• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2/C-2 Life?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
These are 2 very different communities who fly similar aircraft.

I am one of the 3 (that I can think of) COD guys that are regularly on the board. If you have any specific questions, please post them as a follow up. Here is just some quick info though... The COD community is small. We work in detachments of 2 airplanes, 6 pilots and 35 maintainers. We are a part of the airwing on a carrier, but we work very independent of the airwing often. We are shore based at a location near the carriers to provide the transport of high priority cargo and passengers.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
These are 2 very different communities who fly similar aircraft.

I am one of the 3 (that I can think of) COD guys that are regularly on the board. If you have any specific questions, please post them as a follow up. Here is just some quick info though... The COD community is small. We work in detachments of 2 airplanes, 6 pilots and 35 maintainers. We are a part of the airwing on a carrier, but we work very independent of the airwing often. We are shore based at a location near the carriers to provide the transport of high priority cargo and passengers.

Good info though through all my deployments (4), we had 42-43 maintainers and 7 officers (6 pilots and 1 MO). The new dets obviously have 35 maintainers.

Remember one thing about COD's, the flying isn't exciting. The boat can be but thats 1% of all the flying you do. It's the lifestyle on deployment that can be exciting. Living in four star hotels, restaurants, bars, strip clubs, beer, women, etc. Hard days are made better when ending it with beer :D

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
And Bunky wonders why I am switching to E2/C2

Hoping the selection at the RAG goes well. But both are cool.

That's why nobody ever leaves the COD community to go elsewhere. I know of one but it was an E-2 tour or shooter tour and he took the lesser of two evils. Hell, even kmac was getting hit on by good looking girls. Yes, kmac of all dudes. I remember the Danish girls in Hong Kong..........granted High School girls but I think 16 is legal overseas :)

MasterBates

Bunk, it sounds like an HSL det almost, but no shoes, no small boy, and no ASW.

Oh yeah, and the whole shore based and women thing too....

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's why nobody ever leaves the COD community to go elsewhere. I know of one but it was an E-2 tour or shooter tour and he took the lesser of two evils. Hell, even kmac was getting hit on by good looking girls. Yes, kmac of all dudes. I remember the Danish girls in Hong Kong..........granted High School girls but I think 16 is legal overseas :)

Dang I remember that now. I used such a stellar pick up line to the tune of "hey where did you get those peanuts? ....... whoa where's that accent from?" Those girls were calling out my name all night. Man it was too easy.

Of course that Thai girl was totally into you all night. She must have sensed you had extra per diem on you. And in case any of you are wondering, port calls for COD guys tend to be a lot more strict than when the ship is away (CAG rules and what not). Of course, maybe that's because we had Bunk as a boss.

MrSaturn

Contributor
What's goofy training? I just like people's stories, is all...

Not an interesting story but

Naval Academy Grad. So I qualify my training as goofy. My only
summer training with aviation was having a marine flying me around in a
T-34 for an hour doing aerobatics (AWESOME) and Jet guys showing us how
hard it is to land in their pretty F-14 Sim video game(not so much).

Although we have lots of officers on the yard. Only a few are in the
Aviation community. Most are helo or p-3s so I have a good idea what their lives are like.
Our Aviation Practicum lectures were from a P-3, 2 Helos and a Prowler pilot. So I got to
hear the sea stories, libo stories and all from those communities.

Everything I heard about E-2/C-2 is third hand. In fact I dont even remember meeting a
E-3/C-2 pilot. Since im in primary now, I just want to make sure I have all the perspectives.

So im picking out of the converstation-
Both Small communities
Fly often but seems to be routine
Great Shore Leave

C-2's love their job
E-2 not so much?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I had many of the same questions you do a little while ago. There are some folks down here in Corpus that you can talk to. CDR Winkler, the reserve component commander down here is an C2 flier. I still owe him one for getting me down the right road on landings...ever since he mentioned that when landing the COD there is a 6 foot lateral window (3 feet on either side) that you have to fly through without scraping a wingtip...I cling to centerline...:D His office is up at the Trawing building. In addition there is another wing staffer CDR who was an E2 flier...he works down at operations alot...can't remember his name off the top of my head but he is here. There are some resources here...you just have to dig.

And Bunky wonders why I am switching to E2/C2

Hoping the selection at the RAG goes well. But both are cool.

There have been quite a few C2 drops at the RAG lately, almost half and half. Some classes are actually fighting over the E2 slots. Who knows how long it will stay that way though. Either way I think you'll be happy. All the E2 guys here seem to like their job.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Dang I remember that now. I used such a stellar pick up line to the tune of "hey where did you get those peanuts? ....... whoa where's that accent from?" Those girls were calling out my name all night. Man it was too easy.

Yes they were. Not just one girl but 2 or three were calling out your name. They really dug you and I just don't get it. I think it's the innocent look, you've got that game nailed.

Of course that Thai girl was totally into you all night. She must have sensed you had extra per diem on you. And in case any of you are wondering, port calls for COD guys tend to be a lot more strict than when the ship is away (CAG rules and what not). Of course, maybe that's because we had Bunk as a boss.

That Thai girl was into me because she was a professional. Though regular Thai girls often behave that way so it's hard to tell sometimes. Yes, I was a bit strict but then again, nothing like having to go stand tall in front of a 1-Star to explain why your guys got into a fight, why you're staying in a certain hotel, why you're such a fuck up, etc. Then of course, having his COS rip into me for being such a fuck-up. Great times for a measley O-4 :eek: That was on my first OIC cruise by the way. One dude I didn't have to worry about was kmac.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
There have been quite a few C2 drops at the RAG lately, almost half and half. Some classes are actually fighting over the E2 slots. Who knows how long it will stay that way though. Either way I think you'll be happy. All the E2 guys here seem to like their job.

As I recall when I was StuCon at VAW-120, there were some guys who certainly wanted to fly E-2's. There are more opportunities for those who are long-term career minded in E-2's than COD's. Some guys wanted to become CAG paddles (they get a little transition time) and E-2's is the only way to go for that route as well (between the two aircraft).

HalfBreed

None
From what (little) I've seen and heard, other than landing on a carrier, the flying is not all that exciting.

C-2 guys enjoy the good life. Mainly on the shore, involving sucking up per diem, beer, and other things . . . However, if you are aiming for a career, go E-2s. E-2 pilots take off, fly around in circles, read magazines while the NFOs do their thing, and bring the plane safely back to the boat. Just keep in mind that it is an NFO oriented community due to its mission and the number of NFOs (3:2 NFO to pilot ratio).