• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Expert Pistol Shot Medal/Ribbon..

Zissou

Banned
Thanks Zip- I didn't think I had totally lost all the marbles... just 'most' of them. A4, you came in as a "O", I was originally Enlisted, so I'm pretty sure we had 'different' requirements. And yes, we did have to shoot the old trench guns to stand watch too! When I got commissioned, we had to 'qualify' for courier duty with those POS Victory .38s. Mine was so damn old I think it would have qualified as a smoothbore:D

LOL! Smoothbore is a nickname now for anyone who shoots like a blindman!

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Back in the day you were required to qualify every year if you were a courier or for carrying as aircrew, but it you shot E three years in a row you could keep the medal and wear it even if the qual lapsed like you went to shore duty or shot poorly every now and then. Kept a guy from having to remount his medals all the time.

OPNAVINST 3591.1E dated 20 Deb 2007 is the current instruction

http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives...0 Training and Readiness Services/3591.1E.pdf

It discusses range requirements, qualification sequence of fire, conversion from other service ranges, etc.

There are many different range quals. Some used to not be acceptable for shooting for score. But after 9-11 they allowed other service scores to be adjusted to enable ribbon / medal qualification. Basically you need to score 95% or better for E, 90% or better for S, and 85% or better for M, with 75% or better for watchstander.

Most commands I've been in recently have plussed up their NCEA (ammo allocation) to actually allow proficiency when shooting. We tryically shoot 9mm every other month. I also view it as senior officer therapy, so it serves multiple purposes of proficiency, stress relief, camaraderie, and wagering. We usually bet a beer per point of delta between two people's scores.

The best program is the NIACT course for IAs down at Fort Jackson. It is a 3 week total immersion course where you carry an M-16 and 9mm everywhere. They live fire, sim fire, zero weapons, and eventually qualify you on pop-up targets for the M-16. Once you zero your weapon, you will shoot until you qualify. Some guys take days, but almost everyone can qualify eventually, without lowering standards. And, you actually gain a comfort factor with the weapons, rather than feeling like Barney Fife. Down side is you get to use your new found proficiency "boots on the ground" in Iraq, HOA, or Afghanistan for a year.

Camp Allen Range at Norfolk is used for weapon qual, but it is also an MWR facility, so they rent guns and sell ammo for your personal use during specific times of the day. Not any different than the golf course, really. You can rent equipment or bring your own (must comply w/ specific safety & transportation regs, which vary by base). Often they require you to purchase ammo only from them - probably keeps people from using creative loads that they concoct on their own. They'll give you either a range safety brief and test, or you'll have to sit through the 20 minute safety lecture each time prior to shooting. If you shoot and pass the Navy Qual course, they'll give you the paperwork to verify your score to take back to your command.

On bases where they don't have a range, many commands have made arrangements w/ a local range to provide the same opportunity. If you think about it, it's a winner for both parties. The range gets more business and perhaps inspires someone to become a gun enthusiast, and the individual gets the eopportunity to possibly shoot for a ribbon or medal.

One other thing I saw recently but cannot remember where - USNA mids can wear Navy weapon qual ribbons. NROTC mids cannot wear the Navy Ribbon unless they were actually on Summer Training under paid orders when they qualified. Having said that, most units have their own "fruit salad" that has a Pistol Team / Rifle Team ribbon as an extra-curricular activity ribbon.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NROTC mids cannot wear the Navy Ribbon unless they were actually on Summer Training under paid orders when they qualified. Having said that, most units have their own "fruit salad" that has a Pistol Team / Rifle Team ribbon as an extra-curricular activity ribbon.
That stuff's actually CNET authorized and standardized, IIRC. Though if I were king tomorrow, I would abolish it. Maybe today's mids feel different, but when I went through it was a running joke how some STA-21 guy might have 4 or 5 "real" ribbons that he actually earned. While next to him was some MIDN 1/c looking like a South American dictator after spending a semester in the band, drill team, colorguard, and whatever else.

Flugelman

Contributor
One other thing I saw recently but cannot remember where - USNA mids can wear Navy weapon qual ribbons. NROTC mids cannot wear the Navy Ribbon unless they were actually on Summer Training under paid orders when they qualified.

Do the USNA Mids still get firearms training/quals during their "Plebe Summer"? Years ago the USN Rifle and Pistol team members would train them before going on our workups to the Interservice and National Matches. It was great working with youngsters who actually listened to you with every fiber of their being and really worked hard. Good times...

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
mules ... I love you, kid ... but it's MAGAZINES ... NOT CLIPS. If you want to be a pistolero or sound like one ... it's magazines. :)

Just tryin' to help keep you from losing your mind.

Unless, of course, you are shooting "the finest battle implement ever devised." Then it most definitely IS a "clip".

<ping!>

361-USRIFLE-7.jpg

red_ryder

None
I am one of the instuctors at the P'cola range. We used to qualify you OCS guys when the school was down here. Unless your command has an allocation for ammuntition or if you are going on an IA deployemnt we cannot qualify you unfortunatly due to a shortage in the ammount of ammunition we recieve yearly. However there is a civilian range nearby which you can go to if you have any personal weapons. Upon checking into Pensacola you can register your firearm with security and check it into our armory and check it out as needed.

Out of curiosity, where's that range at? :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... When I got commissioned, we had to 'qualify' for courier duty with those POS Victory .38s. Mine was so damn old I think it would have qualified as a smoothbore:D
Victory model --- the WW2 variant of the S&W Model 10, probably the most recognized, all-around, ubiquitous .38 special revolver of the last century.

Now that you mention it, I think ours "rattled" a little bit w/ the cylinder locked up ... :D

Also funny ... the Gunner's made us qualify single action with the .38 revolver ... i.e., we had to "turn" the revolver 90 degrees left (kinda gangsta style) to cock the hammer w/ the weak-hand, rotate the piece back to the vertical and fire .... every round.

That made the rapid fire sequences "interesting" for some of the guys who were walkin', talkin', and chewin' gum at the same time 'challenged'. :)