courses. Some have you do the varying distance and switch hands, other courses just do the Death to Paper at 25 yards. Once you're qual'ed in whatever level you qual'ed in, you're good to go to wear the device (provided you have the paperwork, of course). If you blow away the world and get Expert, then later, become a dirt sniper, you still hold the Expert device.