• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Embry Riddle

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjettaf

BLACK SHOES
TECHGURU,
I will be attending ERAU this fall too. I went last week and toured the university and met with the NROTC unit. It is a new unit, but they are doing well in a predominantly Air Force ROTC university. Have you scheduled a campus visit?
-CJF

TechGuru

cjettaf said:
TECHGURU,
I will be attending ERAU this fall too. I went last week and toured the university and met with the NROTC unit. It is a new unit, but they are doing well in a predominantly Air Force ROTC university. Have you scheduled a campus visit?
-CJF

I was able to visit the university before I was accepted last december and it left a good impression on me. Unfortunetly, it didn't come to me at that time to look into their NROTC program. But I will most likely join it once I go there this fall. BTW could you please tel me more about their NROTC thanks.
Tech

cjettaf

BLACK SHOES
TechGuru,
The unit is comprised of about 60 students now, not a bad size for only being there one full semester. It appears there is quite a bit of competition between the ROTC units there. Air Force outnumbers everyone else by far, but ERAU produces many Naval Aviators and there is a very large Naval Aviators Club there, so I predict their numbers will increase largely over the next few years. I guess I will see you there during Fall orientation! Good luck!
-CJF

jdnew

Yea, I go to Riddle myself. One of the reasons I decided to go here was the amount of people the navy select for flight slots out of here. Riddle boasts more naval aviators come out of here than any other college other than the naval academy. And that was before they even had NROTC. The flight training here is second to none. I have many friends that got there certificates off campus and they don't know near as much about stuff as the people that fly hear. And I've noticed that the pilots here have more confidence in their abilities. Now, is that worth $120 dollars an hour and another $45 for an instructor? Maybe, maybe not. I guess it all depends on you. I went to a large state school for three years before I came here. I had an absolute blast there and got all my core classes out of the way. And the entire amount I spent there dosen't even add up to one year here at Riddle. I personally think that the student life here sucks and everyone is walking around here way to serious. And if you are looking to meet a lot of good looking girls at college, you can hang that up. Cuz the girls here aren't that great (both of them). If you are looking to go to college in order to have a really good time and fly on the side, you should not come to Riddle. That being said my GPA here is a 3.7 when at Arkansas it was only a 3.0. So, I guess all the seriousness can help you with your grades. What I am trying to say here is that Riddle has some very good points and some very bad points. It all depends on what you want. If I had it to do all over again, I probably wouldn't change anything. I would go to a state school for a year or two get all the basics out of the way and have a good time. Cuz lets face it after hight school we all want to go out and get a little wild. And then come down here when you have got it out of your system and are ready to get serious. Or you can do like some of the other folks have said and just start out going to a school like Purdue or Auburn that have flight programs. Well, thats just my advice many folks may disagree. To quote "the Oracle" "You'll just have to make up your own damn mind."

TechGuru

Thanks for the replies both of you. Also sorry for the slow response. I haven't been able to check various forums etc..l because my computer is in for repairs. It has been 2 weeks so far and I just got it back but unfortunetly I had to bring it back because best buy didn't fix the problem. Right now I am typing this on a friends computer.

I changed my major but I am still going to Embry-Rddle though. I thought a lot about it and found that I am very interested in Embry-Riddle's aerospace engineering program. I am in a dual enrollment program so I will be done with all my basic classes this summer term a so i can get right into the major specific courses. One thing I am worried about is to be a pilot, you have to have correct anthro measurements, and since I am close to the edge(6'3") my anthro measurements might be to long.

I would probably be able to fly helo but might not go to flight school if I straight out wouldn't be able to even have a chance for a jet or prop. Because if I have a chance and blew it for a jet slot I would of least know it was my fault that I couldn't get a jet sot. But height, unfortunetly, is something I can't control.

So as a back-up, I would go EOD. I just hope my anthro measurements are not to long, but we'll see when I get up there. because I really would like to be able to have a chance to try and make it to a jet or prop.

Bliz

Hey guys, I also am currently at Riddle. For those of you guys thinking of choosing AE over AS for various reasons, yes it is probably cheaper... but in no way is it easier. I have buddies in AE who basically say that us pilots major in Playstation. Because that's what we're doing when they're doing their multivariable calculus shenanigans. I finished my ppl here last January and already 5 activities into my Instrument. It may be more expensive, but from talking to other people who got their training off campus I find that Riddle pilots know more and are generally better trained. Not to say everyone here is great and top notch, there are always bad apples. I'm just saying that from what I've seen I think the average pilot is better.

Hope that helps a bit. And YES you can get sick of Daytona. I wont even go beachside during this time of year unless I feel like sitting in traffic for 3 hours.

If you have any other questions you can hit up our ERAU discussion board at www.er7600.com

josejimmenez

Selected for SNFO
I'm sorry fellas but I gotta contest that "second to none" thing. The training here at Florida Tech is Top noch,,, besides we recently had an influx of often bikini clad beauties (thank God for marine bio and psychology!) from everywhere like Jamaica, South America and the good old U.S.of A. !!! So whats the ratio there these days? Like 12 to One was it? :D

TechGuru

But the Daytona Embry-Riddle is the best school for Aerospace engineering though...even better than the Air Force Academy. I am really looking forward to the Aerospace Engineering program. Anyone here go embry and have that major?

josejimmenez

Selected for SNFO
By the way for those of you who are worried about no NROTC here dont forget there are programs like BDCP and PLC. Also we have several professors who are ex Naval Aviators and they ar Sh*t hot at what they do!

jdnew

Ah... F.I.T. Two incidents I remember hearing about. A Riddle plane and a Tech plane were in a collision at Ormond (on the ground). In the offical report the student in the Tech plane said, and I quote, "I was sitting there with the parking brake on and the Riddle plane backed into me." Love that new reverse feature on the 172s. Of coursed what happened was that it was dusk and he didn't have the parking brake on securly and it appeared to him that the riddle plane was backing up. Oh, and who could forget the time that Tech plane took off on the taxi way up there. Ah... good times. But jose is right Tech is a really good school. Their instructors are some of the best. I just couldn't resist telling those two stories.

josejimmenez

Selected for SNFO
Hey you forgot the story of the "precision landing" several years back. One of our guys did an extremely close formation landing at an uncontrolled field (i.e. he landed on top of a cesna at 400 ft on final and got stuck, both planes made a controlled landing stuck together). Although our guy was cleared of the accident since the guy in the low wing wasn't making his call outs. Any way there is a great picture of it on www.collegehumor.com

josejimmenez

Selected for SNFO
At Florida Tech or at Riddle? From what I hear from my cohorts the Aviation Management here at Tech is really good. Also we have a very strong School of Aero alumni association. Most guys get picked up some where with in a year of being graduated.

RXSilver

josejimmenez said:
At Florida Tech or at Riddle? From what I hear from my cohorts the Aviation Management here at Tech is really good. Also we have a very strong School of Aero alumni association. Most guys get picked up some where with in a year of being graduated.

at riddle. also, what about the aerospace studies program?

jfk

embry riddle's student population is composed of 85% males.
daytona is a great place though. i wish i was that close to the beach now...

Status
Not open for further replies.