• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Energy Discussion

exNavyOffRec

We’re looking at it. Makes a lot of sense.

The big challenge is out west. But even in the East, there used to be quite a bit of freight moved that way, but now only passenger is electric. Diesel was just so cheap and easy, and who cared about carbon?

An in-between idea is to have sections of track with the catenaries (overhead wires) to charge the batteries, or to help in sections requiring “full grunt”.

One interesting thing is essentially they are all electric right now. The diesels turn generators that turn motors on the wheels. They brake by running the motors as generators, and heating up a big bank of resistors. Where the batteries rock is in capturing that braking energy instead of creating waste heat.

I could see the west being a challenge, I live next to a major east-west route and several time a years branches fall that could take out electrical lines.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I could see the west being a challenge, I live next to a major east-west route and several time a years branches fall that could take out electrical lines.
This is common for all utilities.
They usually spent a large amount of time/money on vegetation management, pruning and cutting back trees and anything that could pose a risk to infrastructure. People complain all the time, but a hacked up tree is better than losing power for a few days in a storm.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
They usually spent a large amount of time/money on vegetation management, pruning and cutting back trees and anything that could pose a risk to infrastructure. People complain all the time, but a hacked up tree is better than losing power for a few days in a storm.
Please, they spend time and money trimming anything that has already cost them time and money. They don't give a rats Asz about what might cost them. I know from my property alone, we have spent too many a day in the cold because of trees!

ABMD

Please, they spend time and money trimming anything that has already cost them time and money. They don't give a rats Asz about what might cost them. I know from my property alone, we have spent too many a day in the cold because of trees!
Not all utilities are the same, see PG&E. Some state/local utility commissions are more critical of outage metrics than others.

exNavyOffRec

Most power lines around me are underground, if we lose power locally it often due to raccoon, or other animal in the substation, we do have some not underground and have lost power due to drunk drivers hitting a power pole (same pole hit twice in two weeks by two drunk drivers), or tree falling. The tracks near me they do trim branches back but I still see where branches or trees have fallen on them, you would have to have to clear a hundred feet or so from each side of the tracks to keep that from happening. The areas of higher risk should be easy to identify though.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
We’re looking at it. Makes a lot of sense.

The big challenge is out west. But even in the East, there used to be quite a bit of freight moved that way, but now only passenger is electric. Diesel was just so cheap and easy, and who cared about carbon?

An in-between idea is to have sections of track with the catenaries (overhead wires) to charge the batteries, or to help in sections requiring “full grunt”.

One interesting thing is essentially they are all electric right now. The diesels turn generators that turn motors on the wheels. They brake by running the motors as generators, and heating up a big bank of resistors. Where the batteries rock is in capturing that braking energy instead of creating waste heat.

How bad are the transmission losses? It is my understanding that one of the limitations of wind energy in the Midwest is getting the electricity to where it is needed efficiently.

Hybridizing trains to recapture braking energy makes a LOT of sense. I’m sort of amazed that hasn’t happened already. Hydrogen as a fuel for trains does not make sense, at least not in our current economy. It will end up being dirtier than existing diesel platforms.
I have reservations about the cost effectiveness of hybrid systems for long haul trains. This isn’t the stop and go of city traffic but rather mile after hundreds of miles and then stopping on occasions. I don’t think the expense of batteries or capacitors large enough would be worth it.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

I’m kind of bullish on Fusion. Seemed like a pipe dream 20 years ago but I think it’ll be a player in the coming years. If we get that then we’re just stuck with figuring out how to get materials for batteries without funding child labor in Africa. Still need oil and gas for a bit but “peak oil” is probably close or already passed.

Natural gas is another thing entirely. I’m in a northern climate and alternatives for heating, namely air source heat pumps, are still pretty uncommon. Got a remodel coming up hopefully and weighing the options on that

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I’m kind of bullish on Fusion. Seemed like a pipe dream 20 years ago but I think it’ll be a player in the coming years. If we get that then we’re just stuck with figuring out how to get materials for batteries without funding child labor in Africa. Still need oil and gas for a bit but “peak oil” is probably close or already passed.

Natural gas is another thing entirely. I’m in a northern climate and alternatives for heating, namely air source heat pumps, are still pretty uncommon. Got a remodel coming up hopefully and weighing the options on that
I'm with you on fusion. I suspect that the aviation and maritime shipping sectors are going to be the most challenging to transition out of fossil fuels. I know there are a few electric airplanes out there, but I think we're a long way from high speed, long haul alternative to jets. Any good ideas/ S&T out there for how to power a cargo ship w/o fossil fuels?

ABMD

I'm with you on fusion. I suspect that the aviation and maritime shipping sectors are going to be the most challenging to transition out of fossil fuels. I know there are a few electric airplanes out there, but I think we're a long way from high speed, long haul alternative to jets. Any good ideas/ S&T out there for how to power a cargo ship w/o fossil fuels?
That guy I mentioned I listened to last week also mention Hydrogen fueled aircraft in the future…

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
That guy I mentioned I listened to last week also mention Hydrogen fueled aircraft in the future…
I'd love to know how they solve affordable storage and logistics (both getting it to the airport and putting it on the airplane). It makes a pretty great rocket fuel, but the economics for those is a little different.

In general I don't like to poo-poo new technology, not outright anyway. That includes some pie in the sky stuff because I like the idea that people are trying new things and trying to solve problems. There are some things that leave me scratching my head though.

taxi1

pilot
I have reservations about the cost effectiveness of hybrid systems for long haul trains. This isn’t the stop and go of city traffic but rather mile after hundreds of miles and then stopping on occasions. I don’t think the expense of batteries or capacitors large enough would be worth it.
A bit surprising, but it’s still helpful.

The most efficient energy-wise speed to move goods is just about as slow as possible, but things have to get there, so there ends up being a time constraint.

Within that time constraint, you want to move goods at as constant of a speed as possible over the route to keep aero drag (dependent on speed) low. All the tracks, even out west, have ups and downs (1% grade being considered steep) and they have varying speed restrictions going into curves and towns, etc. There are single track segments where the train has to stop to deconflict with oncoming traffic. Every one of those decels and down grades offer energy to be grabbed and reused. It adds up to quite a lot getting lost right now.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
A bit surprising, but it’s still helpful.

The most efficient energy-wise speed to move goods is just about as slow as possible, but things have to get there, so there ends up being a time constraint.

Within that time constraint, you want to move goods at as constant of a speed as possible over the route to keep aero drag (dependent on speed) low. All the tracks, even out west, have ups and downs (1% grade being considered steep) and they have varying speed restrictions going into curves and towns, etc. There are single track segments where the train has to stop to deconflict with oncoming traffic. Every one of those decels and down grades offer energy to be grabbed and reused. It adds up to quite a lot getting lost right now.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I wouldn’t have figured the gain in efficiency would be greater than the expense and complexity of the batteries.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

A small fusion reactor with diesel as a backup could be possible. Similar to Sailing ships side mounted paddlewheels like we saw in the 19th century.