• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DREAM SHEET -- '60's-'70's

DREAM Sheet -- Naval Air of the '60's/'70's

• Total voters

brownshoe

Contributor
how about a Limey jet from the 60's??
bucc-s1.jpg

Is that a “Bucaneer?” Been awhile, but I was at P’cola on quals when the Navy was looking at them, saw em' operating to and from the Lex.. Looks like one.

Steve

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
how about a Limey jet from the 60's??
bucc-s1.jpg

Saw one once ... and as it was arguably the Brit version of an A-6 when I got a good look inside the cockpit, I gave thanks for the relative "simplicity" of the Intruder cockpit.

In point of fact, most of our Brit exchange Officers came from either the front or back seat of the Buccaneer. They all preferred the A-6 and it's side-by-side seating.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did the Bucs ever see combat?

At least in the Gulf war carrying laser designators for Tornados, our Brit Nav exchange guy in 129 flew them, and in South African colors in the border wars of the 70's and 80's.

brownshoe

Contributor
Saw one once ... and as it was arguably the Brit version of an A-6 when I got a good look inside the cockpit, I gave thanks for the relative "simplicity" of the Intruder cockpit.

In point of fact, most of our Brit exchange Officers came from either the front or back seat of the Buccaneer. They all preferred the A-6 and it's side-by-side seating.

Wasn't this the start of the Harrier? Or at least that's what I remember.

Steve

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Don't know about the TSR, but the Arrow was widely regarded as well ahead of its time.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Well that's what I've heard from guys that I've known who've flown them. I got bombarded the last few days about horror stories about A-7s crashing frequently or literally falling apart in the sky.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Well that's what I've heard from guys that I've known who've flown them. I got bombarded the last few days about horror stories about A-7s crashing frequently or literally falling apart in the sky.

I've never heard of that but I also don't know anyone who flew them. A4's or others in this timeframe, input.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Aren't A-7s notorious for crashing off the end of the carrier and breaking a lot.
Not to my knowledge. I believe the A-7 had a better safety record than many (most?) other Navy aircraft of the day, even though it was single-engine.

However, I believe when the A-7 was first introduced, the very early models had some serious engine problems and some losses. But these were quickly corrected with better and more reliable engines.

The aircraft also suffered some large losses over North Vietnam. But that was mostly because of their many numbers and repeated exposure to the most heavily defended targets, and not any aircraft problems (although their slower speed didn't help).

Related

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Second-hand info, but close to home... My brother was flight deck chief for VA-72 in the mid-80s and my current boss was CO of VA-192 in the early '80s... neither has any stories about the aircraft "falling apart" or anything like that. It did have its problems, but none to the scale you suggest.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Aren't A-7s notorious for crashing off the end of the carrier and breaking a lot......Well I'm also talking about Post-Vietnam .... Well that's what I've heard from guys that I've known who've flown them. I got bombarded the last few days about horror stories;
Your sources are wrong. Or perhaps they just saw you coming ... ?? :)

I flew w/ them for 3 cruises and they lost fewer birds than the A-6's or F-4's. The Fruit-fly's overall accident rate was some ridiculously LOW number and their combat related losses were low also
(0.04%).

I waved them for hundreds of passes and their only weakness was slow power response when they got lo/slo in the groove.

I flew an A7E
for @ 7.5hours (LSO Xtrain) and found it a breeze to fly. That's w/ no ground school, NATOPs check-out, or RAG ... and easy aircraft to fly ... :)

The things that ultimately killed the A7 were that it was a single purpose, subsonic, high radar signature aircraft.