• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Energy Discussion

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Great listen, thanks. Actually, it’s study material for me as I have an interview this week with a hydrogen aviation startup!!!
If they can get hydrogen to effectively power my helicopter give me a call! 100LL is getting phased out and is expensive in any case.

number9

Contributor
Yes, but the LNG was coming in from the Caribbean this time (Trinidad & Tobago).

The issue with domestic production, and I read @Flash's comments above, although it does take years to complete a pipeline or expand production, it's the messaging that is being sent. The message is clear; new leases or permits will not be approved. Although there are existing permits that are approved, doesn't mean all those permits are able to produce anything.
This WaPo article (from back in January) suggests that leases are being approved at a rapid pace, though it doesn't seem to specify if they're new applications or old ones.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If they can get hydrogen to effectively power my helicopter give me a call! 100LL is getting phased out and is expensive in any case.

Years ago there was a guy that converted his Grumman Tiger to hydrogen. Those engines are 0360-AK series of engines. He had it based out of KSPG for a while. I can't find a link in a cursory Google search, but maybe there's hope for you yet...

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Years ago there was a guy that converted his Grumman Tiger to hydrogen. Those engines are 0360-AK series of engines. He had it based out of KSPG for a while. I can't find a link in a cursory Google search, but maybe there's hope for you yet...
Interesting. Where did he get the hydrogen? How much per gallon equivalent did he pay?

I’m skeptical about Hydrogen. It’s expensive to transport and store, and production is a byproduct of petroleum extraction, requiring capture and refining- very energy intensive. I think Hydrogen a long way from widespread adoption.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
Interesting. Where did he get the hydrogen? How much per gallon equivalent did he pay?

I’m skeptical about Hydrogen. It’s expensive to transport and store, and production is a byproduct of petroleum extraction, requiring capture and refining- very energy intensive. I think Hydrogen a long way from widespread adoption.
That’s true today. But on the horizon, at scale, is “green hydrogen” made by electrolysis and powered by renewables: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/12/what-is-green-hydrogen-expert-explains-benefits/

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Coupled with the fact that many folks remain ignorant that oil prices are determined by the international market, we ain't going to drill our way out of gas prices and Russia will likely find a market for its oil anyways kind of makes much of debate on this flawed from the start.
It is an open question if the Russian oil headed to Europe could make it to other markets, compounded by the concern that all of Russian oil may suffer production losses without Western expertise to operate the oil industry.

As for oil being a global market, we have had this debate for years. I think the minority opinion is accurate, that if oil goes high enough to cause a depression in the US, the President has the authority under a 2015 law to suspend oil exports with a time lag on how quickly US refineries could switch to running on light, sweet shale oil vs heavy, sour crude.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As for oil being a global market, we have had this debate for years. I think the minority opinion is accurate, that if oil goes high enough to cause a depression in the US, the President has the authority under a 2015 law to suspend oil exports with a time lag on how quickly US refineries could switch to running on light, sweet shale oil vs heavy, sour crude.

What does that do for us? Because it would still do NOTHING for the price of oil and the resultant prices we pay at the pump.

sevenhelmet

pilot
That’s true today. But on the horizon, at scale, is “green hydrogen” made by electrolysis and powered by renewables: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/12/what-is-green-hydrogen-expert-explains-benefits/

It's a grand idea, but it's going to need infrastructure investment in the trillions in order to come to pass. Plus, you lose a lot of that renewable electricity in the conversion process. For best efficiency, you have to cut out the "middleman". Electrification of transport is quicker and more efficient from where we are now. Hydrogen vehicles may find their niche, but I don't think we'll end up converting wholesale anytime soon.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
It's a grand idea, but it's going to need infrastructure investment in the trillions in order to come to pass. Plus, you lose a lot of that renewable electricity in the conversion process. For best efficiency, you have to cut out the "middleman". Electrification of transport is quicker and more efficient from where we are now. Hydrogen vehicles may find their niche, but I don't think we'll end up converting wholesale anytime soon.
Yes, and. The companies (and countries) working on this are thinking in 5, 10, 20, and 30 year timelines. Not for the faint of heart or for those who want to see profitability next quarter.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I wish I knew more. I tried Googling some more but unfortunately Google has a short memory, even with the time tool. Most of the internet seems to think the first hydrogen plane flight was 2020. I think I may have found the guy's name, William H. Conrad, but haven't really been able to figure out more.

The plane may have actually been a AA-5A (Cheetah), but I can't confirm. It was definitely not an AG-5B, but an earlier Gulfstream version. I'll have to do some more digging.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

sevenhelmet

pilot
Houthis again. Backed by you-know-who. I am sure CENTCOM is all over "deterrence".

:rolleyes:

Oh, well. Middle East is gonna Middle East.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Great listen, thanks. Actually, it’s study material for me as I have an interview this week with a hydrogen aviation startup!!!
Another very good interview by Ezra Klein in the NYT, this time with economist Larry Summers. Inflation is not “transitory”, and is only going to get worse.