• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dry Firing

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is the fear that the pounding will make the firing pin overexpose itself, resulting in an AD? Once again, sounds far fetched.
I can't see that happening. The AR has a free-floating firing pin, like the SKS and Garand. So it does fly forward and ding the primer when the bolt closes, just without enough force to set it off. The only thing that that kind of wear would do is create more space between the firing pin and the cotter pin which holds the firing pin in place, but this wouldn't make it protrude unnecessarily.

Supposedly, "new old" SKSes and, rarely, Garands, have a slamfire issue if improperly cleaned, due to Cosmoline holding the firing pin in the extended position. This causes the weapon to fire out-of-battery, from an open bolt.

But wear between the firing pin and bolt carrier of an AR wouldn't do this. The firing pin still could retreat into the bolt, as there is no agent like Cosmoline stopping it from doing so.
I can't speak for the Glocks, as I believe their striker mechanism is based on the principle of PFM and I leave it the hell alone.
Agreed. DA/SA FTW.

FlyinRock

RedFive
Lots of replies so I'll toss in my piece. Just for reference, I have a Distinguished Pistol Shot badge (ya ya I know whooppee), Presidents 100 Pistol and more than a few hundred shooting awards with rifle and pistol.
Specifically for dry firing, it is wise to ask the manufacturer what they recommend. Who knows better what mechanical damage can be done by dry firing than the people who make the gun? It is often addressed in the "Owners Handbook" and if you don't have that, ask the maker! With internet it is only a few keystrokes away.
As for the efficacy of dryfiring, it works. I've been teaching firearms and marksmanship for over 50 years. Since none of us was born with a firearm in hand, it is a learned skill rather than instinctive. Proper training coupled with proper practice will yield good results.
If you are burning up ammo and doing it wrong, you're gonna beat your head against the proverbial wall trying to figure out the problem. In the vast majority of cases, its trigger control and sight alignment. That can be cured or mitigated with dry firing. I'll further qualify that comment with the results of shooters I trained and coached to many medals in national and international competition up to and including national championships and winning international shoots like Pan Am Games and Games of the Americas.
Dry firing allows the individual to see any interruption of sight alignment or flaws in trigger manipulation during the shooting phases without the distractions of noise and recoil. Bottom line is it becomes a mental reflex and the body does what the brain tells it to.
One on one, I suggest the shooter do the dry firing against a well lit blank wall. That quickly shows any movement of the sights when the hammer falls. It also points out areas that need work such as stance, grip, or focus.
The mechanical part of it is determined by the maker of the gun and in many cases today is a liability factor rather than potential physical damage to the firearm. God only knows how many "rounds" I've dry fired since I began shooting with the USMC back in the early 50's. It has never caused any problems. The caveat is with rim fire calibers where the firing pin expects to hit the rim of a cartridge to soak up the striking energy. Same holds true of some of the older firearms but once again, it is up to the maker to advise you what is correct for that particular model gun.
Actually shooting is pretty simple. Grasp the firearm, align the sights and press the trigger. The details in between are the problem areas. <ggg>
I've shot well over a million rounds of just the 45ACP alone..... and yes I still dry fire after a layoff to dust off the muscle memory for shooting.
Cheers and Semper Fi
Best Holiday Regards to All
Rocky

FlyinRock

Why do take offs and landings? Why practice anything? The method of practice is in question.
IMO, dry firing refines muscle memory so when you do actual firing, the bullets all go where intended.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
So, what's the benefit of dry firing?

It shows if you are moving the gun at all while pulling the trigger. Some people snap the trigger to hard and jerk the gun in different directions. It takes a lot of trigger pulls to get it down. More for some people. Sometimes people anticipate the bang and recoil and it causes them to compensate by moving the gun. All of this messes up your shot.

Or say you already have good shooting skills with the guns you own. Then you pick up something new that has a stiffer trigger or one that hangs up a bit before firing. Its a good way to learn how the gun performs.

Its also how you can perform a function check on your weapon without actually firing a round

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
It shows if you are moving the gun at all while pulling the trigger. Some people snap the trigger to hard and jerk the gun in different directions. It takes a lot of trigger pulls to get it down. More for some people. Sometimes people anticipate the bang and recoil and it causes them to compensate by moving the gun. All of this messes up your shot.

Or say you already have good shooting skills with the guns you own. Then you pick up something new that has a stiffer trigger or one that hangs up a bit before firing. Its a good way to learn how the gun performs.

Its also how you can perform a function check on your weapon without actually firing a round

Another good drill to help cure flinching is called Ball and Dummy.

Works with rifle or pistol. Out of your line of sight have someone load a single round (ball) or not (dummy). Then they hand you the weapon and you shoot it without knowing if it's going to fire or not. You find out right away how much you are flinching when you pull the trigger. It can get almost comical to watch someone who is recoil sensitive go thru this.

With Ball and Dummy if you are calling your shots at the trigger break it's easy to see how much a bad flinch will throw you off target.

If you aren't concentrating on your front sight post enough to be able to call your shots you may be more lucky than good when you hit the black.

Brunes

pilot
Another good drill to help cure flinching is called Ball and Dummy.

Works with rifle or pistol. Out of your line of sight have someone load a single round (ball) or not (dummy). Then they hand you the weapon and you shoot it without knowing if it's going to fire or not. You find out right away how much you are flinching when you pull the trigger. It can get almost comical to watch someone who is recoil sensitive go thru this.

With Ball and Dummy if you are calling your shots at the trigger break it's easy to see how much a bad flinch will throw you off target.

If you aren't concentrating on your front sight post enough to be able to call your shots you may be more lucky that good when you hit the black.

+1...Helped a lot of new to shooting guys alot about muzzle control before they ever got a live round with Ball and Dummy...Taught myself about as much by showing them...