• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dry Firing

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Okay, here it is direct from Beretta (I looked them up because I have a 9mm):

Excessive dry firing may prematurely wear out your firing pin. Therefore, Beretta does not suggest that you perform this function. If you must dry fire, it is best to fire onto a snap cap. Firing onto a spent casing is the next best alternative. Remember that when using a snap cap in an over and under, you must bump the rear of the stock to set the triggers for the 2nd shot.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Okay, well I just found an old Colt manual that says this:

Before firing yourColt revolver, practice your stance, aim,
rhythm and breathing for steady aim, with your revolver
UNLOADED. You can also dry-fire your revolver to get the
feel of the trigger action so that you can develop some
shooting skills without expending ammunition. You should
then practice firing on a range before going hunting or using
your revolver for any other type of shooting.

Who do I listen to???!!! :(

Zissou

Banned
Okay, well I just found an old Colt manual that says this:

Who do I listen to???!!! :(

Bro, They warn of excessive firing pin damage. Every 15,000 rounds or two years you should replace your firing pin anyway. The excessive damage is less in seriousness than live fire in the same volume.

Replace all springs and parts that SMACK after 15,000 rounds.

1911 owners already know about springs:D

A4's has a point, live fire is king. But dry fire in addition to, is better yet.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Im not so scared of dry firing that I wont do it, HOWEVER I'm also not one to think that it cant be bad just because the military does it during boot camp, or ever for that matter.

I dont know how knowledgeable the average Navy Sailor is regarding firearms. Most of the people who chime in here seem to know their $h!7. That being said we went to fire at Kirkland AFB the other day and I will say the guys running the show there thought they were awesome but infact just did a good job showcasing their ignorance. Especially the 2nd Lt security forces guy who aparently thought his badge was just as awesome as a Trident.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I've heard of dry firing being bad for .22 pistols like a Browning Buckmark. I wont ever dry fire my Browning....it's cheap enough to shoot! You can dry fire a Glock all day long, the manual doesn't even mention it.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dry fire my Glock. And my Garand. And my AR. And my Mosin.

The only things I make sure to use snapcaps for are my SIGs; IIRC SIGARMS recommends it.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Im not so scared of dry firing that I wont do it, HOWEVER I'm also not one to think that it cant be bad just because the military does it during boot camp, or ever for that matter.

I was speaking more to the training value of dry firing.

Although, I do believe that it is probably not good to "dry fire" an AR-15 with the upper receiver off it, allowing the trigger assembly to contact the bolt catch (as stated earlier).

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I guess the potential issue that some have with dry firing would be with the hammer forcing the lip of the firing pin into the back of the bolt carrier (M-16)? And over time the lip of the pin/back of the carrier would wear and flatten, exposing more of the firing pin beyond the bolt face? Sounds a little far fetched to me. The hammer spring isn't exactly a strong spring, and I doubt the metallurgy of the firing pin and bolt carrier assembly is that awful. I'm not saying that this wear won't happen over a LONG period of time, but I think that it is the very least of your worries in any modern firearm. Wear is normal in a firearm anyway. Is the fear that the pounding will make the firing pin overexpose itself, resulting in an AD? Once again, sounds far fetched.

I dry fire my weapons a lot at home just to practice trigger squeeze and I haven't noticed any wear on the firing pin or bolt carrier of my AR whatsoever. I can't speak for the Glocks, as I believe their striker mechanism is based on the principle of PFM and I leave it the hell alone.