• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2/C-2 Life?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
bunk22 said:
Especially since I have yet to meet another aviator type (fighter, strike, helo) that could out party or out drink us :icon_smil
Please. OK, maybe because you have your tollerance built up from shore-basing ;)

Brett

mdubs

pilot
Bunk, would you say that the C-2 compares to P-3 in the quality of life aspect? I have heard that C-2 is the Navy's best kept secret, but there are a lot of prior guys that want to go P-3s to be shore based for the opportunity to be home a lot. When on cruise it seems that you get to see a lot of different places that most Navy pilots will never see (island hopping), do you get time to enjoy these places or is it a quick turn around back to the ship? When you go to shore tours, are you pretty much able to do everything (ie T-45, T-34 instructor) or does being a C-2 pilot restrict you in anyway? I am trying to look for a good mix of fun flying and good (relatively) family life and location. It seems P-3s are not that fun to fly but great to have a family and the opposite for jets. Where do you think C-2s fit in this mix? Also if you go E-2/C-2 and are hardcore C-2, do you think you have a pretty good chance of getting it? Thanks again, it is nice to get some anwsers from someone who is actually in your community

kappu411

Naval Aviator
Mr. bunk... looks like you are the go-to guy in this forum.... but if anyone else knows.. would flying an e-2 qualify for having the sought after wartime rating, (tactical), as oppose to the c-2, and also how does this play into making rank in the future...

thanx

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
kappu411 said:
Mr. bunk... looks like you are the go-to guy in this forum.... but if anyone else knows.. would flying an e-2 qualify for having the sought after wartime rating, (tactical), as oppose to the c-2, and also how does this play into making rank in the future...

thanx

The C-2 is not tactical (nor is the E-2) but the COD does have a wartime rating as you call it. Meaning, making it to O-5 or even O-6 isn't an issue. Commanding a C-2 squadron isn't an issue either anymore. The next tow XO's then CO's are both C-2 only pilots. However, certain jobs will not be attainable being a C-2 only guy. Making Admiral might be a problem and in that case, switching to E-2's would be a good choice. Or if becoming a CAG paddles is a big deal to a person, it might be wise to be an E-2 pilot.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Brett327 said:
Please. OK, maybe because you have your tollerance built up from shore-basing ;)

Brett

You got a challenge? Bring it on to DET-2 baby. I've got guys who can outdrink a fish and still be in control. Yes, it does have a little to do with being shore based. Helps build that alcohol tolerance. I might have my liver checked out when I return.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
mdubs said:
Bunk, would you say that the C-2 compares to P-3 in the quality of life aspect? I have heard that C-2 is the Navy's best kept secret, but there are a lot of prior guys that want to go P-3s to be shore based for the opportunity to be home a lot. When on cruise it seems that you get to see a lot of different places that most Navy pilots will never see (island hopping), do you get time to enjoy these places or is it a quick turn around back to the ship? When you go to shore tours, are you pretty much able to do everything (ie T-45, T-34 instructor) or does being a C-2 pilot restrict you in anyway? I am trying to look for a good mix of fun flying and good (relatively) family life and location. It seems P-3s are not that fun to fly but great to have a family and the opposite for jets. Where do you think C-2s fit in this mix? Also if you go E-2/C-2 and are hardcore C-2, do you think you have a pretty good chance of getting it? Thanks again, it is nice to get some anwsers from someone who is actually in your community

Not sure about the P-3 life or how we compare. I don't know many P-3 pilots. We do get to see a lot of different places though a lot of times, it is a quick turn around. Recently I saw Iwo Jima, Clark AFB, Phuket, etc but it was the airport and surrounding areas only. Other times we break down or spend the night. On this cruise, I've spent most of my time in Hawaii, Guam, Okinawa, and Singapore. I've flown over many areas and have gotten an especially low level view of the tsunami hit areas of Bande Ahce.

Being a C-2 pilot does not restrict you from flying any of the training command planes. I'm the only C-2 O-4 at my squadron that flew at the FRS. We have two that were prior S-3 pilots, and the other 4 flew T-45C's and T-2C's. One of our O-4's is going back to teach again in T-45's. The only thing that restricts a C-2 pilot is timing, thus me being an FRS instructor instead of being in Kingsville on my last tour :icon_rage But I'm not bitter ;)

C-2's are not that fun to fly either by the way. It's always exciting around the boat so you've got that going for you. The old night carrier landings use to raise the hairs a bit but the best thing about C-2's is the family life and leadership potential in the community.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I classed up this last Monday and I selected C-2!

Now I'm remembering why I hate ground school!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
HooverPilot said:

Welcome COD brother. Now your Go Ugly Early patch really applies :D

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HooverPilot said:

Stowbo likey the non-tac.

Kidding dude. Congrats. You made the right choice. Maybe I'll send ya a Propjock patch, if you represent.

(oh yeah Smellrod has a kid now. pm me).

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks, now I'm trying to figure out how the props work. Who ever thought up the whole pitch change assembly was either a genius or a psycho!

bart27

Is there a typical NSS range that one must have if they wish to go E2/C2? What is the demand like for E2/C2 guys? Is it steady or does it fluctuate like jets? I hope to select this next month. Thanks.

kaiangel

You have to have above the jet cutoff, 50 or 52 whichever it is. E2/C2 seems fairly undermanned so if you have the scores and ask for it, you probably have a good chance. Its a long training pipeline, but in the end I am sure it is worth it.

MrSaturn

Contributor
With all the goofy training I have had over the years I havent talked with an E-2 or C-2 guy.

Are any lurking around to give their experience on this platform?
All I ever hear is bad things.