• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted Nuke or NUPOC?

melissanavy07

I'm a junior in college with a Mathematics major, 3.2 GPA. Would it be better to enlist into the Nuke program or to try for NUPOC? I have heard for the officer program, you have to fill out an application. Then the screening process is long and hard, after that the VIP tour, then the technical interviews. An enlisted recruiter told me, if I enlist then they send me to Nuke school in SC for two years. Then after that I will be very close to having a degree in nuclear engineering. After I get my degree in Nuclear Engineering I can be selected to become an officer. How true is this? I don't want to enlist and go through nuke school for two years, then not be able to become an officer. How long do you have to wait after you get you Nuclear Engineering degree to be able to become a officer? Is the process much harder then just applying to NUPOC? Is the recruiter just trying to get me to enlist, but the chances of actually becoming a Nuclear officer after the degree are slim? Any answers would be appreciated I have to go to MEPS next week. I don't want to commit to anything without as much information as possible.

nugget81

pilot
If you could skip the enlistment and apply for NUPOC, why wouldn't you? Clearly the application process will take less than 2 years (the minimum time you'd spend enlisted, according to your information). I am not aware of the requirements to apply NUPOC, but if you meet them you should apply for the commission.

melissanavy07

A few things interested me about the enlisted side. First, they teach you all of the physics, math, and engineering classes from scratch. I haven't done physics in a few semesters, so I'm not sure how well I'd do on the Technical interviews. Secondly, I've finished all of my lower level GE college classes, so I'm at the actually Major work now. So if I could get most of my engineering classes from nuke school, then that'd be great. I would rather learn the classes in the Navy vs. sitting in college classes at my college for the next two years. My main question is, would it really be possible to go to the Nuke school for two years, then get a Nuclear Engineering degree? Then how feasible is it to become an officer. after I get the degree? I just want to make sure it is true, I don't want to be struck on the enlisted side. But if it is only for the purpose of training, then that is fine. However, if becoming an officer would be 3-5 years after the two years of training, then the program is not for me.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Is the recruiter just trying to get me to enlist, but the chances of actually becoming a Nuclear officer after the degree are slim?
Bingo....

The recruiter is trying to make his quota. While I won't say he is lying to you, he is not telling you even a fraction of the truth.

Enlisted nuc power school is tough. It will NOT give you a Nuclear Engineering degree. It MAY get you credit towards some classes but that depends on the university you eventually get the degree from.

You will not become an officer without a 4 year degree. There are many enlisted guys in the Navy that get a degree and subsequently apply for OCS, more are rejected than are selected. To be competetive for selection from the active duty enlisted ranks is tough. You will have to complete A school (nuc power school), get to a ship, earn all your qualifications and have a history of sustained superior performance as documented by your evaluations. You are talking a minimum of 4 or 5 years. Probably longer.

DO NOT go this route unless you would be happy to spend 4 to 6 years as an enlisted man with a marginal chance at eventually getting commisioned. Just getting your degree does not mean you will get selected for an officer program.

If you want to be an officer, apply for NUPOC. It might be a long and difficult process, but you will either be selected or you will be a civilian. You won't be stuck being enlisted when you want to be an officer.

Talk to an Officer Recruiter, not an enlisted recruiter. Go to http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/ and select the NRD closest to you from the pull down menu. On the NRD's website, find the link for Officer Programs and there should be an Officer Recruiter point of contact listed.

melissanavy07

Another thought is I'm 17, and a college junior. Would it be better to commission at 19 vs. 22? If I commission in my twenties, then I'll have completed my training and have a little bit of experience.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another thought is I'm 17, and a college junior. Would it be better to commission at 19 vs. 22? If I commission in my twenties, then I'll have completed my training and have a little bit of experience.

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

zachary2777

Banned
Hi I don't post really at all, just read but I just wanted to share this. I met a guy on my 2/C cruise who graduated with a 2.8 GPA. The recruiter basically told him if he wanted to become an officer he should enlist, then apply for OCS. Well 4 years later he still hadn't finished that application... you get the idea. Applying can't be such a pain in the ass that'd it'd be harder than enlisting, then applying.

I met several enlisted nukes with degrees or even masters in various subjects. Some smart guys down there... I was impressed.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If your mature enough to get a 4 year college degree and accepted to NUPOC, you're mature enought to be commissioned. Don't let the age thing scare you. Further, after you commission, you still have a couple of years of Navy Nuclear Power school to go to as an officer before you will be in any leadership position.

