• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dry Firing

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I like the ball and dummy idea, I think I'll try it next time I go out.

Rocky, great input. I think you and the others have pretty much convinced me that dry firing is just fine. Thanks a lot!

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Redfive,

Why don't you just listen to the former Navy SEAL who has probably shot more bullets than you've shot your wad.. ? ;)

Zissou was a SEAL? Anyway, he's right, dry firing doesn't damage the weapon nearly as much as live rounds, much less blanks. I've been to some of the best combat pistol shooting schools in the country, and they all start out with at least a full day (or at least used to) of nothing but dry fire drills. Not to mention another hour before and after class practicing holster draw, sight picture and trigger pull and follow up shot mechanics by yourself. Good pistol shooting is almost all muscle memory and is mastered by repetition to the point where the entire cycle from target recognition, draw, pull and follow up are instinctive. It all starts with quality dry fire practice.

It's about the same thing as doing several blind cockpit drills before you get checked out in a new aircraft.

MR-

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Ugh. This reminds me of the endless hours of having to "snap in" prior to, and during, range week. :icon_rage