• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enjoy NFO??

Status
Not open for further replies.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe a recent selectee will give you his experience. In the last year it has taken some guys over 2 months. I think it is safe to say you will hear nothing for at least 3 weeks.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd do it all over again....1st flight Jul 85, last flew May 2002. Leaving shore duty in a month....165 MOF and counting....

"Fo-Daddy"

r/
G

Hitex

Sounds like you had a good time. =). Would you happen to know what wearing glasses does to your chances of being an NFO in a f-14/18? I'd rather shoot for one of the faster platforms as would pretty much anyone else, lol.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hitex said:
Sounds like you had a good time. =). Would you happen to know what wearing glasses does to your chances of being an NFO in a f-14/18? I'd rather shoot for one of the faster platforms as would pretty much anyone else, lol.

Wearing glasses makes no difference. You are qualified to become a NFO with glasses so you are eligible to fly anything in the Navy wearing those glasses, as long as you perform adequately and the Navy has a slot they need to fill in the airplane you want to fly. Now, if you ask what your chances are of flying F-18s I'll come through that monitor and rip your heart out. :icon_rage

Hitex

#1, I have no heart. You can go to my last gf a get it if you so desire :D . All I wanted to know is that I wasn't out of the game before it started.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hitex said:
#1, I have no heart. You can go to my last gf a get it if you so desire :D .

Your best qualifier for Naval Aviation.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hitex said:

When I went through there was a limit for SNFO's on haow bad your eyes were. The only reason I know is that I was right at the limit when I had my NAMI flight physical in Pensacola ( I have really bad eyes). If you can read the top letter on the eye chart I would not worry about it at all (and yes, it does come in different letters), the limit was about twice that bad :eek: . It is pretty high and 99% of people wearing glasses won't come close. After you are winged there is no limit.

Hitex

My prescription isn't heavy at all, I just didn't know if they had some "restriction" because of the o2 mask and flight equipment that a pilot/NFO wears in the f-14/18.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Yeah, the O2 mask sucks when you're wearing glasses...big time. Do yourself a favor and get contacts if you don't already have them. Your flight surgeon can clear you to wear them, and (here's the best part...) after you get winged they're paid for by the Navy (or so the clinic tells me).

Oh yeah, and as a former SWO who lat. transferred, I can tell you that you made the right decision. I get depressed just thinking about what it was like being a SWO.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
VetteMuscle427 said:
I wish I could give you rep points for that....

I got your back, brudda...

Hitex said:
My prescription isn't heavy at all, I just didn't know if they had some "restriction" because of the o2 mask and flight equipment that a pilot/NFO wears in the f-14/18

Only thing I've heard is that some guys who wear glasses and can't wear contacts have trouble in ACM flights because they can't get any peripheral vision turning around... so they hafta wear freaky aviator glasses that extend all the way around... I dunno...

Bandit79

A little off topic and it has probably been asked before but if you get selected for NFO, can you possibly get a transfer to Pilot?

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Rule of thumb my friend....Don't EVER ask that question once you get down to Pcola. Yes, you can if you are in the top 10% of API but the best way to shoot yourself in the foot is to walk into primary saying, "well, I really wanted to be a pilot". It won't go over well. So, the short answer is yes, you can. You can get transitioned both in the fleet and in flight school. It is difficult but possible. Just don't bring it up once you get to primary. Some of the IPs get a little touchy about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.