I met several enlisted nukes with degrees or even masters in various subjects. Some smart guys down there... I was impressed.
And melissanavy07 will be competing against everyone of them for a very limited number of OCS billets. If you enlist, it is more likely you will never be an officer than it is that you will become one.

If you want to be an officer, apply to an officer program. If you want to be enlisted, enlist with the recruiter. It's as simple as that.

gte544j

As a former instructor at the Navy Nuclear Power school, I STRONGLY suggest you listen to what HAL Pilot is tellling you. Several of my enlisted students were juniors, seniors, or even college graduates when they enlisted. In every single instance, it was a case of an excellent candidate for a commission being terribly misserved and misinformed by their recruiter. The chances of commissioning as an enlisted nuke are high compared to other enlisted communities, but the chances are still EXTREMELY slim. I cannot overemphasize my recommendation that if Navy Nuclear Power is something you're interested in, then apply for NUPOC. It is an awesome deal, and it's not as hard to get accepted as you might think. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT enlist with the hopes of being commissioned after a short stint in the enlisted community. You will be making the same mistake MANY have made before you. Please, if you have any questions, let me know. I'll be glad to give you the real gouge.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I have heard for the officer program, you have to fill out an application. Then the screening process is long and hard, after that the VIP tour, then the technical interviews.

The screening process is not long and hard, it just takes some waiting. They look at your transcripts, if you have a 3.0 in an engineering/science major, you can get a warm fuzzy about screening. I've seen people with 2.8 in Comp sci get selected, so it's not impossible. The VIP trip is pretty fun, and once you get to the interviews, the job is yours to lose.

Also, ALL NUKE OFFICERS do the technical interviews (regardless if you're off the street, or prior enlisted), then do the toy soldier walk as they enter the Admirals office saying "Admiral, I am Mr/Ms/MDN XXXX...I am from XXXX... I attended..." You get the idea.

It sounds like the recruiter is implying you can skip some stuff if you enlist, which isn't the case. Brush up on your physics on your own prior to the interview, you should be fine.

As for being a 17 year old junior in college, I think there's a minimum age to comission...forgot what it is.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Melissa,

I am going to introduce you to a Navy Surface Warfare Officer term.

"ALL STOP!!"

Stop talking to this enlisted recruiter now. I mean it; do not call him back or answer his phone calls.

You need to be speaking with an Officer recruiter.

Don't go to MEPS yet, Don't go to his office, don't sign anything!!

The NUPOC program will make you an officer and pay you 1 $15,000 bonus and over $3,000 a month till you go to OCS after graduation.

If you can get a college 3.2 in Math and you have the required Calc and Calc based physics, you have the talent to excel at Nuclear Power School. Don't sell yourself short.

If you cannot find the officer recruiter in your area, call me and I will find him for you.

In fact I will PM you with my number; you need to talk to me.

Regards,

Lt Mitchell

mike172

GO NAVY
Question. I am confused about what NUPOC is and all this talk about being a "Nuke" eaither surface or sub. I know there are "nuke" surface and sub officers, is this different then say a "SWO", or whatever a sub officer is called?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Question. I am confused about what NUPOC is and all this talk about being a "Nuke" eaither surface or sub. I know there are "nuke" surface and sub officers, is this different then say a "SWO", or whatever a sub officer is called?
NUPOC is a commissioning program for an officer that specializes in nuclear propulsion plants. The Nuke can either be a surface or submarine officer.

Surface = SWO or Surface Warfare Officer = "Shoe" or "Black Shoe"

Submarine = Submariner = Bubblehead (but is also considered a form of "Shoe" by most Aviators.

Nuke is either Nuke SWO or Nuke Bubblehead

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick

NUPOC is Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate.

There are conventional SWOs, and there are Nuke SWOs. Nuke SWOs complete a conventional SWO tour before going to the Nuclear pipeline, then go on to a carrier's reactor department.

All sub officers are nukes. There are no "non nuke" sub guys, unless you count the Supply officer on board, but then, he's supply, not sub.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
NUPOC stands for Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate Program. It is a program designed to recruit talent to become nuclear trained officers. There are four areas a Nuke can go into Subs, Surface (aircraft carriers), Nuclear Power school instructor, Naval Reactors Engineer ( a very small community of exceptional engineers who are responsible for R&D and quality control for all things nuclear.