• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Energy Discussion

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
And if people knew how reliant we are on f*cking China for our grid components that were previously manufactured in the United States...
The noun, not the adjective.
:D

(But yeah, we outsourced so many things we even outsourced shooting ourselves in the foot.)

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
And if people knew how reliant we are on f*cking China for our grid components that were previously manufactured in the United States...

From Ian Bremmer’s G-Zero media yesterday:

China now controls more than 80 percent of the world's supply of something that surrounds you all day, every day. And, according to the Financial Times[paywall], Beijing is threatening to cut the supply of that thing to the US. What are we talking about? Rare earths metals.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Things are getting spicy out there! That's the settled price, $944/dth for NG at Oneok, it traded as high as $993.75.

Sonog

pilot
From Ian Bremmer’s G-Zero media yesterday:

China now controls more than 80 percent of the world's supply of something that surrounds you all day, every day. And, according to the Financial Times[paywall], Beijing is threatening to cut the supply of that thing to the US. What are we talking about? Rare earths metals.

Asteroids, here we come. Elon, get building.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Asteroids, here we come. Elon, get building.
The honest answer is we need to do a better job of recycling - and I’m not talking about individual people putting cans and bottles in the trash. Huge machines to go back through our biggest landfills to ‘mine’ for molecules of interest. You’d find tons of gold, silver, copper, lead, nickel, and of course rare earth elements.

taxi1

pilot
Google on rare earth minerals and ocean floor. A whole new industry is getting ready to fire up.

taxi1

pilot
But that's where the hybrid underwater-aerospace craft (huac) are!!1!!1!?! ?
One of my favorite books as a kid. Tom Swift was badass.

51h8izsc9ZL.jpg

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor

It just so happens that China has a near-monopoly on the business of refining these metals for use in manufacturing
Rare earth elements are not that rare, but they are very environmentally messy to refine which is why the U.S. handed that off to China which has little to no environmental regulation and low labor costs.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot