• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

downside to jets

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
It seems everyone wants to be a jet/fighter pilot. What are the disadvantages to selecting jets, both during training, in the fleet, etc. ?

Everyone likes their platform but I've 'heard' a bunch of different things regarding being a jet guy such as being the most deployed, little flying time, and other such tales. What's the story?

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
most vocal gripe i've heard (or at least reason to select something else) was longest time in training before you get your wings.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Or sitting around while your jets are red striped eh squeeze...jk...had to do it..I guess people bitch about the level of mission planning sometimes in the fleet and the fact that single-seat squadrons have very few JOs meaning that all the guys get worked pretty hard....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
dodge said:
....... What are the disadvantages to selecting jets, both during training, in the fleet, etc. ? What's the story?

Every community has it's +'s and -'s ..... they are all good. You're in Naval Aviation. The best. Personal preferences to some degree. But there aren't any disadvantages to selecting jets --- if you can get 'em --- take 'em and consider yourself lucky. :)

phrogpilot73

Aside from being a jet fag?!? :D

The only think I can think of is that you don't fly like a bird. Helos do. Sideways, backwards, you name it, we can do it. Harriers may say they can, but I can do it until I run out of gas (not water!)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With jets you can go real fast (yes even faster than sound) and can also look good even sitting still. You get the lion's share of the CNN video coverage and the public adoration...plus chicks dig it.

Yeah, go helos. ;)

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I'd say living on a carrier...for those who don't have to do it, we hate going when we go. Maybe because I'm not even SAR support for them ;)

The work-up cycles and travelling is also intense, but I wouldn't consider this a down side...in fact, I don't even think my wife does either :D

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
dodge said:
It seems everyone wants to be a jet/fighter pilot. What are the disadvantages to selecting jets, both during training, in the fleet, etc. ?

Everyone likes their platform but I've 'heard' a bunch of different things regarding being a jet guy such as being the most deployed, little flying time, and other such tales. What's the story?

So does anyone have any answers to this question that don't involve shitting yourself?

KBayDog

C'mon - there's got to be an upside to jets that doesn't involve crapping yourself or forbidden love.

KBayDog

vanity said:
lol, figured if there was a jet thread Top gun would find a way into it somehow

Now we're just waiting for the Chuck Norris reference, and the thread will be complete.