• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted Nuke or NUPOC?

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Or just trudging along until you can't stand it any longer, eh Steve-o? ;) There's a difference between professionalism and poor career choices. One might wonder what the outcome would have been if a certain someone had stuck with aviation.

Brett

LETS GET IT ON!!!!!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or just trudging along until you can't stand it any longer, eh Steve-o? ;) There's a difference between professionalism and poor career choices. One might wonder what the outcome would have been if a certain someone had stuck with aviation.

Brett
That's all moot. I was quite successful as a SWO, and given a lot of responsibility because of it. Whether I enjoyed the work or not had nothing to do with how well I did. Remember, hindsight is not wisdom.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's all moot. I was quite successful as a SWO, and given a lot of responsibility because of it. Whether I enjoyed the work or not had nothing to do with how well I did. Remember, hindsight is not wisdom.

Nice RNC talking point. I don't doubt your professionalism, but I would think you'd agree that enjoyment of one's work would certainly balance out some of the incurred stressors to a greater extent than if the work were merely tolerated.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would think you'd agree that enjoyment of one's work would certainly balance out some of the incurred stressors to a greater extent than if the work were merely tolerated.
No doubt about it. Too often, I think people go through life doing just that.....tolerating their job. This isn't just isolated to folks in the military either. There's something to be said to being able to wake up in the morning a majority of the time actually wanting to go into work.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I don't mean this to be discouraging in any way...really...but what do you want to do??

That's a question a lot of juniors and seniors in college can't really answer, let alone a 17-year old. She's just exploring her options like anyone should.

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
...is that you will not be successful in the military unless you are really doing something you love.

I agree with this 100%!

In my case, I hate math. Oh, I can do math just fine and understand math, but I realy hate doing math. I also hate being a mechanic, but I can do it successfully if I need to because I am an intelligent human.

That said, I talked myself into the Nuclear Power program, where I had no place being. I was not happy during the first 3+ years of my Navy career, and my grades during school refelcted it and my performance in the fleet reflected it.

Once I got de-nuked (for throwing the bi-annual requal test), I was much happier, but not enough to stay in for 20 years as a regular Machinist Mate. Now, had I joined as an IS or cross-rated to an IS, I probably would be a Chief or even an officer by now. I absolutely LOVE being in the Intel field, and it fits great with my interests in History and Geography. Love it, love it, love it!

A friend of mine told me that although he has a degree is biochemistry, he loves being in Finance, because it come naturally for him. If we truely enjoy a particular field, then it appears to be easy for us to do the work and put up with the set backs that will come.

I am pretty confident in saying, had I been in my present rate instead of MM, I would have been much more successful in my active Navy career. I would have been much more apt to excel and I certainly wouldn't have had a Captain's Mast for throwing the bi-annual nuke exam, just so I could get out of the program.

Of course, despite great LORs from my current chain of command, my Masters degree, and extra-curricular activities, I think my past NJP and average evals back in the early years of my Navy career severely hurt my chances of being an officer now. Of course, I accept that and plan to excel now to make Chief.

As a former divisional career counselor, I HIGHLY suggest that anyone joining the military, enlisted or officer, must spend the time to find a job that they like. Look to your hobbies to discover this field.

If you enjoy reading history, discussing politics, following current events, and/or staring at maps, don't be in the engineroom! :icon_tong Of course, if you love taking things apart, fixing up old cars, changing the brakes on your auto, and/or using a soldering iron then a mechanical or electronic field is the best!

If you prefer to break the laws of physics by lifting your heavy body into the air using a far more heavy machine, doing crazy acrobatics the body was not designed to sustain, and try landing on a strip of moving real estate the size of a strip of Double Mint gum, then perhaps pilot or NFO is your thing. ;)

Bottom line, do what you love, or your military career will not be as rewarding as it should be.

Thats the word from the bilges. Thank you for your time. Please move along...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
That's a question a lot of juniors and seniors in college can't really answer, let alone a 17-year old. She's just exploring her options like anyone should.

No kidding...and I didn't say that she shouldn't...But it doesn't mean that she shouldn't try to think about it like that.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I don't mean this to be discouraging in any way...really...but what do you want to do??.....
greysword said:
As a former divisional career counselor, I HIGHLY suggest that anyone joining the military, enlisted or officer, must spend the time to find a job that they like. Look to your hobbies to discover this field.
One Eyed Louis said:
There's something to be said to being able to wake up in the morning a majority of the time actually wanting to go into work.
*sniff* *sniff* .... I know, I know .... and thanks for caring. All of you ...

I just wanted to bomb Gomers ... *sigh* .... bomb all of 'em ... *bigger sigh* ... bombing was my business and business was good. Then some spoil-sport politician (who probably started it) killed it off and ruined everything. And the only guys staying "in" were dicks ....

