• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2 Pilot and different communities

TyKing

pilot
Hey guys, I've been searching these forums for a while now. I'm trying get the details on naval avation, at least as much as I can from these forums. However, I find it hard to get a good point of view of what's it like being a VAW or E-2 pilot( or at least a more updated one). I understand the mission of the Aircraft, but I haven't found a good take on what's it like being a Pilot in that community. I believe I have a good understanding of the other communities, but VAW is hard to find a update insight on the community on the forum; especially from a Pilot.

I'm currently waiting for my results to see if I'm professional recommend for SNA right now. So I've been trying to get as much insight into the different communities of naval avation for Pilots. With that being said, any other community is welcome to add some insight on their perspective, pertaining to Pilot life in those communities such as VFA, VAQ, VAW, HSM, HSC, etc.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
What do VAW pilots and VFA pilots have in common? We both wanted to go VFA.

There. I said it.

That being said, I’m still happy where I ended up, for lots of reasons:

Pros:
1.) Shorter briefs (except Fallon)
2.) More flight time
3.) Shorter debriefs (except Fallon)
4.) Multi-engine time (for “the Show”)
5.) Not “fuel critical” right after takeoff
6.) No tanking (yet...)

Cons:
1.) Flying jets looks like fun

PM me for specific questions.

~VAW Pilot

TexasTools

None
I’ll give you my opinion as an E-2D NFO.

The days of bus driving are over. Without having to beat yourself into 18 hour days like a VFA guy, you can still be a critical node in E-2 mission execution. They typically get involved in mission areas including electronic warfare integration, and are the lynch pins in modern Air Defense. The specifics of that, however, are bit beyond the scope of the inter webs.

And I totally agree with wiseguy’s points. I was always jealous heading to yet another AIC debrief while our pilots got to bar. Then our squadron got ready to go to the boat for the first time and watched the pain train of FCLPs, CQ, and trying to land that fat girl on a pitching deck.

If you’re a decent dude, you’re gonna love whatever community you end up in. We’ve all got a job.

But being a fighter pilot would still be pretty cool I bet.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
I’ll give you my opinion as an E-2D NFO.

The days of bus driving are over. Without having to beat yourself into 18 hour days like a VFA guy, you can still be a critical node in E-2 mission execution. They typically get involved in mission areas including electronic warfare integration, and are the lynch pins in modern Air Defense. The specifics of that, however, are bit beyond the scope of the inter webs.

And I totally agree with wiseguy’s points. I was always jealous heading to yet another AIC debrief while our pilots got to bar. Then our squadron got ready to go to the boat for the first time and watched the pain train of FCLPs, CQ, and trying to land that fat girl on a pitching deck.

If you’re a decent dude, you’re gonna love whatever community you end up in. We’ve all got a job.

But being a fighter pilot would still be pretty cool I bet.

I will echo this. With the Delta transitioning happening, you are expected to delve into the tactics way more than any Charlie dude ever had to.
The mindset in the community is rapidly changing from the "bus driver" to the "tactical bus driver" where you are expected to learn tactics and be able to speak intelligently towards it. With your timeline, the odds are that you will be flying the E-2D with refueling so keep that in mind.

However, that being said, the hardest thing you will do as an E-2 pilot is bring that big girl aboard the ship at night. Open for PMs if you want some more info/insight.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
However, that being said, the hardest thing you will do as an E-2 pilot is bring that big girl aboard the ship at night. Open for PMs if you want some more info/insight.

^^^This...

Imagine driving a dump truck around a parking garage at 80mph with no power steering. That’s essentially what it’s like trying to land this thing on the boat at night. But don’t worry. Everyone gets good at it by the end of cruise. ?

OscarMyers

None
What do VAW pilots and VFA pilots have in common? We both wanted to go VFA.

There. I said it.

That being said, I’m still happy where I ended up, for lots of reasons:

Pros:
1.) Shorter briefs (except Fallon)
2.) More flight time
3.) Shorter debriefs (except Fallon)
4.) Multi-engine time (for “the Show”)
5.) Not “fuel critical” right after takeoff
6.) No tanking (yet...)

Cons:
1.) Flying jets looks like fun

PM me for specific questions.

~VAW Pilot

Don't forget you get to hangout with four of your best buds in the plane! Nothing bonds a crew more then one of them taking a poop inside a pressurized aircraft. Also, just the community in general is great, with a lot less stabby stabby/spear chucking then most.

OscarMyers

None
With E-2 AR coming online, add tanking behind a Rhino to the list of things an E-2 Pilot has to wrestle old girl to do.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The quality of GoPro type cams are impressive - here's recent production by an E-2 driver doing CQ,. I still laugh that there is a humble Garmin GNS 530 Nav in the center panel. (very capable piece of OTS gear gear - I am pleasantly surprised at the common sense of giving the E-2 the capability of WAAS RNAV LPV, ILS, and VHF comms in one very rugged box).