• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted Nuke or NUPOC?

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
Ok, here is my two cents as a former nuke enlisted: Go Officer Instead! ;)

First, you do all the same watchstanding and deployments as your would be enlisted coleagues, however, you do less to none of the crap work.

Second, the calculas, physics, and chemistry taught in enlisted Nuclear Power School is very focused on reactor operations, and does not delve deeply into any other facet of these subjects...very VERY focused and limited. They are NOT equivalent to a class in a regular university, and they will not give you credit for it.

Third, you can get a 2 year nuclear technology degree from Thomas Edison college with only a couple additional classes taken, but that is no where near a real full blown engineering degree.

Now, if you would like detailed info on the NUPOC process, I HIGHLY suggest you read the following threads on the Navy OCS forum:

http://www.usnavyocs.com/portal/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1635

http://www.usnavyocs.com/portal/mod...le=viewtopic&t=1942&highlight=nupoc+interview

They are first hand accounts on the interviews and process of being selected. The Navy OCS forum will also provide a better place to get specific questions answered.

From what I have read, the process seem to be easier than the normal OCS review boards, if you know your math and sciences (you'll see from the threads listed).

Oh, if you are in your junior or senior year of college, the Navy BDCP program will pay you a salary to go to school just like you were an enlisted person. If you are a freshman or sophmore, I suggest looking into NROTC. Otherwise, go for OCS.

Bottom line, if you have to put up with all the hardships of being in the military, then you might as well get paid well for it and gain the prestige of being an officer.

Please do not listen to the enlisted recruiter, because he/she will get a bonus for getting you into the nuke program, or at least they used to. Do not accept the financial talk of an enlistment bonus, because you will be making twice as much as an officer in salary AND you may be eligible for a bonus. Then there is that whole free school (NROTC scholarship) or being paid while going to school (BDCP) thing.

Good luck, and please feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

Chris

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Melissa, I sent you a PM with my number so you can call me. We should really discuss this.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Melissa, I sent you a PM with my number so you can call me. We should really discuss this.

Smooth. :D

jhdnll7l.jpg

Rubiks06

pilot
I was a NUKE...i got better. Yes the enlisted side is good but dont fall prey to this guy making a quota. You are plenty smart enough to go officer NUKE. Finish your college and get in touch with the officer recruiter. The best part is that they are always looking for officers of the NUKE type. The ball is in your court and you are the one making the deal. Dont let these guys push you around...much like buying a car dont sign ANYWHERE till you are sure you know what you are getting. Off my soapbox. In short i was an enlisted nuke it got me to my officer accession but it took me 6 years dont waste your college degree....take the commision.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Late getting to the thread...however, you have already gotten some very good advice. The only thing I would amplify is this.

YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A DEGREE AFTER THE NUC PIPELINE!!!!

This is the oldest NUC recruiter bill of goods there is. I did enlisted NUC power...after the pipeline, 4 years of sea duty where I qualified the senior enlisted watchstation in the engineroom.....

I got about 20 credits when I applied to Cornell.

melissanavy07

Competitiveness of NUPOC

How long is the application process for NUPOC? Is it very competitive or if you have a good GPA, and background it's pretty much guaranteed? I was also looking at CEC BDCP, because I was kicking around the idea of double majoring in an engineering field. If I do it will take me an extra semester to graduate. How competitive is CEC BDCP?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I don't mean this to be discouraging in any way...really...but what do you want to do??

I would sort this out first. You are asking about NUPOC and then CEC... What is it that appeals to you about the Navy? Why do you want to be a SWO? Why should the nation trust you with millions of dollars of equipment and sailors lives? Why do you want this trust?

The one thing that the two major pipelines I've been involved in have taught me...above any of the technical skills, is that you will not be successful in the military unless you are really doing something you love. This is even more true as an officer...the people who work for you will always be able to tell the difference between someone who is there for the __________ and someone who is there because there is no other job they would rather do.

Just some food for thought. It's great to join for all the programs, and for the travel, and the challenge etc....(insert your own "reason") but those can't be the only reasons. Good luck!

melissanavy07

I understand what you are saying scoober78. I was looking at technical fields in the Navy, either NUPOC or CEC. I have wanted to be in the military for a long time, so I really don't care which community I get into. I considered the Navy above the other branches because I am technically inclined, and I believe I could use my skills the best in the Navy. I just want to serve, any community is good for me, but I prefer something technical. I would have went enlisted, except I don't want to waste two years of sweat and hard work, then not even be able to be an officer in the future. Money isn't even an issue, I'm just exploring the best ways to get into the Navy.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...you will not be successful in the military unless you are really doing something you love. This is even more true as an officer...the people who work for you will always be able to tell the difference between someone who is there for the __________ and someone who is there because there is no other job they would rather do.
*Cough* *Cough* Bullsh!t! Hey, it's certainly much more enjoyable to be successful at something you love, but it sure isn't necessary. It's called professionalism.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
*Cough* *Cough* Bullsh!t! Hey, it's certainly much more enjoyable to be successful at something you love, but it sure isn't necessary. It's called professionalism.

Or just trudging along until you can't stand it any longer, eh Steve-o? ;) There's a difference between professionalism and poor career choices. One might wonder what the outcome would have been if a certain someone had stuck with aviation.

Brett