• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enjoy NFO??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitex

Hey Guys how's it going?? I was just curious if you guys enjoyed being NFO's. I was originally going in as a SWO but my recruiter I'd also make NFO. Any input to help my mind swing in a direction??

Hitex

Being on a boat sounds interesting but so does flying. Basically what I'm asking is if NFO is interesting. I don't know any NFO's to ask and am curious how they like it.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I am a pilot, so I can't speak to the specifics of being a FO, but I can say without a doubt in my mind, that being in a sqd and going flying even on the worst day beats the hell out of being a SWO. Never would I give someone the advice of going SWO, got a friend who is IN port now after getting back from deployment, he is still working 18hr days (yes he is an officer).

I will say though that early on there are more leadership opportunities as a SWO vice an aviator.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hitex said:
Being on a boat sounds interesting but so does flying. Basically what I'm asking is if NFO is interesting. I don't know any NFO's to ask and am curious how they like it.

I am an NFO who had the fortune of flying for 8 straight years, and miss it every day as I sit in my cubicle in the sterile basement of where I work now....So to answer your question, I love being an NFO. Just because I don't have the stick in my hands doesn't mean it is not a blast flying. How many other people can say they have flown through mountain valleys at 200-500 feet at 500 miles an hour? Or have flown missions against target countries while getting to see the 'enemy' face to face at 100 feet? I got to learn everything about flying that a pilot does, even the basics of stick and rudder work at the beginning of flight school. You are an equal member of the team in the cockpit (that is the real name for a flight station for you VPer's.)

So in a word, it is a great job that is immensely satisfying and a hell of a lot of fun.

TransvestFO

Seven years of college, down the drain.
You are an equal member of the team in the cockpit (that is the real name for a flight station for you VPer's.)

OUCH! Stop the madness.

I totally agree with Flash. Having been an NFO and a Pilot, I can say that they are both equally amazing (in different ways). I couldn't say what it is like to be a SWO, but I have heard more positives about aviation than I have about surface warfare. I recommend aviation to anyone who asks.

Hitex

Well, I thank everyone for their advice. I chose to go the NFO route. Looks like it can be pretty exciting at times. That's something I'm looking for. Thanks again fellas! :)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Much has all been said and it appears you have made your decision. Can't agree more. I can offer the perspective of an old guy that has gone from TACAIR NFO to staff officer for a four star, active and reserve. It is rewarding and challenging. All the career potential is there. You will have fun if fortunate enought to be selected and earn your wings. Good Luck!

Hitex

supposedly my package is going out today...I hear they're really hurting for NFO's right now. Bit odd huh? Hopefully they're hurting enough to get me in =).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Depends on the year. They aren't "hurting" for NFO in the sense that there is any chance the Navy won't make goal. They simply have reliably open quotas where pilot has nearly filled up and they are over manned with designated SNAs just sitting around waiting for API. But I am splitting hairs on your meaning. Good Luck to you. You would find NFO rewarding and a blast to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.