• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2/C-2 Life?

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
Granted, I haven't been on the deck in awhile but it sure would seem to me that the Air Boss and Handler would not enjoy trying to find a spot for the V-22. Not to mention if it ever broke it would be like putting a H-53 onboard and no room to move it to.

Wouldn't you be loosing some capability with it's range and payload options. I can't imagine that going to 30ish C-2Bs would be enough to break the bank. It's not like they would have to create a new airframe from scratch. I mean I'm flying 50 yr old aircraft right now, even if they did sit for 20 yrs on alert and have less hours on them then a 5 yr old regional jet.

There would be no reason to have air defenses on it unless they will be participating in spec ops. Air to air, give me a break. It would be another qual that you would have to stay current with even though how often have you really been blue water ops. You might as well bring back the night traps and flying empty to the boat to stay current again. What a marvel idea that was, thanks Bash.

Needless to say the COD has proven it's worth and for a small amount of money it could be revamped to carry logistics into the next phase of Carriers.

Just my .02. Because that's about all its worth

macattack

So, how do the dets work? Do you go out for a set period of time then return stateside for sometime, or are you just in and out year round?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A COD det joins an Airwing at the beginning of C2X and will remain with the Airwing/Carrier until after the surge period. A det normally has 2 planes, 6 pilots and 38-40 maint folks.

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
Again, things may have changed but none of my dets were EVER really part of the Airwing. We were never onboard long enough to count or wanted to be counted.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Again, things may have changed but none of my dets were EVER really part of the Airwing. We were never onboard long enough to count or wanted to be counted.

Ok, I wasn't really trying to make a social statement with what I wrote, I was trying to answer the basic question of how dets work. The poster did not ask how the COD det fits into the social structure of the deployed airwing.

Is this phraseology more acceptable to you gray bush?

"Beginning with the Intermediate phase of training (notionally commencing with COMPTUEX), the Carrier Air Wing Commander (CVW CDR) will assume OPCON of the C-2A detachment assigned to provide dedicated support to the CSG." COMNAVAIRFORINST 4630.12

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
Oh, I see your going to make a fine new COD guy. Knowing how to read a regulation is going to get you far in the community. Make sure you take lots of notes and add the ability to be a sea lawyer to your resume. Just ask your OIC, he will probably know who was the last sea laywer that was asked to leave the community.

You want to bash me go right ahead, I like the PM by the way. However, all of the det items have been hammered out before I was just stating that you couldn't in my time throw a blanket over it and call it CODs are in the Airwing. Again, my time in the community has passed and things may have changed. Hell, they changed from Det to Det.

I was not talking about the social aspects either, I posted in another thread that the ability to have a flagstaff on your side because the Admiral felt that he owned you and not CAG was very good sometimes. It was useful in dip clearance and other adminsitrative issues. When your getting ready to launch into an unprotected country carrying SpecOps and cash for fuel it's nice to have a star or two behind you to question what is really happening. But your right, all I was thinking about was the social aspect of the deployment. Give me a break.

Granted when the admiral wants you to do a straight-in while deployed even though you have been to flying with the airwing in standeard ops, well that's a good idea also? Tell that to the Tomcat that was bellyup to us when we both were about to call the ball with 26 passengers. We initiated that procedure (breaking the deck with a straight-in) even though it didn't say anything about it in CV NATOPS. All because a DV got sick while in the back of the nasty COD in Puerto Rico. Not everything makes sense though does it. Of course the bottom of the stack was not part of CV NATOPS either but it was the preferred method. Maybe you have joined at a time when the COD community follow regulations to the T but would not be my guess.

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
Any questions?

Off of a t-shirt we produced back in the day at the Rawhides.

Top 10 reasons to be a COD Guy:

10. When it absolutely has to get there, sometime today...or tomorrow.

9. Cod guys hump harder.

8. After one shot with us we give you your cherry.

7. Because everyone wants a ride.

6. Working hard, playing hard, or staying hard....nothing outlasts a cod guy.

5. Cod guys load from the front or the rear.

4. Cod guys rule, boat guys drool.

3. A bad night on the beach is better than a good night on the boat.

2. We drink more by 0700 than the Airwing drinks all cruise.

1. Per Diem, Per Diem, Per Diem.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A COD det joins an Airwing at the beginning of C2X and will remain with the Airwing/Carrier until after the surge period. A det normally has 2 planes, 6 pilots and 38-40 maint folks.

38-40 people to maintain 2 aircraft. That is incredibly wasteful.

MasterBates

We have 25 for HSL 2 plane dets. And the birds are smaller. Plus, IIRC, some of the maintainers double as Aircrew.

Bunk, correct me if I am wrong on that.

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
Depends on which side of the world your on. West Coast Dets are slightly bigger because when they land on the beach they need the help with the logistics on there. Maintenance and such I believe.

Yes, of the 35 "maintainers" that are on a East Coast det there are 6 enlisted aircrews who's secondary job is maintenance plus a det maintenace chief. All in all that puts the real number of maintainers much more like 28. I don't think that is out of the question and not really wasteful. You have different levels of experience and as much as we all wish we had QA level maintainers that is not the case. You have to figure also that with the 1st classes that are on the det they are doing other jobs on the det also. QA, training, safety and such so they are not always available also. The Chief and the MO are usually discussing (fighting) with CAG maintenance to get parts for an aircraft that doesn't have parts available.

You want wasteful, I can probably find some examples from the Air Funk side of the house that would make your hair turn white.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We have 25 for HSL 2 plane dets. And the birds are smaller. Plus, IIRC, some of the maintainers double as Aircrew.

Bunk, correct me if I am wrong on that.

You have 25 maintainers on a ship? Good lord, no wonder the community has no money. Isn't the ROC/POE for like 14 or 15? We'd usually have around 15 or 16 if you include the chief.

MasterBates

We had 19 including the chief for a 1 plane BALTOPS. 2 bird CVBG det, we started with 25, but were down to 22 when it returned.

Yes, that is just maintainers. 1 OIC, 3 LT HAC's and 1 JG 2P (me) plus 2 AW2's on the BALTOPS. 1/2/3 OIC/HAC/2P and 1 AW1 and 2 AW3's on the CVBG det.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sheesh. 19 for a one-plane. I hope the bird was pristine when it came back w/ all that labor. :)