• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Energy Discussion

taxi1

pilot
It’s all about energy storage. Batteries, flywheels, superconducting storage, pumped hydro, Hydrogen, or whatever new technology we come up with.

ARPA-E is the energy analog to DARPA, and they fund work in this world. Some cool technologies considered.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
It’s all about energy storage. Batteries, flywheels, superconducting storage, pumped hydro, Hydrogen, or whatever new technology we come up with.

ARPA-E is the energy analog to DARPA, and they fund work in this world. Some cool technologies considered.

Saw this the other day which looks promising:

Startup Claims Breakthrough in Long-Duration Batteries
Form Energy’s iron-air batteries could have big ramifications for storing electricity on the power grid

Meanwhile in pipeline news, after Keystone in North America was cancelled, looks like all objections to Nord Stream 2 have been dropped. Pipeline in US bad for environment, pipeline outside of US good ?

America’s Acceptance Of Nord Stream 2 Will Redefine Europe

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
America’s Acceptance Of Nord Stream 2 Will Redefine Europe

It was an acceptance of the unfortunate inevitable, as it was already happening even with the sanctions in place. The Germans want their gas and they are going to get it, because ze Germans, at least in this case we got a little something instead of nothing in return.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
If proven, it could place Namibia in the top 20 oil producing countries and all the majors are moving in that direction

I saw that LNG is trading above $34 in Asia - almost 8x what it is here in the US ($4.60). Any thoughts on the natural gas market: here, Europe and Asia?

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I saw that LNG is trading above $34 in Asia - almost 8x what it is here in the US ($4.60). Any thoughts on the natural gas market: here, Europe and Asia?

Perfect storm of demand coming back strong (LNG demand in Asia) following the pandemic in 2020 and production unable to meet demand. Also, US storage inventories are below last years levels and the 5yr avg which only increases demand as people are looking to fill storage before the start of the Winter withdraw season (Nov. 1st). There is even speculation that there could be a hedge fund fanning the flames of the rise in prices.

Example of that Asian demand, here is a chart comparing 2020 and 2021 LNG exports from the US. 2021 has surpassed 2020 and the 2016-2020 avg.

NYMEX has double this year, nat gas prices in the UK have tripled. I'd expect higher utility bills this Winter for those with gas.

Notanaviator

Contributor
Henry Hub is north of $6, and the Gulf Coast LNG terminals that were and are being built for exactly this are salivating. Pretty good business to be able to transport domestic gas to Europe and Asia, and good to be able to spur further domestic natural gas development. It does not, however, bode well for winter heating costs, so apologies there.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Speaking of energy, just in time for the green summit in Glasgow.

COP26 aims to banish coal. Asia is building hundreds of power plants to burn it

The Udangudi plant is one of nearly 200 coal-fired power stations under construction in Asia, including 95 in China, 28 in India and 23 in Indonesia, according to data from U.S. nonprofit Global Energy Monitor (GEM).

This year, coal demand is set for a new record, driving prices to all-time highs and contributing to a worldwide scramble for fuel.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Great. So we make coal cheap by reducing demand. We make energy harder to come by and costlier in the countries adopting a coal ban. We pat ourselves on the back and stroke our egos thinking it has helped the environment. But China, Russia, India, etc. don’t play ball and they just burn it anyways in their countries - at a cheaper price to them.

I haven’t said it before but I’m sure I’ll say it again: The best energy sources you can use are the ones you natively have access to in plentiful amounts.

taxi1

pilot
But China, Russia, India, etc. don’t play ball and they just burn it anyways in their countries
I understand they have to provide for their people, but meanwhile we're on track to miss temperature goals for the planet by significant margins.

We really need a technology to get the energy out of coal without letting the carbon loose.

I predict that 2050 and on is going to be a shitshow for Earth, unfortunately. At least a decent chance.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I understand they have to provide for their people, but meanwhile we're on track to miss temperature goals for the planet by significant margins.

We really need a technology to get the energy out of coal without letting the carbon loose.

I predict that 2050 and on is going to be a shitshow for Earth, unfortunately. At least a decent chance.
We can’t make models accurate enough to predict temperatures but we have “temperature goals” to miss.