Sooooo ..... I went into the airlines ... *sniff* ... THAT was discouraging in a sense after 3 airlines, incompetent self-serving management(s), b!tchy flight attendants, dumb cargo, sheep-like passengers, questionable bedwetting crewmembers, bad food, a never-ending succession of hotels and bad mattresses, many lost hours of sleep, and many, many years of staring out a cockpit windshield.

And after all this .... "they" wouldn't let you kill ANYONE .... like it's bad for business. *big sniff*

It's quite the conundrum ... flying and bombing/killing is GOOD in one job .... and then it's NOT SO GOOD in the next job ..... what is a person to think ??? How is one to maintain their "professionalism" .... *sniff*

*sigh* ... I'll have to address that in the book. You can read about it therein ....

[threadjack/course correction ... OUT]

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
sheep-like passengers,

So how would you like your passengers? I would be more than happy to ride on your plane and call out traffic, tell the stewardesses what to do and assert my rights, but are we allowed to do that? I get ticked off having some person telling me that I need to have my window open on final approach when I want to sleep; I understand tube EP's and think I could handle one better than any flight attendant, but we are all sheep in the friendly skies.

As a professional back seat driver, I do enjoy complementing the pilot on a nice landing when they grease one.

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
Sooooo ..... I went into the airlines ... *sniff* ... THAT was discouraging in a sense after 3 airlines, incompetent self-serving management(s), b!tchy flight attendants, dumb cargo, sheep-like passengers, questionable bedwetting crewmembers, bad food, a never-ending succession of hotels and bad mattresses, many lost hours of sleep, and many, many years of staring out a cockpit windshield.

Yep, welcome to the civilian world. :) Let this be a lesson to everyone who wants to get out before you retire. It's not as rosey as you might think, because civilians are stupid and wander around without knowing what they are doing. They promote the slackers and idiots and keep those who work in one place because the work is actually getting done! They will downsize you without any support, so job security isn't. beware the civilian world. Stay in the cozy confines of the USN...at least until you retire and get that magic paycheck each month. :tongue2_1

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4s,When is the book coming out, or is it more of a metaphorical book?
Ahhhhh .... my almost/semi-young skull full of cottage cheese .... unless it's a book on mathematics ... what book isn't "metaphorical" when you get right down to it ... ???? :)

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Yep, welcome to the civilian world. :) Let this be a lesson to everyone who wants to get out before you retire. It's not as rosey as you might think, because civilians are stupid and wander around without knowing what they are doing. They promote the slackers and idiots and keep those who work in one place because the work is actually getting done! They will downsize you without any support, so job security isn't. beware the civilian world. Stay in the cozy confines of the USN...at least until you retire and get that magic paycheck each month. :tongue2_1

I want to print that and hand it out to anyone who asks "Why in the hell are you going military?"

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Once I got de-nuked (for throwing the bi-annual requal test), I was much happier, but not enough to stay in for 20 years as a regular Machinist Mate. Now, had I joined as an IS or cross-rated to an IS, I probably would be a Chief or even an officer by now. I absolutely LOVE being in the Intel field, and it fits great with my interests in History and Geography. Love it, love it, love it!

I am pretty confident in saying, had I been in my present rate instead of MM, I would have been much more successful in my active Navy career. I would have been much more apt to excel and I certainly wouldn't have had a Captain's Mast for throwing the bi-annual nuke exam, just so I could get out of the program.
Sorry, I don't buy it. IMO, throwing a test, especially one that is your duty to study for and pass, is unprofessional and demonstrates a character flaw. Based on that, it is very likely that you would have found something else in another rate that you weren't happy about and "thrown" that too.

That said, I talked myself into the Nuclear Power program, where I had no place being. I was not happy during the first 3+ years of my Navy career, and my grades during school refelcted it and my performance in the fleet reflected it.
What a bullsh!t excuse for mediocrity.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Sorry, I don't buy it. IMO, throwing a test, especially one that is your duty to study for and pass, is unprofessional and demonstrates a character flaw. Based on that, it is very likely that you would have found something else in another rate that you weren't happy about and "thrown" that too.

What a bullsh!t excuse for mediocrity.
I'm not saying it's right but I know an active duty Captain, pilot and former squadron CO that's in the running for a star that purposely flunked out of Nuke Power school eons ago.

He was drafted into Nuke out of the Academy when he wanted to be a pilot. If they flunked out in the beginning, they had to go SWO. If you flunked out latter on, there was more leeway in getting a new designator. So he started out kicking butt and gradually let his grades slip throughout, finally flunking out at the very end. He asked for extra tutoring and everything. He played a patient game lasting almost 2 years. Since he tried so hard, they gave him his choice of community.

This was also during the early years of the Reagan 600 ship Navy buildup so any officer that flunked out or DORed from any program was given a new designator and had to serve out their commitment. There is probably zero chance of doing this today.

But I've got to admire his gamesmanship and ability to achieve his goal.

And he was a damn fine officer, excellent pilot and great squadron CO. If he makes Admiral, he will probably retire with 3 or 4 stars.