• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting enough is where did the Hornet or Intruder come from that was actually armed? Launch the Alert?

During my timeframe, which I believe encompasses the shootdown, I never flew without ordnance off the carrier unless it was CQ or a fly-off. Even in peacetime, the ordies always loaded one of everything (air-to-air) for captive carry program that rotated missiles out of the magazines and checked their status. In 1993 however, several blue-on-blues changed that and the rush was on to provide CATMs. I know Hornets fly better with Sidewinders on the wingtips anyway.

Nose

pilot
During my timeframe, which I believe encompasses the shootdown, I never flew without ordnance off the carrier unless it was CQ or a fly-off. Even in peacetime, the ordies always loaded one of everything (air-to-air) for captive carry program that rotated missiles out of the magazines and checked their status. In 1993 however, several blue-on-blues changed that and the rush was on to provide CATMs. I know Hornets fly better with Sidewinders on the wingtips anyway.

Yeah, I think that they had a 1,1,0 and guns load for "normal" ops. As mentioned above, the guns load was almost a requriement for weight and balance...

Nose

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
When did that Admiral's son F-14 pilot shoot down the USAF RF-4 over the Med?

"I know it was an exercise and he was one of ours but they told me to shoot!"

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
When did that Admiral's son F-14 pilot shoot down the USAF RF-4 over the Med?

"I know it was an exercise and he was one of ours but they told me too shoot!"

My boss who just retired knew that pilot. The story he tells me, if 100% true, is just crazy. Your quote above pretty much sums up what he told me. NutZZZ :eek:

26Retro

Recovering COD pilot
I would expect them to exercise common sense... Cargo - Peace out!

Yeah, but sometimes that cargo consists of the 25 swab handles, 8 crates of sandpaper, and 15 boxes of floor wax that the big XO is counting on for "happy hour" the next morning.

If you don't stick with the plane and try to get it aboard then the knee-knockers won't be all shiny and the blue tile area won't sparkle and it will all be on your head :icon_wink

Steeljaw Scribe

Это действительно - наука ракеты!
None
My boss who just retired knew that pilot. The story he tells me, if 100% true, is just crazy. Your quote above pretty much sums up what he told me. NutZZZ :eek:
'87-'89 I was the VAW Training & Readiness officer in the RR @ AIRLANT (Fox Fallon was head, having just come from his DCAG tour). As one of the only 2 JO's in the office (pre-DH O-4 in an office full of post command O-5's) my "collateral" duty was CNAL FNAEB/FNFOEB coordinator. My first FNAEB was the RF-4 shootdown, which was the source of no small joy on the part of the guy I relieved (who was laughing all the way out the door).

Unbelievable doesn't even begin to cover the shootdown and subsequent FNAEB recommendations before it got to AIRLANT...:icon_what

B

Blutonski816

Cool article. But, don't the Israelis also operate the E-2?

They had four. They later put 'em away in '94, sold three to Mexico in '02, the fourth is in a museum.

Theirs had in-flight refuelling capabilities...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Tube monkeys"? Moles, window lickers, tube rats maybe. The front-enders are the stick monkeys.

I find the lead pic interesting...115 doesn't have five planes, does it? Or maybe it's including a Japense E-2?

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
"Tube monkeys"? Moles, window lickers, tube rats maybe. The front-enders are the stick monkeys.

I find the lead pic interesting...115 doesn't have five planes, does it? Or maybe it's including a Japense E-2?

According to a feature article on CVW-5 by Tony Holmes that will be in the Summer 08 issue of The Hook magazine:

"VAW-115 has five aircraft, compared to ConUS E-2C fleet units that have only four. "

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
According to a feature article on CVW-5 by Tony Holmes that will be in the Summer 08 issue of The Hook magazine:

"VAW-115 has five aircraft, compared to ConUS E-2C fleet units that have only four. "

Huh. Interesting. Didn't know that. Wonder if they take 'em all to the Boat at the same time? And if so, where do they put 'em? Or do they just leave one ashore?