• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

downside to jets

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Minuses: you don't *really* get a cool callsign you can use to pick up chicks at a bar... more likely to get "Blumpkin" than "Iceman"...

What!!!!???!!!!:eek: I was all set on being called "Maverick." That sounded like such a badass name.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Minuses: you don't *really* get a cool callsign you can use to pick up chicks at a bar... more likely to get "Blumpkin" than "Iceman"...

You know, I have my own definition of what a "Blumpkin" is, but somehow I don't think it's the same...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
If it involves simultaneous oral stimulation and defaction... then yes... yes it is...

I see we're on the same page.

Chubby

bunk22 said:
I would have to agree with you there. This is coming from a guy who fly's aircraft with no ejection seats and had to ride one in off a touch-n-go gone horribly wrong. If I had had the yellow and black handle that day, would have pulled it.
Story time! Dish it. On a related note, I've always wondered what would happen if an E2/C2 lost an engine on the cat stroke or had a soft shot. What do you do there, is it recoverable single engine, etc.?

Pags

N/A
pilot
gatordev said:
I see we're on the same page.
excellent, new word for the foul mouthed litany. it would seem to have fewer uses than "gunt", but you never know when you're gonna need a new word.

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
Chubby said:
Story time! Dish it. On a related note, I've always wondered what would happen if an E2/C2 lost an engine on the cat stroke or had a soft shot. What do you do there, is it recoverable single engine, etc.?

Yes, they open their bomb bay doors and drop the NFOs. The aircraft preforms quite well in the FO-less regime. Thats why so many NFOs want east coast hawkeyes, because there's lots of sharks in the Pacific.

ARRRRGH maties!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
BOMBSonHAWKEYES said:
Yes, they open their bomb bay doors and drop the NFOs. The aircraft preforms quite well in the FO-less regime. Thats why so many NFOs want east coast hawkeyes, because there's lots of sharks in the Pacific.

ARRRRGH maties!
At that point, they might as well go ahead and crash. Once the NFOs are gone, the plane is useless. :eek: :D

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Chubby said:

Like Mefesto said, try the search for the full story. The quick version, while practicing SSE's (simulated single engine) the student cross controlled the aircraft (rudder and aileron) and stalled us almost immediately. I reacted to late and off roading we went. Single engines off the cat can be flown away successfully, it has happened in E-2's. Never heard of a COD going single engine off the cat though. I had a flameout off a touch-n-go during FCLP's back in 02. The airplane was relatively light but it was hot and humid so it took some TLC for me to climb to a safer altitude and turn to come around and land. If we had been in Bahrain with a full load of pax and gas during the summer time, I doubt we could have stayed airborne for very long. Would not mind flying ejection seat aircraft for my next tour.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So you winged, reported to -106, finished ground school, fams, and solo'd a single seat jet all since December? Wow, Hornetland really is moving along.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
There's always someone more senior around, even in SERE. Or at least, tell yourself that. I was worried, as I was pretty senior as well (a month from O-3). But there was an O-4 'FO, an O-3 Marine, one of my RAG buddies who filled his date of rank out wrong, and countless SEALs in my year group.

Now, that said, mind the SERE posts. I think it's gay when someone BEADWINDOWs someone, but we've had to close other threads because it went down the wrong path. You guys know the drill.

I was never one for comparing lineal numbers and it seems to only matter in a good way in picking rooms on the boat and a negative way at SERE school. I was a LT when I went and was sure I was toast (from hearing from those who had been), but then an Intel LCDR (who didn't have to be there, but he was a CAG Intel type and CAG set him up to go) showed up :) Always wondered if CAG wanted to broaden his perspective or was punishing him. His perspective was indeed broadened and if CAG wanted him to pay for some transgression or inadequacy, he got his wish. As Dash-2, my turn in the barrel was minimal thanks to him and his seniority and special attention he garnered.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
squeeze said:
So you winged, reported to -106, finished ground school, fams, and solo'd a single seat jet all since December? Wow, Hornetland really is moving along.

LOL... this coming from the guy who tried (repeatedly) to convince me in the chat room that VFA-106 E/F would not be accepting Cat Is by summer '05...

Yeah, squeezie. Things ARE moving along in Hornetland. Try to keep the know-it-all commentary to what you actually know ;)