• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eating before the PRT

USFpilot06

pilot
Hey anyone have any good ideas of what to eat the day before the PRT??? Besides beer and crackers...

GMan1976

Banned
Milk and more milk.. if anything it'd be a cool sight.

actually, I usually try to get some protein the night before and plenty of carbs a couple hours prior for energy. I'll have a snack about an hour before and then it's go time baby!

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Hydrate, Hydrate, HYDRATE! You should always be drinking water. There is no way to drink too much water. Its the thing most people underestimate. Remeber that your body needs water to digest foods (especially carbs) so keep on Hydrating!

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
One of the best PRTs I ever ran was done on a stomach full of gatorade and doritos. Results not guaranteed.

USFpilot06

pilot
Yea I heard jack and coke works well too...but I don't think I wanna find out. I tried pasta last tie he night before and odly enough I about puked my brains out the next morning... I have ran a million of these things but that damn chip trail is kicking my @$$!!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hydrate, Hydrate, HYDRATE! You should always be drinking water. There is no way to drink too much water. Its the thing most people underestimate. Remeber that your body needs water to digest foods (especially carbs) so keep on Hydrating!

Actually, you can take in too much water and mess up your body's balance, but most people don't. Best way to stay hydrated is to keep drinking in AM until you pass clear fluid and then back off a bit to keep it clear.

Here it is from a more authoritative source:

The flip side of dehydration is overhydration, or simply drinking too much water too quickly. When sodium is lost in sweat and water is drunk as a replacement fluid, the sodium remaining in the blood can be diluted. Hyponatremia, or low blood sodium, generally happens after drinking too much plain water (over a quart and a half per hour) over several hours. Slightly low levels of sodium are fairly common in distance runners, and usually go unnoticed. However, the sodium level may become profoundly low in overhydration, and cause problems throughout the body. Because fluid balance is intimately tied to sodium, hyponatremia can lead to damage of certain kinds of tissues in the body. Changes are most noticeable in the nervous system, where seizures, coma, and even death can result.

Recognizing overhydration is challenging because it may appear so much like exertional heat illnesses. Early symptoms are vague, and include confusion, nausea, fatigue, muscle cramps, and weakness. Worse cases can include vomiting, muscle twitching, delirium, seizures, and coma. Differentiation from heat stroke or heat exhaustion can be difficult, even for trained medics. The main point is that heat stroke, and frequently heat exhaustion, include a high temperature, whereas overhydration does not. The final diagnosis must be made at a medical facility, where appropriate treatment can occur.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
There is no way to drink too much water. /QUOTE]

Actually there is... You can actually get cramps from drinking just water. You need to be getting sodium and electrolytes with that water. Its probably not going to matter all that much either way in a mile and a half, but better safe than sorry. This applies more to longer races and triathlons.