• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dry Firing

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I haven't seen this covered here. Any explanation on why people say it's bad to dry fire? Is this advice outdated? Looking for a technical explanation instead of just gossip and I figured you guys would be a good start.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Continually hitting the firing pin with the hammer when there is no resistance (ie from a primer or snap cap) can knock the firing pin out of its proper spacing.

I have been told this does not apply to striker fired weapons, but have none and therefore have not looked further into the issue.

Random Task

pilot
Continually hitting the firing pin with the hammer when there is no resistance (ie from a primer or snap cap) can knock the firing pin out of its proper spacing.

To add to that, at least in an AR, even if you have the bolt carrier group out and you dry fire, the hammer will impact close to the bolt catch and could damage the workings of the bolt catch as well. Obviously one instance probably won't ruin the gun but over time it's adds up.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
And then if you're in a parade rendering honors at the Academy it's also disrespectful/annoying.

Zissou

Banned
There is absolutely no damage to a firearm from dry firing that comes close to the wear and tear of live fire. The specific damage that people speak of that is unique to dry firing is too minor to worry about.

Dry firing is the single most important self training anyone can do.

I cannot emphasize the importance of dry fire.

If you arent shooting 500rds a week you should spend 15 minutes a week doing dry fire training. Just to stay marginal.

H60Gunner

Contributor
There is absolutely no damage to a firearm from dry firing that comes close to the wear and tear of live fire. The specific damage that people speak of that is unique to dry firing is too minor to worry about.

Dry firing is the single most important self training anyone can do.

I cannot emphasize the importance of dry fire.

If you arent shooting 500rds a week you should spend 15 minutes a week doing dry fire training. Just to stay marginal.

I've heard the same thing from the same people as Zis (quiet professionals).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
One man's experience/$20 worth:

The ONLY firearm I've personally heard of being "damaged" by dry-firing was one USING a snap-cap !!!

Dry-firing w/ modern weapons should not be an issue ... whether it's a couple of times or hundreds. It's usually a question of degree and weapon design. I used to do it on 1911's (pre-war) and Ruger .22's and Glocks and an HKP7M8 and modern revolvers when competing and instructing. No problems ... ever. But when competing ... I used ammo for practice -- not dry-firing as a general rule. I mean .. what's the object of the exercise, anyway??? I like the "reality" of a full load. Dry-firing has it's purpose, just not too much for me. :)

BUT: you should always go to the manufacturer for guidance as your default stance -- if you can find it. You will usually find as many opinions out there among friends/acquaintances/gun-gurus on the merits of dry-firing your gun as there are firearms.

Do you dry-fire once in a while or when putting the firearm to bed after cleaning/unloading?? Probably gonna' be O.K. forever and the gun's firing pin will outlast you. I dry-fire my carry handguns every day that I "carry" ... that's as in many, many years ... never had a problem.

Do you plan on doing it thousands of times for training evolutions?? First: what the hell is the matter w/ you -- buy more ammo and go to the range!!! Second: you could use snap caps or some guys use spent brass if it makes you feel better.
Or you could buy a training barrel or a dry-fire training gun which are most likely a waste of money. Probably not necessary for 99% of the shooting public. Buy ammo instead.

Unless you are a professional competition shooter, dry-firing should never be an issue in a modern firearm.

Since we're getting into somewhat esoteric firearms areas here --- suggestion: don't release the slide onto an already chambered round. Many guns don't like that --- instead, insert magazine, release slide taking one off the top of the seated magazine, drop the magazine, and top off. :)

Then take two aspirin and call me in the morning ...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
To piggyback on Z, if you shoot in competitions and if you wanna be competitive, you need to dry fire almost as much as you fire live ammo. It worked for me.

A4's, gotta disagree with you on the average Joe dry firing. Even f you just go out and shoot every now and then, dry firing still is a good idea as it just gets you familiar with a gun and how it feels without the associatd bang. Also, it helps to get rid of any jerking/pushing/heeling, and everyone likes to at least be able to shoot decent.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...A4's, gotta disagree with you on the average Joe dry firing....
No disagreement ... it just doesn't do it for me ... I just prefer to shoot. And I ain't average. Or Joe. :)

Like I said ... I dry fire every day prior to holstering up ... for years an' years.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Okay, I agree with your statement to seek out the manufacturer's stance on this issue. That's a good suggestion.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... if you shoot in competitions and if you wanna be competitive, you need to dry fire almost as much as you fire live ammo...
I've heard this over and over ever since I've been shooting. Most guys DON'T shoot competitively.

Didn't do it for me ... I shot and took 2nd and 3rd on the west coast twice in the late 80's/early 90's on the NAVRES Rifle/Pistol Team ... and I did minimal dry firing. I suppose you're gonna' say ... IF I had, mebbe I'd won ... ??? :D

Naaaaaa .... but each to his own. Rock on. I'll see you on the range, knee deep in spent brass ... :)

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I thought this thread was going to be anatomical. I really need to get into guns...